Close

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

I've been struggling to get the rear Fox axle lines to connect with the 94 GT hoses I bought for the rear calipers. The original threaded male connectors on the Fox hard lines seem just smaller diameter than the 94 GT female threaded connection. The original post doesn't mention needing adaptors, but I see that LMR offers conversion steel lines for $70 (drum to disc conversion on an 8.. Is there an adaptor needed to make them work together, or should I just order up some new lines and move on?
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    I've been struggling to get the rear Fox axle lines to connect with the 94 GT hoses I bought for the rear calipers. The original threaded male connectors on the Fox hard lines seem just smaller diameter than the 94 GT female threaded connection. The original post doesn't mention needing adaptors, but I see that LMR offers conversion steel lines for $70 (drum to disc conversion on an 8.. Is there an adaptor needed to make them work together, or should I just order up some new lines and move on?
    When I did mine, I cut the stock hairline connectors off, and took them along with a small section of the hairline and the new hose down to the parts store. The correct fittings only cost a few bucks and you can rent the flair tool for free. Easy, cheap, and no adaptors to mess with.
    If I were to degrease my car, i'd have nothing....

Default What I did

Double post
    If I were to degrease my car, i'd have nothing....

Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

I just bought this kit: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...ear-P1438.aspx

No headaches.
    Last edited by banzaibullitt; 06-08-2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by banzaibullitt View Post
    I just bought this kit: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM...ear-P1438.aspx

No headaches.
    +1 on this kit, it was easy day with it! Although, the center hose on top of the bracket that mounts to the rear axle was kinda a PITA to get the old one off the top of the bracket and install the new one from the MM kit.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)

I used a Dremel tool to remove mine from the center axle bracket.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

I bought an entire 95GT 8.8 for my car. The flex hose bolts right up to the 86 lines on the body.

I will eventually redo this 8.8 to fox width with Northern Racing brackets and Mosier axles with SN95 flanges. I have most of it bought but you know how that goes!

So from reading this article...

https://www.americanmuscle.com/fox-b...ech-guide.html

Says 1985-1991 Lincoln Mark VII are candidates for front rotors...found a 1992 Mark VII donor car. What would be the risk in taking the front rotors off of that? Maybe the spindles/bearings changed in 1992? I'm hoping to swap to my 1978 Fairmont. Anyone know what might have changed about a 91 vs 92 Mark VII?
    Last edited by Str8sixfan; 08-27-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    For the front, the cheap way that retains the fox spindle and brakes is to run a 2wd 84-90 ranger front rotor (for all 2.3 cars and v8 cars >1986) or 85-86 SVO/Mark VII front rotors (1987+ V8 cars)

A word of caution, if you swap rotors to get 5-lug, your wheel choices will be limited as after 1998 Ford phased out greasable hubs and went to the sealed hub design with no spindle cap, thus making their wheel designs shallower (your flashy cobra R's won't fit over the ranger or SVO hubs) I know the 97-98 cobra wheel, 16" pony, 17" tri-bar and the v6 wheels will fit, others its hit and miss.
    So...two questions on ranger rotors...

1) they're the same diameter as stock fox (for reference I have 1978 Fairmont Futura)?
    2) So 07+ Crown Vic P71 17" steelies won't leave enough room for for the spindle cap?

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    ... I have most of it bought but you know how that goes!
    Yeah, I've been collecting parts for ten years and I finally have a sn-95 brake system installed.
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed

OK Guys, have been reading this 5 lug swap section for weeks. I am wanting to do a 5 lug swap on my 79 Pace Car. All I wanted to do on the stock 7.5 is swap it to 5 lug, I am going to leave the drum brakes on it. Is all I need to get is 2 driver side axles off of a 94-95 Ranger ? I looked on LMR and they had 2 different 28 spline axle kits available. Can someone steer me in the right direction. I just want to get 2 axles to put in my stock 7.5 and 2 5 lug drum covers.
    Thanks

If you posted links to the two different 28 spline axles on the LMR website, then people here could tell you which one will work for your car.
    Jack Hidley

I called and got the info i needed and there ordered. Thanks, now I am going to start looking for 94-95 front spindles to do the front. I was going to leave this 45K mile Pace Car all stock but I cant, just going to do some simple mods and drive it some.

FEP Super Member

In regards to using 1994-95 front spindles versus 1996+ spindles;
    I have seen two 1995 Mustangs now (one a V6, the other a GT) with 96+ spindles (as well as the 1996+ tail lights). At first, I was thinking it had been a swapped car (as I had run into the V6 car first). Seeing a S.U.N of 21xxxx said it was a late-production '95. I can see that. however, on the GT (we purchased the car before realizing this) it too had '96+ spindles and tail lights, but was NOT a late-production '95 (S.U.N of 11xxxx and production date of 9/94).

The reason I am adding this is that just because the title and build say it is a 1995, be 100% SURE the spindles are the correct 1994-95 type (the bent-up steering arm versus flat steering arm). I am now stuck using 1996-98 spindles and will play all heck dialing out bump-steer.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."
    1979 Mustang Indy Pace 2.3T/4spd (sold on 1/10/16)
    1983 GLX vert 3.8/auto (triple black, sold on 10/8/13)
    1984 (early) Turbo GT (parts SLOWLY coming together)
    1985 Coupe 4.6L DOHC/IRS swapped (sold 9/10/17)
    1986 GT TTop 5spd (sold as of 10/8/13)
    1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe (Cobra IRS/Brakes/big turbo project)

Good time to put them on the shelf for the time when a K menber swap is in the cards.

A buddy of mine always uses the later style 96+ spindles. I've been meaning to pick his brain and see what his setup is. He swears he has no alignment or bump steer issues at all.

On the subject of using 1996+ spindles on a car with a stock Fox k-member.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/8565296-post36.html

Pay special attention to the 3rd to the last paragraph in this case.
    Jack Hidley

FEP Super Member

Along with your tech FAQ section on the MM site, Jack, that illustrates exactly WHY I am pissed that these two 1995 Mustangs are actually wearing the straight-leg '96+ spindles right from the factory. I am having a very hard time wrapping my head around an early-mid production '95 having the '96+ tail lights and spindles installed.
    So now, we will be using the rest of the suspension/driveline to swap her Fairmont Futura and will be looking for 1994/early95 spindles.
    " If you're not living life on the edge, that means you're taking up too much room."

86GT2,

I do not believe that Ford could have built any 1995 Mustangs with 1996 spindles on them. The spindles have different widths. They have different amounts of camber. I do not think that the equipment to align the suspension on the production line would even work properly. The wrong year spindles will physically bolt on, so technically it is possible, but I really, really doubt it.

Over the years, I have seen people claim kinds of stuff like this. Factory cars with 4.10:1 gears, 9" axle housings, rear disc brakes on Fox cars that weren't SVO or 1993 Cobra models. In every case that I've looked into, it has never been true.
    Jack Hidley

All it takes is an accident and used parts getting put in during the repair.

I agree - all of the oddball stuff I’ve seen ends up not checking out.

FEP Super Member

I would normally agree 100% with you guys, and am skeptical of BOTH cars.
    However, a friend has a late-production '82 Mustang GT built on the '83 floor pans (car has never been wrecked or rebuilt). The first time I looked under his car led to confusion. But I digress; I have been in PM with Jack and once the stars align I will be sending him pictures of the GT sitting in the driveway before we tear it down and swap it into the Futura.

Ok guys just got done doing my 5 lug conversion, heres what I used and my dilemmas, I used sn95 94-95 spindles, 99 PBR calipers, adjustable cc plates, I still need to get 94 inner and outer tie rods, I still have to much negative camber on front end, so swapping out to 94-95 control arms, as far as the rear goes I got a 88 t-bird tc rear end with 3.55 posi, swapped a set of 95 sn95 v6 axles into rear and put the complete sn95 rear disc setup on axle, I do know from research that the t-bird rear is same as sn95 length so it is 3/4 of an inch wider, right now have a set of 18x10 fr500 on it with +22, and they are pretty much flush with the outside edge of quarter wheel opening, I am rolling the the lips and then I am having to use a high powered heat gun and warm up the inner and outer panels and then will be pushing the lips outward about a quarter of an inch. yes I know double walled but it can be done if you are patient and take it slow doing it. I have 18x9 on front with +30, even with the negative camber they are still under fender, but I am rolling the fender lip on fronts as well. I f anyone has any other info for me please share it cause this has been all trial and error at this point.

Why do you want to install SN95 inner and outer tie rods? They will be far too long for the FCAs on your car.

If you have too much negative camber, then installing SN95 FCAs will make this problem MUCH worse. Are the tires tilted in or out at the top of them?

If you install SN95 FCAs, the 9" wide, 30mm offset wheels will never fit in front.

What year, model and submodel car are you starting with?
    Jack Hidley

Sorry I miss informed you, to much positive camber, the tops are sticking out compared to the bottom, I been reading through the forum and a lot of guys using sn95 tie rods to gain more thread length when doing conversion, as I know I had to turn the outers out a lot to get the wheels where they needed to be as I was toed in to much in the front. It is a 1984 GT350 5.0 5 speed t-top car, and if I can get pictures uploaded I will share.
    Last edited by TheSpeedy1; 08-10-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: missing info

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast