Close

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thank you for clearing that up, I assume it is something that I would have to call to special order?

How would one tell if the axles are hybrid axles if someone is selling used?
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up, I assume it is something that I would have to call to special order?

How would one tell if the axles are hybrid axles if someone is selling used?
    The easiest thing is to call and order them. You can call Moser direct or just call the place that you are ordering them through and explain exactly what you want.

To check on a used pair you would just need the key information:

Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4-1/2" (Fox is 4 x 4-1/4")
    Length: 29-3/16"
    Spline: 28
    Hub Diameter: 2-3/4" (Fox is 2-1/2")

Just remember the two key parts: 1) Fox length and 2) '94-'98 hub.

--Vince
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
    + EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Got it! You've helped a WHOLE lot so far, thanks man!
    MY GARAGE | SUPPORT THE 2.3
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top
    1993 Reef Blue LX 2.3 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by 1982 niGhTmare View Post
    Got it! You've helped a WHOLE lot so far, thanks man!
    No problem. You are welcome. I'm glad that I could help you.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

--Vince
    + Jalapeņo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-5/8" LT's
    + '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Ok It's time for me to dive in. I just ordered a new set of 17x8 Mach 1 wheels and now I have to do the good ol' 5 lug conversion. I just want drums in the back and discs up front. Do I need to get a different booster,master cyl, and prop valve? My engine bay is all painted and I would hate to "message" my strut tower. I am getting the 87+ spindles for the front and I'm changing all my suspension at the same time.
    -Currently Searching for "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    Ok It's time for me to dive in. I just ordered a new set of 17x8 Mach 1 wheels and now I have to do the good ol' 5 lug conversion. I just want drums in the back and discs up front. Do I need to get a different booster,master cyl, and prop valve? My engine bay is all painted and I would hate to "message" my strut tower. I am getting the 87+ spindles for the front and I'm changing all my suspension at the same time.
    Will Mach 1s fit with the 87-93 spindles?
    No matter where you go, there you are

I don't see why not. They fit my Mazda/Ranger pickup discs.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    Where are you ordering them from?
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by banzaibullitt View Post
    I don't see why not. They fit my Mazda/Ranger pickup discs.
    Certain wheels don't fit that particular spindle setup without modification to the dust cap or running without a center cap.

Where are you ordering them from?
    Tirerack is the place I am ordering them from.

79-86 5 lug conversion should be easy I think. I have searched a little and it should be as easy as changing front calipers/brakes/spindles from a 87-93(including brake lines) them get ford racing part No. M-1102-C for the front (mk6 with mustang bearings/50resto 5 lug conversion kit will work too) As for the rear make sure you have a 8.8 with 9 inch brakes and use Ford Racing kit M-1126-A (or axles from a ranger/mazda/areostar or axles from the 50 resto kit). The facory brake booster should work fine for the car show runner or daily driver. I am open to opinions because I am going to be doing this coversion come springtime.
    Last edited by Blainer; 02-19-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax View Post
    Certain wheels don't fit that particular spindle setup without modification to the dust cap or running without a center cap.
    I had no problems with my dust caps. NAPA didn't carry the stock ones, so they got me a couple of generic square "marshmallow" looking caps. It's a close fit, but it will work with the Machs.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

I had no problems with my dust caps. NAPA didn't carry the stock ones, so they got me a couple of generic square "marshmallow" looking caps. It's a close fit, but it will work with the Machs.
    Definitely something you have to look out for with the SVO/Lincoln/87-93 spindle route.

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax View Post
    Definitely something you have to look out for with the SVO/Lincoln/87-93 spindle route.
    With the kit from LMR, they say stock 17x8 wheels will work with the 87-93 spindles with no problems. I hope I wont have problems with dust caps because this is the way I am going.

Its true to a point. Unless they modify them themselves, the earlier 17 inch Mustang wheels, the center cap won't fit. The dust cap is too tall and ends up requiring "flattening", and i've seen pictures where the metal area of the spindle head doesn't fit and people have ground them down as well. That's half the reason I went SN95 spindles...cause if I wanted to be cheap or ran across a cheap set of the wheels that don't fit good...i'd have that problem to deal with...the other reason...13 inches of stopping terror!!!

With SN95 spindles, don't the wheels stick out further than the rear then? I guess if you go SN95 in the front you will have to do it in the rear so the tires stick out the same. Or is this a false assumption?

96-04 spindles increase track width by 8mm, not the 94-95 spindles.

But someone has proven it won't be a problem with Mach 1 wheels.

Default Here's my conversion process with questions.

The victum...
    • 83 5.0, 5-speed Mustang coupe

The disc brake/5-lug parts that I have so far...
    • 2004 GT 17x8 Bullits
    • Ranger 5 lug axles
    • 90 front control arms
    • tubular K-member
    • 94/95 front spindles/hubs/rotors/dust shields
    • 2000 GT front calipers/hoses
    • 83 5.0 OR 88 5.0 front brake lines
    • 88 5.0 OR 96 V6 vac. booster/master cyl/prop valve combo
    • Wilwood adjustable prop valve
    • 96 V6 rear caliper/rotors/brackets/anti-moans/dust shields
    • 83 5.0 OR 88 5.0 OR 94/95 rear axle hard line (Can't remember if 94/95 was a V8 or V6 car)
    • 83 5.0 OR 88 5.0 rear main hard line
    • 94/95 rear soft lines (Can't remember if it was a V8 or V6 car)
    • 96 V6 parking brake lines/tunnel bracket/hardware

Parts left to acquire...
    • Ford Racing stock prop. valve plug kit
    • Fox axle to disc rotor spacers from discbrakesrus.com
    • Fittings, adapters and possibly hoses (YIKES!!!)
    • SN95 ball joints
    • New pads and brake fluid

My questions are as follows...
    1) Which front brake hard lines should I use? 83 or 88?
    2) Should I use the 83, 88 or 96 stock prop. valve? Which one would be easier to hook lines to?
    3) Which rear axle line should I use? 88 or 94/95? Knowing that I have no clue if it's V6 or V8.
    4) All of the fittings/adapters has my mind boggled. (My ADD doesn't help me either) Looking at my parts list, which ones do I need for my application?
    5) Can I use my stock 83 struts with this setup? Considering I'm converting over to 90 arms and SN95 ball joints.

I'm open to other parts suggestions. This car will be used for street/strip duty, not really considering any road course action. Thanks in advance for the assistance, hopefully this will help others on down the line.
    Last edited by mustangpro; 03-22-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5

Quote Originally Posted by mustangpro View Post
    My questions are as follows...
    1) Which front brake hard lines should I use? 83 or 88?
    2) Should I use the 83, 88 or 96 stock prop. valve? Which one would be easier to hook lines to?
    3) Which rear axle line should I use? 88 or 94/95? Knowing that I have no clue if it's V6 or V8.
    4) All of the fittings/adapters has my mind boggled. (My ADD doesn't help me either) Looking at my parts list, which ones do I need for my application?
    5) Can I use my stock 83 struts with this setup? Considering I'm converting over to 90 arms and SN95 ball joints.
    My answers....

1. The hard lines should be the same on the brake ends so I don't see any reason to change them. You will need SN95 hoses or some of the Fox SS braided hoses will work on the SN95 calipers, but it depends on which brand you have.

2. I would use the '83 PV and gut it.

2A. The '00 GT/V6 brakes require a 1" MC. I would use the '99 V6 MC or a '93 Cobra MC. The '96 V6 MC is 1-1/16" which will give you a very firm pedal. The '83 or '88 MC's will not be large enough to work properly.

2B. I would use the Fox booster.

3. I would use the '96 rear axle hard line. That way the caliper hoses will fit without any additional adapters.

4. The adapters that you need will depend on which lines you use. Generally, you will need an adapter for one of the front lines (I forget which side). You may need one for the rear center hose. You may also need adapters for the MC to PV lines depending on which combination you end up going with. It is not hard, you just have to plan out your connections.

5. The '83 struts should work, but you will need two 1/8" shims per side. The '83 struts are 1/4" wider than the '94 spindles.

Additional notes:

6. Do you have the '96 lines that go from the MC to the PV? If so, I would probably use those lines. I THINK that they will fit from a '99 MC to the '83 PV.

7. You do not need to change the balljoints unless they are worn out. You can use 3 grade 8 washers (per side) and the Fox BJ's will work fine.

8. With Ranger axles and 17"x8" wheels the rear will tuck in too far (in my opinion). With that size wheel and 245/45R17 tires I would use the '94-'98 axles.

Good luck!

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

FEP Member

Hey Vince,love the site for your car.Anyway do you know if QA1s with coilovers and sn95 spindles will work?i have been told they wont.thanks
    86 GT,ALL STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by Fast86GT View Post
    Hey Vince, love the site for your car. Anyway do you know if QA1s with coilovers and sn95 spindles will work?i have been told they wont.thanks
    Thanks for the compliment.

I do not know any reason why they would not work.

I am assuming that you have them on the car right now with the stock '86 spindles/brakes. Is that correct?

The stock '86 spindles are 1/4" wider than the '87+ V8 spindles and the SN95 spindles so you will need two 1/8" shims per side. In the '80's and '90's most aftermarket struts came with these shims so that they would fit all of the '79-'93 Mustangs with one mounting ear design. I cannot think of any other reason why somebody would tell you that your current struts wont work with the SN95 spindles/brakes.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
    2A. The '00 GT/V6 brakes require a 1" MC. I would use the '99 V6 MC or a '93 Cobra MC. The '96 V6 MC is 1-1/16" which will give you a very firm pedal. The '83 or '88 MC's will not be large enough to work properly.
    Now this I did not know. I'll pick up a 99+ V6 MC. Wonder if I can sneak my 96 MC in as a core..

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
    2B. I would use the Fox booster.
    I'm curious as to why you're suggesting the Fox booster? Help me out here. I trust you, just like to know why this route. Since I'm an old man I'd probably like a light feel to the pedal.
    79 Capri RS 5.0/AOD | 82 CHP SSP #0513 5.0/SROD | 82 Capri Tu-Tone 4.2/C5 | 83 NCSHP SSP 5.0/SROD
    84 FHP SSP 5.0/T5 | 84 LTD Wagon 3.8/AOD | 85 LTD LX 5.0/AOD | 88 GT 5.0 Turbo/T5

Now this I did not know. I'll pick up a 99+ V6 MC. Wonder if I can sneak my 96 MC in as a core..
    I do not think they will give you a hard time over that swap. You could probably use the '88 MC as a core and not have any problems...

I'm curious as to why you're suggesting the Fox booster? Help me out here. I trust you, just like to know why this route. Since I'm an old man I'd probably like a light feel to the pedal.
    I suggested the Fox booster for two main reasons.

1. It is free because you already have it on the car.
    2. Ease of installation. The SN95 booster will require "adjusting" the shock tower and in general it is a huge PITA to install.

I have run many different brake combinations on my '85 GT and in my experience there is no need to swap the boosters for most brake combinations. In fact, my personal opinion is that the '93 Cobra which had the 1" MC and the larger SN95 sized booster is over boosted.

If it were my car, I would do the conversion using the Fox booster and if when I was done I wanted a softer pedal then I would swap to the larger booster. It is a bit of work for something that you may not even want or need.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Also, the '99 V6 MC comes in two versions -- with and without ABS.

The without ABS has 10mm threads for both ports. The with ABS has 10mm threads for the front brakes and 12mm threads for the rear brakes. Depending on which lines and fittings you already have you may be able to use that to your advantage.

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Sounds good Vince. Many thanks for the advice, and great work on this thread.

Sounds good Vince. Many thanks for the advice, and great work on this thread.
    You are welcome. I'm just trying to help because I have been there and done that....

--Vince
    www.1985mustanggt.com

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast