Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Fordguy, I have yet to get to the exhaust....I am looking to get the motor/trans in this thing this week if the weather would just warm up about 10*, at 8 in the AM it's still dang chilly and it's easier just to stay inside. I was probably going to just run some turndowns off the back of my Borla's (cheap partstore addon's)
    when I got to that point.
    ~~~Project Granny Sled~~~
    ~~~4 doors and some hurt feelings~~~
    79 Ford Fairmont with ALOT of mustang parts

Update 2/07/07

Got the upper/lower Cobra intake matched to my 1262 gaskets on the head side and then to the bigshot plate kit inbetween the upper/lower. Intake will get put on tomorrow.

I also got the mustang hood latching mechanism installed (can't stand how anyone can just come along and open the hood ) Just need to get the mustang hood release cable and run it into the interior.

Also need to figure out what the deal is with the trans cross member and then go from there....

Thanks.
    Brad

I understand that. I was lucky the '78 Futura and the '83 Fairmont sedan had locking hood latches. I had to get the whole assembly from a wreck Fairmont to convert the non-lock unit on my '78 Fairmont wagon. There's being thrifty and then there's just plain cheap!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Motor and trans are going in this w/e along with a new set of SHOES Will get some updated pics as soon as we get done...

Brad

The motor dropped in depends on how cold the Brewski's are!!!!!! Or how many are comsumed before we get to that stage in the day..lol
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MA84LX View Post
    The motor dropped in depends on how cold the Brewski's are!!!!!! Or how many are comsumed before we get to that stage in the day..lol
    OH SNAP....

update 3/4/07

got the motor/trans/trans cooler/mini starter in and installed the rims, just need some new rotors. Just have do a little fab work on the trans cross member mounting tabs and get that straight, then it's on to plumbing the fuel lines. Cut out the sparetire well to accomodate the mustang gas tank since I'm running the foxbody dash/gauges, so I'll have to fab up some straps etc to hang the tank correctly....driveshaft and some misc. wiring and she'll be ready to go here shortly.

NEW SHOES

trans mount (mustang) in the fairmont, notice the "shorter" width

Last edited by ncontt; 08-03-2009 at 04:06 PM.

looking good! i like the mach magnums on it, i want a set for mine.
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

thanks, they are REALLY growing on me...I was pretty sure I'd like them but everytime I walked by them they just looked better and better...lol

update 3/10/07
    drilled out spot welds holding the stock fairmont trans x-member in and will reweld in a mustang/AOD friendly spot

3/11/07
    blacked out the grille today....will get it mounted here in the next few days..I also need to install the "remote" mustang style hood release as I have already mounted the mustang latch assembly

Last edited by ncontt; 03-12-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncontt View Post
    update 3/10/07
    drilled out spot welds holding the stock fairmont trans x-member in and will reweld in a mustang/AOD friendly spot

Id like to see pics of the relocated x-member brackets.
    Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

FEP Senior Member

Update 2/07/07

I also got the mustang hood latching mechanism installed (can't stand how anyone can just come along and open the hood ) Just need to get the mustang hood release cable and run it into the interior.

Thanks.
    Brad
    Heck............I can not even remember the last time I locked any of my cars out here in West Texas......It's been years.......and everyone is so used to inside hood latches nowadays, they can't even find the outside latch.

Quote Originally Posted by paul78zephyr View Post
    Id like to see pics of the relocated x-member brackets.
    Paul
    Bear in mind it's just loosely bolted in now and they need to be beat back into submiss.....er shape and then rewelded.

how are you mounting the computer?

Quote Originally Posted by fordguy View Post
    LOL, funny you should ask...more than likely, in the glovebox or behind there...depending on wire length, I hate to have to extend 60 wires.. :yikes:

LOL, funny you should ask...more than likely, in the glovebox or behind there...depending on wire length, I hate to have to extend 60 wires.. :yikes:
    if (when) i go efi i'm going to try and mod inside the pass side kick panel area like the later cars. figure it can't be to hard, right?

Im still working on my EFI conversion. I have all my harnesses modified and basically ready. Ive looked at lots of EFI Mustangs and how the wiring to the ECU/PCM is routed. The F/Z does not have the correct configuration in the passenger side kick panel to mount the ECU like the late model Mustang does. My plan is to put the required oval hole in the firewall as close to its stock Mustang position as I can so that the harness lays right in the engine compartment. Beyond that I figure I can 'mount' the ECU under the right side of the dash - perhaps with some large tiestraps to hold it to some of the underdash bracing. I would also like to hear how others have tackled this.

Paul
    1978 Mercury Zephyr 4-dr / Holley 600 vac sec carbed 1989 5.0L HO with Edelbrock Performer intake / MSD-6A / T-5 / 8.8" rear 3.27:1 / Mustang 5.0L brakes, suspension, steering / Dual exhaust / Mustang 10 hole wheels / P225/60R15 Goodyear Eagle TR

Bear in mind it's just loosely bolted in now and they need to be beat back into submiss.....er shape and then rewelded.
    Wow, that was alot of work but it looks like you have your solution. Looks good - Id like to see pics after you get it all welded/bolted back up.

Paul

i just remembered this site, i'm going to do it how he did
    http://forgottenfox1.50megs.com/codeblue.html

Nice project you have there!

That car will fool alot of people. I thought about a 4 door Fairmont one time and make it look like a police car. ( with black wheels and poverty caps)

I'll keep watching your posts.

i just remembered this site, i'm going to do it how he did
    http://forgottenfox1.50megs.com/codeblue.html
    If you are referring to how he mounted his ECU I think that was a lot of work that really is not necessary. Im not criticizing him - his Fairmont is beautiful, a really nioce job. I just think that cutting all that metal out of the kick panel to but the ECU in the stock Mustang is overkill.

Paul

Computer mounting: drill the spot welds from the kick panel backing plate and cut the appropriate piece from a Mustang - then weld back together. That piece is bulged out about 1 - 2 inches on the Mustang to make room for the computer. It is not really that hard to do. I figured that was much easier than extending all those #$%@ wires and way less likely to get screwed up.

Another thing - one of the tools that I found absolutely invaluable when doing the swap was a spot weld drill. Get a couple of good ones because you will be using them a lot. I used mine to remove the kick panel, shifter hump, trans crossmember mount, tank mounts, e-brake cable mounts and God knows what else from the Mustang donor. Much easier to do with the correct tool.

The tool looks like a small hole saw with a spring loaded point in the middle to locate it. I recommend getting a good one from a body shop supply store - had some trouble with a cheap one.

Thumbs up computer in a Fairmont

Mine lays on the passenger floorboard under the carpet and no one notices. So far (11 years now) so good. Ken.
    1975 Bronco (needs lots of work)

Two 1978 Fairmonts
    One not so nice and the yellow one
    5.0 fuelie
    31 spline 9"
    4.11 gears
    T-56
    Baer 13" brakes
    11.3" Crown Vic rear discs
    1993 Mustang dash, console
    18X10 w/305/45 Nitto 555Rs
    17X8 w/245/45 Nitto 555s

1953 C500 COE
    2006 F550 drivetrain

602-525-4474

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Newman View Post
    Mine lays on the passenger floorboard under the carpet and no one notices. So far (11 years now) so good. Ken.
    Thats a good solution. Ken, can you talk about haw you 'stretched' a stock set of Mustang fuel lines to fit the F/Z chassis. Dean T said thats what you did.

Thanks,
    Paul

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast