Close

Default 1983 Lincoln Mark VI questions...

Well, Ryan got a new car. Personally, I think its really ugly...lol...But anyway, he has a few questions that I thought maybe some of you guys might know. It is a 83, Lincoln Mark VI. Has a EFI 302 in it. He was wondering about the dizzy. He says it dont have any wires going to it, just spark plug wires. Was wondering how it runs....lol... And he was wondering if you adjust the timming like you would on a regular car, or if there is some kind of trick? Thanks guys! And I'll get some pics tomorrow, but its ugly!!!
    "Swaddled in a silent, climate-controlled cocoon of leather, modern drivers are subjected to what could only be charitably called a rubber room."

-1983 RS Capri:302,demon,blower,baer,svo,3:73,viper 6 spd,Trickflow,Eibach,BBK,borla, msd,autometer,ect.
    -1980 RS Capri: $300 junkyard find, aka: Project Resurection
    -1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC: Daily Driver
    -2007 GT: alloy metallic, 4.6, motorsport 2.3 supercharger, 3:73 gears, 20" shelby wheels, borla exhaust, cervinis functional ram air hood, side scoops, dyno 475 to the wheels.

Those have a crankshaft sensor instead of the pick-up in the distributor. I had a 84 cougar with a CFI 302 that was the same. I think you set the timing the same way...disconnect the spout, adjust it and plug it back in.
    83 Mustang Hatch made Coupe with a 5.0, t-5 and sporting 10 holes. View my progress on my Cardomain Site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2363043/1

FEP Senior Member

Man, I love those cars. Did he get a 2 door or 4? Get pics up soon.

Chuck

It is a 2 door, and in really good shape. Someone has painted it a very ugly color for that car, but the body is great! Here are some pics...

"Swaddled in a silent, climate-controlled cocoon of leather, modern drivers are subjected to what could only be charitably called a rubber room."

-1983 RS Capri:302,demon,blower,baer,svo,3:73,viper 6 spd,Trickflow,Eibach,BBK,borla, msd,autometer,ect.
    -2007 GT: alloy metallic, 4.6, motorsport 2.3 supercharger, 3:73 gears, 20" shelby wheels, borla exhaust, cervinis functional ram air hood, side scoops, dyno 475 to the wheels.

Sweet. There's one just like that (although not as gawdy a color) in my condo complex.
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Yes, someone has painted it at some point in time. I cannot stand the color!

FEP Senior Member

I've been looking for one in decent shape here for the last 2 years.

Got grandious dreams of a blown mod motor'd sleeper.

Chuck

It's an '83 CFI, 302? Most likely it's an EEC3 system. There are NO wires going to the dist?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

"It's an '83 CFI, 302? Most likely it's an EEC3 system. There are NO wires going to the dist?"

He says he didnt see anything, and looked twice. If there is one, then it has to be hid extreemly well!

"I've been looking for one in decent shape here for the last 2 years.

Got grandious dreams of a blown mod motor'd sleeper.

Chuck"

Sell it to ya...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Loco_Chick View Post

He says he didnt see anything, and looked twice. If there is one, then it has to be hid extreemly well!
    Well the EEC3 dist only has one or two wires IIRC. There is no module on it like the EEC4.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

hey cool looking car. your right it is ugly theres an olive green one of those running around my town, i see it once in a while.
    1980 Mustang Ghia 3.3 4spd

cool, I don't see many VI's around any more
    86 GT vert - Bright Red/Grey Black top
    89 GT hatch - Bright Regatta Blue/Grey
    90 5.0 vert - Light Titanium/Red No top
    90 GT vert - Light Titanium/Black Black top
    91 5.0 notch - Medium Titanium/Black (wife)
    91 5.0 notch - White/Red soon to be black int

FEP User

It has an EEC III system on it and the timing is NOT adjustable. Well, short of modifying the timing cover so you can move the crank sensor, that is. All timing is handled by the EEC.

If you'll look at the base of the distributor, you'll see that it has a tab that locates it in a particular position. It cannot be rotated like a conventional distributor and if you did all you'd be changing is the indexing of the rotor to the cap terminals. There is no wiring to the distributor other than the secondary ignition (plug) wires.

The ignition module is on the left inner fender and looks like the conventional Duraspark module. The wire strain-relief is Brown.

A few oddities with the EEC III. The reference voltage is 9vdc, as opposed to the later 5vdc. Sensors operate as usual with the exception of higher readings due to the higher reference voltage. The TPS, for instance, is about .9vdc on the later EECIV's, and IIRC about 2.2vdc on the EECIII.

MAP sensor and BARO sensors are in one unit on the RS inner fender. It looks like a grey pot-metal oval with a vacuum hose on one nipple and the other nipple is open to atmosphere. Signals back to the EEC are an analog voltage, unlike the later EECIV's frequency reading. These thing get out-of-range frequently and make the car run like crap. You'd need an EEC III guy to diagnose that though. Last I heard (>15yrs ago) these were very hard to get.

EGR valve get carbon chunks stuck in them all the time on these. If it starts stalling for no reason all of a sudden, this is your first suspect.

It does have a limited self-diagnostic ability and it's a PITA. Takes two test lights back-probing the TAB/TAD solenoid connectors on the wires that are not RED (Red is 12v power to the solenoids). Then with the engine running you use a vacuum pump on the BARO nipple and pull something over 21inHg for approx 30 seconds, or until the engine idles up. Then you release the vacuum. At that point it will run it's KOER self test and report the result by flashing the test lights. One light flashes for the tens, and the other for the ones. It has no stored memory so all you'll get is codes for what's wrong right then.

Wow! Thanks! That was some good reading. The car is just a lil bit sluglish, like the timming needs advanced. I did notice that the converters were plugged all the way. We let it run for a few minutes and and they were glowing red, and the carpet was smoking!!! But after we cut them off, it runs a lot better. I have yet to change the plugs and wires, will be doing that soon. But beside that, can you think of anything else that may cause it to do this.

Also as another note, the odometer shows like 90,000 some miles on it. Very cool!

I kinda like the Jalapeno red/ bright red have seen the color on some older lincolns lol
    83 Mustang GLX conv (in sonic blue)4.3/SC -coming soon! "Project Baby"
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Limousine, Crafted by American Custom Coach Works- "Project Bertha"

proud member:
    10 Hole Mafia
    Anti-cowl club
    Bent Six Bastards, lol

I think it is simply pimptastic. And I mean that in a good way.

FEP Member

I'm having visions of Kramer driving that thing while wearing the technicolored dreamcoat

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by Loco_Chick View Post
    Wow! Thanks! That was some good reading. The car is just a lil bit sluglish, like the timming needs advanced. I did notice that the converters were plugged all the way. We let it run for a few minutes and and they were glowing red, and the carpet was smoking!!! But after we cut them off, it runs a lot better. I have yet to change the plugs and wires, will be doing that soon. But beside that, can you think of anything else that may cause it to do this.

Also as another note, the odometer shows like 90,000 some miles on it. Very cool!

Uhh. Sounds like it's too rich, it shouldn't do that. Probably need to track down an EEC III guy around you somewhere. They will idle rich as the O2 cools off at idle and stops working until you get moving again, but still shouldn't make converters glow.

FWIW, I never drove one that felt anything but sluggish, even when they ran great. IIRC mileage was never all that good either, and in response to complaints Ford went to a dual exhaust setup which was supposed to improve matters by a mile per gallon or so.

If it were mine I'd probably hot rod it with at least a 351 (and more like a 460) and flush the EEC III system.

Ya, it sounds like that might be an idea. We just picked it up cause it was a really good price, and to have something else to drive in the winter. For the moment, we are just going to drive it, and make simple repairs. If anything major happens to it, then we'll probably swap another motor in it. But thanks for all the information! It cleared up a ton of questions!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 85vert View Post
    I think it is simply pimptastic. And I mean that in a good way.
    Thats what i thought too.

But you really need the wide brim hat when driving that car.
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"