Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FEP Senior Member loutheplumber's Avatar

you can buy new plastic lines from napa thats what i did
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo
    1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe now lives as power plant in 1990 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    1959 Ford 871 Select-o-Speed
    "You Can Tell The Men From The Boys By The Price of Their Toys"

I just don't want to deal with pressing the fittings into the line, or routing the lines, or dealing with potential durability issues.

Does anyone know the difference between 5.0 and 2.3 EFI fuel lines? Might help to know what I should be looking for.
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

Big difference. Lines route totally different, and where they connect is VERY different. Although that may depend on the year, I know the connectors are totally different on the engine bay side, but from looking at your pics it may route along the frame the same...but that still may pose a problem. The later 2.3 EFI lines run along the driver's side of the car.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Yesterday I got a set of 2.3 EFI fuel lines. Today I put them in and fabbed up some lines from the hardlines to the fuel rail. That part seems to be fine.

Now I've got it all together and I've got a no-start problem. It cranks, but it doesn't fire. I had some issues with the fuel pump not running, so I jumpered the relay harness. That got the fuel pump running, but still no spark. I've got power at the coil, but no spark at the plugs.

I'm not stumped by any means, but at that point I was getting cold and hungry. I suppose tomorrow (weather permitting) I'll start troubleshooting.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 08:40 PM.

is the rotor intact? coil wire good?
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Just retrace those two important wires. Coil Power and Tach Signal.

And Grounds...Grounds...Grounds.

For some reason I assumed the power relay for the carbed harness would work with the EFI harness. Probably because they both plug in and look identical. However, after swapping the relay with the TC relay, I'm getting somewhere. Now I've just got a couple flooded cylinders and fouled plugs to deal with.

Pedal to the floor and crank it over. I think I remember it being said that shuts off the injectors.

Or just bump the relay and pull all the plugs.

I left the cylinders open while I wire brushed the plugs clean. Also swapped the TC plug wires with the El Cheapo's from the carbed engine.

It runs. It drives. It's hard to say exactly how well it accellerates since there's about an inch or two of snow on the ground, but it's a dramatic improvement over the carbed NA engine.

I've got some issues that I need to work on. The transmission is nearly impossible to get into any gear. The clutch cable was pretty rough when I put it in, so that may be the problem. Or it could just be that the syncros in the transmission are shot. Also I've got some oil leaks... The fill cap was leaking but it was also loose. Then there was some oil around the line to the turbo.

Another issue was all the noises... All kinds of rattles, clanks, clunks, etc.. Combined with turbo whine, etc. Most will probably go away when the clutch/transmission issue is resolved.

Then the starter doesn't always engage the flywheel... If it were a Chevy I'd shim it, no clue what to do on a Ford.

Finally it blew the vacuum line for the fuel pressure regulator off the nipple.

I'm just glad the wiring seems to work perfectly, the engine runs, the fuel system doesn't leak, and the turbo builds boost. When the boost starts to kick in, and the car starts going sideways, and I realize I can't see anything cause of the blizzard conditions... PRICELESS!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

You have to look closely, and I apologize for the snow falling through the frame, but notice it's RUNNING!!!

Yeah...you're gonna get the rattles now because for some reason...the engine just makes the rest of the car rattle!

I saw a handful of people get the vacuum line being blown off deal I found that odd since I never experienced it.

I think the hose just needs to be replaced... It's not a tight fit around either nipple.

The majority of the noise seemed to be coming from the transmission, occasionally the turbo makes some unfriendly noises, and also I think the water pump might be taking a dump. All that is fairly minor though... it runs!
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Define unfriendly

My first full ride I couldn't get the smile off my face cause it sounded like the diesel dump trucks and school busses that drive by my house everday.

At idle, once in a while there's a noise, sounds like metal briefly contacting more metal. Almost a jingling wind-chime type noise. I'm guessing there's some excessive play in the turbo and the compressor wheel is hitting the housing. That's just a guess though and it does seem to boost, so who knows.
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 08:41 PM.

FEP Senior Member loutheplumber's Avatar

i put zip ties on all the vac/boost lines to keep them from blowing off
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo
    1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe now lives as power plant in 1990 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    1959 Ford 871 Select-o-Speed
    "You Can Tell The Men From The Boys By The Price of Their Toys"

Quote Originally Posted by loutheplumber View Post
    i put zip ties on all the vac/boost lines to keep them from blowing off
    same thing i do on mine and all turbo cars ive worked on, pay close attention to the fuel pressure regulator, if that blows off uder boost, bye bye pistons
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123