Close

Default Cam install with motor in car??

Is this possable on a 85 GT?? Theres not much of a grille opening. Ive only done this on a 65 El Camino with a inline 6 and a 73 Chevy truck with V-8. Both with large grille's. All the other cam installs Ive done have been with motor out of vehicle. Tho with 225,000 miles I'll probly just wait to do heads, cam, intake til I rebuild the motor.
    85 T-top GT. 5 speed. Bought all original, now has C springs, SN95 5 lug conversion with 2000 GT wheels, subframes, homemade shifter, and cool custom fiberglass sub box with spinner woofer grille!!
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com/trailblazr81/

Yep... you gotta swing the radiator and condenser out of the way, but it works fine. Just did it last year.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Yeah man. Pull the radiator, condensor, if you have a/C, and it'll come out like butta.
    1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L
    51,000 original miles
    FR500's & cobra brakes
    Motor mods ect.ect.

Remember to be VERY careful when you remove and install the camshaft, you can easily damage a cam bearing.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Yep you should be good like everyone said. Move the radiator and condensor and your good. Just be carefull with that cam..I've done it a few times, you should have no trouble.
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

Talking

Yaaaaaaaa!!! Well removing just radiator is no biggie. That 65 El Camino had alot of stuff to take off; radiator, grille, grille support pieces, and the bumper so we could get to a couple bolts.
    85 T-top GT. 5 speed. Bought all original, now has C springs, SN95 5 lug conversion with 2000 GT wheels, subframes, homemade shifter, and cool custom fiberglass sub box with spinner woofer grille!!
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com/trailblazr81/

FEP User

how about break the trans/engine mount loose.
    remove trans crossmember and tilt the front of the motor up.it would give you alittle more access to the front of the motor and make the job alittle easier.
    just my .02