Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

More pics!!! It's been awhile because I've been working on the engine bay... lot's of hard work. It's so time consuming getting into all the nooks and crannys... I've used paint stripper, wire wheels, sand paper, a grinder, a dremel, scrapers, picks and toothbrushes, 10 cans of degreaser and a ton of rags... you name it!! It turned out pretty good though, so all the work was worth it. I've seen too many engine bays just wiped down and painted over, yeah they look good for about a month, then the rust starts to come back. I got RID of all the rust and used "Chassis Saver" brand paint for the first coat, then primer and spray paint. Next on the list is the underside from the firewall on back... here comes more hard work! I can't wait till all this "crap" work is done and the assembly of all the new parts I have laying up in my spare bedroom begins.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

it'll be worth it when your done..
    looking good, keep up with the pics
    83 GT w/ T-Tops (JeffCleaned)
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua View Post
    Joshua is that you? are you ok? LMAO

Looking good man looking good

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua View Post
    Thanks! That engine bay was the most miserable thing I've done during this project so far. I haven't seen recent pics of your project lately. What are you in the middle of right now... last I know of you were getting some parts together... let me/us know how it's coming!!
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Quote Originally Posted by capri debris View Post
    Thanks! That engine bay was the most miserable thing I've done during this project so far. I haven't seen recent pics of your project lately. What are you in the middle of right now... last I know of you were getting some parts together... let me/us know how it's coming!!
    still taking my time with the solid brake lines, attachment points and stuff..
    planning out my purchases when my tax check arrives, etc.. i'll post pics again when there is something worth posting about
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

Since Mr. Joshua completed his Mustang... and it turned out great, BTW... I thought I'd resume posting updates on my build.

Here is the underside before I started stripping it down to bare metal.

And here it is being stripped down.

And here it is after paint.

Thumbs up

WOW!

Great looking work your doing to that little Merc. I am totally jealous!

Maybe I'll get one going in the next year or so. I am still looking for one that appeals to me enough to bite off a big project like yours!
    1984 Capri RS 5.0 (deceased)
    1994 F-150
    2001 Mustang Bullitt
    2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser (son's ride)
    2008 Mazda Tribute

good job on the underside. It was the part i hate the most on my 83 lol. Took me 2 soild days on my holiday to down to get it all to metal . Good job though its good to see others people doing this kinda thing by themselves in there garages lol , This winter my rs will start for its true number matching resto.
    83 capri , 9`S on 17" 2003 cobra and DOT m/t radials and 91octane 408w "Blacky "
    86 capri "Red" 13`s @ 108mph with street tires and 2.73 gears ...SOLD 2013... sad day
    93 mustang stretch wheel base 600cid with a lil juice. 7.48@190 mph
    61 ranchero ...SOON to be my mona lisa
    62 falcon rb20det swap
    88 merkur xr4ti 2.3T T-5
    86 merkur xr4ti 2.3t t-9

Quote Originally Posted by merk View Post
    good job on the underside. It was the part i hate the most on my 83 lol. Took me 2 soild days on my holiday to down to get it all to metal . Good job though its good to see others people doing this kinda thing by themselves in there garages lol , This winter my rs will start for its true number matching resto.
    How the hell did you do it in only TWO days! It took me EIGHT days with a power sander, grinder, wire wheels, small wire brushes, dremel, hand sanding and a small sand blaster (to reach the places none of my tools would get to)!!!!!!!!!!! There wasn't so much as a speck of undercoating, paint or rust left when I was done though. Then I put two coats of brush-on "Chassis Saver" paint, two coats of primer, and then a coat of gloss black paint. To do the engine compartment, wheel wells and the underside like that, it took a total of about 90 man hours. I'm very interested in the project you have planned. Mine is a "numbers matching" car also... I think it will raise the value of this restoration.

Rear wheel wells:

Before:

Stripped to bare metal:

Painted:

wow, totally different, how'd you strip it?
    2021 Turbo Blue Audi S5

I used a wire wheel on my drill, a demel, hand wire brushes and sand paper. Took a loooong time, but worth it.

I admire your ambition and work. The car looks killer!
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Super Member

Keep this going! I love threads like this.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

FEP Member

are you going to get front and rear taillight covers ?great job on this build

Quote Originally Posted by hsean View Post
    are you going to get front and rear taillight covers ?great job on this build
    I do like the look of the covers, but I'm trying for an "uncluttered" look on this car. Also, I think they are really hard to locate and if you can find a set they usually aren't in very good condition. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I bought a set of BBK subframe connectors, but they didn't come with seat supports. So I fabricated the seat supports and welded them on.

Here they are before paint.

After paint:

Here are a couple of pics after I welded them to the car and painted them.

Man the first time you take that for a spin it'll be like rinding in a brand new cat, oh wait it almost is!

keep em coming, winter is almost here and threads like this are going to become very popular and much needed.

Can you PM me a "how to" on how to clean up the engine bay? My motor is coming out soon and I would like to clean it up like you did...Nelson
    If you blink at the end of the straight away you'll miss the twisties and what fun would that be!
    1982 Capri RS 5.0L
    Suspension Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tion-and-Build
    1985 SVO 2A & leather. Stolen & Destroyed 2022
    Motor Build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=63505
    Dyno stats and exhaust install http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Dyno-d-finally
    My FMIC build http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-amp-D-project
    Electronic boost controller and bypass valve
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-Bypass-Valve
    Opperation SVO Tunes http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...51#post1148551

WOW, very nice car! I have big plans like that for my 82GT(might pick up another and switch everything.. or buy a notch and do the same, mine has serious frame problems) just as soon as i move out and have a big garage to work in without anybody bugging me, lol...I have done the exterior paint, built the 351, painted the engine bay, etc.. all in the garage but it's a PITA and i'm under a time restraint every time. I cant wait for more threads like this, now all i'd like to learn about is how to replace the whole front-left chassis from the subframe forward, haha keep up the good work i'll keep an eye on this thread, but for now i'm gonna scroll through the pics for the third time
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

also have you tried aircraft paint stripper? you brush it on heavy then watch the paint bubble up..scrape/wipe off and you're down to bare metal
    EDIT: did you weld the torque boxes? the uppers look done(cant see the lowers from the pics) but i dont know if that's factory welds or not
    86' Coupe Street/Strip Never Ending Project-351w, 4 Wheel Disk, WC T5, etc...

Link to my car Pics:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/hyper7pbs/

The tranny hump had a tear at one of the corners of the shifter opening and was generally thin, flimsy sheet metal that flexed alot. Since this car will have an AOD and I'm putting a B&M "Hammer" shifter in and plan on slamming the gears, I thought it would be a good idea to reinforce the opening a little.

So I made a template and then cut a thick gauge piece of sheet steel out and positioned it on top of the opening.

Then I just formed it to the hump and riveted it in place.

FEP Super Member

I'm really liking your progress....detailing as you go. I see you radius welded your front lower control arm brackets for more rigidity; nice! Subframes, wheelwells, enginebay, underbody...they all look awesome. I am trying to do the same thing to the 83 GLX I have going right now...makes a world of difference in the cars looks. Keep this up!
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

It always shows when someone enjoys what they are doing, your work is humbling. What I want to know is, why the paint before the mechanical work? I am "SchoolBoy's" dad, and he wants to do the same with his car, and mine is in the waiting room for a going over also...

Neil
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

Quote Originally Posted by WHTLTHR79RS View Post
    It always shows when someone enjoys what they are doing, your work is humbling. What I want to know is, why the paint before the mechanical work? I am "SchoolBoy's" dad, and he wants to do the same with his car, and mine is in the waiting room for a going over also...

Neil
    If you've ever seen the show Overhaulin' that is the preferred way to do it. If I were to do all the mechanicals and then try to paint it, it would be very difficult to keep overspray off the newly painted and installed parts on the underside. Later in the thread, it will become obvious when you see how I'm doing the underside parts. Here is a taste of what's to come.

Quote Originally Posted by capri debris View Post
    If you've ever seen the show Overhaulin' that is the preferred way to do it. If I were to do all the mechanicals and then try to paint it, it would be very difficult to keep overspray off the newly painted and installed parts on the underside. Later in the thread, it will become obvious when you see how I'm doing the underside parts. Here is a taste of what's to come.

Restoration guy working on mine painting the underside flat grey last. Doing the mechanicals in black. Think he will leave some things like the rear axle on and mask. Like your method albeit a bit more work. Not sure though I wasn't originally expecting the interior and engine removed
    85 Capri 5.0L Sport Package (purchased new)
    03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo 4x4

-- The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast