Close

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
    You are welcome. I'm just trying to help because I have been there and done that....

--Vince
    much appreciated it vince

FEP Member

Thanks for the compliment.

I do not know any reason why they would not work.

I am assuming that you have them on the car right now with the stock '86 spindles/brakes. Is that correct?

The stock '86 spindles are 1/4" wider than the '87+ V8 spindles and the SN95 spindles so you will need two 1/8" shims per side. In the '80's and '90's most aftermarket struts came with these shims so that they would fit all of the '79-'93 Mustangs with one mounting ear design. I cannot think of any other reason why somebody would tell you that your current struts wont work with the SN95 spindles/brakes.

--Vince
    Actually i have everything stock right now,but i have been gathering everything to do at once. The coilovers,95GT spindles and brakes,Camber caster plates and MM conversion braided lines.Just doing fronts for now ,and i have read where the 86 k-member and arms cause problems?Thanks
    86 GT,ALL STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Fast86GT View Post
    ...and i have read where the 86 k-member and arms cause problems?
    The '86 K-member is 1/2" narrower per side than the '87-'93 V8 K-member. The narrower K-member does make it hard to get an acceptable amount of negative camber on the front suspension using the Fox A-arms.

Since you are using QA1 struts you are obviously NOT building a road race handling machine. With that usage in mind the C-C plates should allow you to get an acceptable camber setting. If you need a little more negative camber than what the C-C plates allow you can slightly open up the upper strut to spindle mounting hole.

The other way to fix the camber issue is to use SN95 A-arms or swap to an '87-'93 V8 K-member.

--Vince
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
    + EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com

FEP Member

The '86 K-member is 1/2" narrower per side than the '87-'93 V8 K-member. The narrower K-member does make it hard to get an acceptable amount of negative camber on the front suspension using the Fox A-arms.

Since you are using QA1 struts you are obviously NOT building a road race handling machine. With that usage in mind the C-C plates should allow you to get an acceptable camber setting. If you need a little more negative camber than what the C-C plates allow you can slightly open up the upper strut to spindle mounting hole.

The other way to fix the camber issue is to use SN95 A-arms or swap to an '87-'93 V8 K-member.

--Vince
    Well the QA1 s are offered for free but,i am not dead set on using them.Do they suck for handling?Its more street car than anything else.I just hope that if i use them with the cc plates i will be okay,i dont want to do the k member or arms right now only because of cost especially when i am fixing up the house and cost are already going over budget with that.lolThanks again Vince.
    86 GT,ALL STOCK

IMO from what i have seen and heard QA1 Is not a high quality part (s) and not made to take the abuse of racing or hard street driving. (nor are the granatelli's i bought) but at the cost of FREE, they are worth atleast getting your feet wet with coilovers.
    You may not like the handling or stance they give which makes it a cheap investment to figure out if that is what u want for your car or not.
    Upgrading to a griggs or MM coilover setup can always be purchased in the future as an upgrade.

I dont plan to keep the Granatelli setup on my car for ever but for what i paid and my budget at the time they are perect till i can upgrade to a better more punishable setup LOL
    No Longer a 4I Owner
    But Have way too much 4I stuff Collecting Dust.

the mustangman said it well. For the price, use the QA1's. You can always upgrade (spend money) later.

You are welcome for any help that I can give.

--Vince
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com

FEP Member

I will give them a try,i am glad people like you Vince and themustangman and alot of others are here to help dummies like me.lol.
    86 GT,ALL STOCK

Today, I just read in my copy of the Mustang Performance Handbook 2 by William R. Mathis the '87-'88 V8 Thunderbirds have A-rms which are 3/4" longer from control arm bushing center line to ball joint than the '79-'93 Fox control arms.

This may be the ticket for those with the narrower crossmembers.

Another interesting tidbit in the book is the police/taxi Fairmont front and rear control arms have stiffer bushing and thicker metal than the regular Fox offering. Of course those cars are rarer than hen's teeth but I wonder if the police/taxi '84/'85 LTDs use the same parts as the police/taxi Fairmonts...

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Today, I just read in my copy of the Mustang Performance Handbook 2 by William R. Mathis the '87-'88 V8 Thunderbirds have A-rms which are 3/4" longer from control arm bushing center line to ball joint than the '79-'93 Fox control arms.

This may be the ticket for those with the narrower crossmembers.

Dean,

That is incorrect information! It has been confirmed many times. The T-Bird A-arms are NOT 3/4" longer than the Fox A-arms. They are 1.25" longer than the Fox A-arms which is the same as the SN95 A-arms.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Dean,

That is incorrect information! It has been confirmed many times. The T-Bird A-arms are NOT 3/4" longer than the Fox A-arms. They are 1.25" longer than the Fox A-arms which is the same as the SN95 A-arms.

--Vince
    I remembered that too but thought it was interesting Mathis only noted the '87/'88 V8 T-bird A-arms.

I probably should have measured a set first before posting.

Next stop: The Wrecking Yard!

Dean T
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    I remembered that too but thought it was interesting Mathis only noted the '87/'88 V8 T-bird A-arms.

I probably should have measured a set first before posting.

Next stop: The Wrecking Yard!

Dean T
    He probably only mentioned those A-arms because the earlier ones were the same as the rest of the Foxes.

It is too bad that the publisher hacked up his manuscript. There is a lot of good info in the book and it is a shame that we can't see it as he intended.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

I remember reading the series of articles done on Mathis' "Slot Car." He wanted to change the geometery of the k-member and add some much need front track width for better front grip. But he wanted his mods to be pretty much undetectible from a visual tech inspection perspective. Hence the effort he put into making the k-member pick-up point and rear lower control arm relocation mods appear unmodded factory original. The use of the t-bird a-arms was for the same reason - appeared to be fox with the correct ball-joints and all. I don't recall why he went public with the article and eventually the Performance Hand Books, but probably someone protested and the inspectors measured the critical dimensions - jig was up.

The '00 GT/V6 brakes require a 1" MC. I would use the '99 V6 MC or a '93 Cobra MC. The '96 V6 MC is 1-1/16" which will give you a very firm pedal. The '83 or '88 MC's will not be large enough to work properly.

--Vince
    Just curious but why would the '99 GT/V6 brakes use a 1" MC and the '94-V6/GT use a larger 1-1/16" bore MC? The '94-'98 V6/GT use the single piston calipers up front and the '99-'04 GT/V6 have the dual piston PBR calipers.

Im curious because I also am considering swapping to the 99-04 PBR GT/V6 calipers but want to have a nice pedal feel. I have a complete '94 V6 parts car and it has a MC/Booster/PV on it, as well as all the needed brake parts, but planned to upgrade the stock single piston calipers to the newer dual piston PBRs.

Is the single piston 94-98 caliper larger than the dual-piston 99-04 caliper, thus requiring the 1 1/16" MC versus the 1" MC?

Thanks

Clint
    '85 Mustang GT with 4.6 conversion and complete drivetrain/brakes/suspension/wiring from a '98 GT

'86 LX Coupe..maybe a 4.6 swap....

The '94-'98 V6/GT cars have 66mm single piston front calipers. The area of these calipers is 3419.46 mm^2 each.

The '99-'04 V6/GT cars have twin 44.5mm piston front calipers. The area of these carlipers is 3108.99 mm^2 each.

The rear calipers were the same from '94-'04 (single piston 38mm).

As you can see, the twin piston calipers actually have less area. That is why they require a smaller MC.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Default Question about 5-lug swap using 94/95 spindles/brakes and drum rear

I've read through the posts and have a question I couldn't find the answer for... My son (he's 13) and I are building his car, an '84 GT Turbo. We're going to swap it to 5-lug and since he's paying for it all (well, as much as he can any way, dad is picking up the rest of the tab, but I want him to understand the value of a dollar and building something himself with his own money) we're doing it on a budget, trying to spend the money in right places a little at a time.

Any way my question is this about the 5-lug conversion. I've got 94-95 spindles and front brakes (non-Cobra) and for now we plan on just swapping in ranger 5-lug rear drums. What master cylinder/brake booster have any of you used if doing the same swap. Most of the thread, as far as I can tell, has to deal with a conversion to disks all the way around or using the MKVII/SVO front rotors/brakes. I also have a set of 96-up front spindles/brakes/calipers. I know the spindles won't work but what about the calipers? Any help would be great, thanks.
    Last edited by Silver83; 07-20-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Left out the title

I went with drums on the rear and licoln rotors in the front. I am using the stock 83 5.0 booster and master cyl and it works perfectly. You only have to change it if you go with discs in the back or get a better proportioning valve.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by Silver83 View Post
    ...I also have a set of 96-up front spindles/brakes/calipers. I know the spindles won't work but what about the calipers?...
    The '94-'98 GT/V6 front brakes are all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver83 View Post
    ...What master cylinder/brake booster have any of you used if doing the same swap...
    It depends on which front brakes you end up going with. I would recommend at the very least switching to the '99-'04 V6/GT front brakes.

The Fox brakes have 60mm single piston front calipers; the '94-'98 V6/GT brakes have 66mm single piston front calipers; and the '99-'04 V6/GT brakes have twin 44mm caliper pistons. The 44mm twin piston calipers actually have a closer area to the Fox brakes than the large 66mm single piston calipers.

If you go with the '99-'04 V6/GT front brakes then I would try the stock Fox MC and booster first. If the pedal is too soft for your liking at that point then you should switch to a 1" MC. With the '96 brakes I can almost guarantee that the pedal will be too soft so I would recommend starting with the 1" MC.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTVince
    The Fox brakes have 60mm single piston front calipers; the '94-'98 V6/GT brakes have 66mm single piston front calipers; and the '99-'04 V6/GT brakes have twin 44mm caliper pistons. The 44mm twin piston calipers actually have a closer area to the Fox brakes than the large 66mm single piston calipers.
    --Vince
    Vince, I'm fairly sure that the '94-'98 V6/GT cars use a 60mm piston, same as the '78-'93 cars. 2.359" is a little under 60mm.
    If anything the twin 44mm pistons will tally a slightly higher area than the single 60mm. But not much different.*just doing the math off the top of my head*
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MIKE View Post
    Vince, I'm fairly sure that the '94-'98 V6/GT cars use a 60mm piston, same as the '78-'93 cars. 2.359" is a little under 60mm.
    If anything the twin 44mm pistons will tally a slightly higher area than the single 60mm. But not much different.*just doing the math off the top of my head*
    I am 100% sure that the '94-'98 V6/GT cars used single 66mm pistons in the front calipers. Check it out on RockAuto.com or Autozone.com if you want a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

Just to clarify, the '99-'04 twin 44mm piston calipers have less area than the single 66mm piston calipers. That is why I said that hey would be a better match to the stock MC.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

I am just itching to go to 5 bolt on my old 85 but can't decide on the correct version
    -
    FOX ON FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/CAPRI.RS.5.0 (FACEBOOK for ALL FOX cars)
    -
    My "15 minute" 85 Capri RS restoration thread >>>> http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=98062
    -

Quote Originally Posted by TWiCS View Post
    I am just itching to go to 5 bolt on my old 85 but can't decide on the correct version
    i would have a hard time doing anything to that beautiful survivor you have!

cale

I am 100% sure that the '94-'98 V6/GT cars used single 66mm pistons in the front calipers. Check it out on RockAuto.com or Autozone.com if you want a 2nd and 3rd opinion.--Vince
    '79 V8
    Quote Originally Posted by RA

RAYBESTOS Part # FRC4136 Professional Grade; Friction Ready - Pads Not Included, Remanufactured; Bore Size=2.36" Inlet Thread=M12X1 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24
    Front; Left

RAYBESTOS Part # WK893 Professional Grade
    Front

RAYBESTOS Part # DPS85035 Professional Grade; 1.79" Overall Length / 2.359" Piston Diameter / Steel
    Front
    '87-'93 5.0 LX/GT
    RAYBESTOS Part # FRC4266 Professional Grade; Friction Ready - Pads Not Included, Remanufactured; Bore Size=2.362" Inlet Thread=M10X1.5 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24
    Front; Left

RAYBESTOS Part # WK893 Professional Grade
    Front

RAYBESTOS Part # DPS85035 Professional Grade; 1.79" Overall Length / 2.359" Piston Diameter / Steel
    Front
    '94-'98 V6/GT

RAYBESTOS Part # FRC10409 Professional Grade; Friction Ready - Pads Not Included, Remanufactured; Bore Size=2.6" Inlet Thread=M10X1.5 Bleeder Thread=3/8X24
    Front; Right; GT

RAYBESTOS Part # WK1837 Professional Grade
    Front; GT

Front; GT
    The bores are different but they use the same size 60mm piston. Raybestos PN DPS85035. That is what moves anyway, the piston, not the bore. I have '79 V8 and '95 GT calipers kicking around here somewhere, just have to locate them. My crap shot theory with why Ford did this was probably the larger bore allowed for better service life out of the calipers. It simply could be that the smaller bore would seize easier than the larger bore. And with better brake pad materials coming onto the market, albeit pistons were seizing in their tight bores from heat.
    It was probably cheaper for Ford to maintain the same steel piston but just up the bore. The caliper was going to be a different design anyway.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MIKE View Post
    ....The bores are different but they use the same size 60mm piston.....
    That does not make any sense! The bore size and the piston size must be matched. My guess is that you are getting some bad part number info on the pistons. The brake parts catalogs have often had bad information when it comes to Mustang brakes.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Quote Originally Posted by TWiCS View Post
    99-04 PBR setup
    No matter where you go, there you are

Thanks.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast