Close

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    Hi all, I am considering the SN 95 swap for my 83 convertible (it was originally a V6 car, but it now has a V.

Can I use the complete rear differential from a 94/95 GT, plus all the front wheel components (spindles, hubs, calipers, discs, etc)? I understand I would need a 93 cobra booster with a 94/95 MC, can I use a 93 Booster/ MC combo as well?

Will this setup work with 03 Bullit wheels without them sticking out or the center caps not fitting?
    IMHO DO NOT use the 93 Cobra Booster with your set up. I have both in my 79 PC and the brake pedal has little travel and a very hard, difficult to modulate pedal. More of that is due to the 93 Cobra MC, but the booster is not worth the headaches of install IMHO.

A good stock Fox booster (key being a good working unit! ) and your stock MC can work very well with the setup you have. You will HAVE to disable the OEM proportioning valve and install an aftermarket adjustable unit for the rear discs, but other than that it should work fine. The OEM M/C is 21mm or @ 7/8" so the pedal travel is good with a good feel once everything is bleed and adjusted properly. The 94/95 Cobra 15/16" MC will feel very similar and the 93 Cobra MC 1" bore will give you a bit harder pedal with less travel in most cases.

No center cap issues with the SN95 front hubs and spindles. That issue has to do with the OEM spindles/rotor setup or similar swaps such as the Lincoln, Ranger, SVO.

The 03 Bullitt wheels should be 17X8 with a 30mm offset IIRC, and they will fit pretty well in the rear with the 94-98 rear axle assembly. You will still want to roll the rear fender lips for clearance to be sure, especially depending on tire size. Good Luck!

I personally am not a fan of camber bolts, your opinion may vary. I personally install Maximum Motorsports CC Plates on all my Foxes and I have no issues with getting them aligned and ALL my Foxes run SN95 spindles and brakes.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Thanks a lot for the replies! So, if roll the fenders I should be fine with the 94/98 rear axle.

I would be running the stock 245/45 17" bullit wheels from my 03 Mustang, and in the front I´d probably change the 245s for 235 in case they rub.

This car was originally a V6, can I still use the original booster and MC with the aftermarket proportioning valve? The car has "decent" brakes considering its a 83 model.

Yes.

If you change from your current 60mm front calipers to the 1994-95 Mustang GT/V6 66mm calipers, this will be an increase in caliper piston area of 21%. To maintain the same brake pedal effort and travel, you therefore need to increase the m/c piston area by the same percentage.

Starting with a 21mm m/c, this means that you need to change to a 15/16" m/c. This is a 29% change which is the closest choice.

The m/c is available here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Ma...ang-P1221.aspx

The installation kit for the m/c is available here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Ma...ang-P1273.aspx
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Seems like mileage varies on the need for camber bolts. Not sure if it's variations in struts or spindles or what. I had a big problem and I don't anymore.

The best I could do on camber was +2 without them and that's with the struts slammed all the way inward on the caster/camber plates and the tires rubbing on everything all the time.

Now my struts are centered and straight back towards the windshield and have dialed in -2 degrees camber with the most possible caster while being even on both sides.

Over the years, the camber specification has changed a fair amount. Here is a short table of them. From 1987-93 I averaged the V8 and nonV8 values as they are different.

1979-82 0.25 degrees
    1983-86 0.00 degrees
    1987-89 0.02 degrees
    1990-93 -0.55 degrees
    1994-98 -0.60 degrees
    1999-2004 -0.55 degrees
    2005-2014 -0.75 degrees
    2015-up -1.0 degrees

It is definitely moving in the correct direction.

For the 1979-93 cars a lot of the camber changes are from the repositioned holes in the k-member. Some of the changes are from the upper strut mount.

If the camber of the car is changing with mileage, then it is almost definitely from FCA bushing deformation. The rubber strut mounts might be responsible for some of it, but the FCA bushings should be the majority cause.
    Jack Hidley

With my project, absolutely everything was either new or entirely rebuilt. New A arm bushings, balljoints, struts, springs, etc.

I believe factors that may have contributed are the narrower K member found in the 86 combined with using X2 ballpoints.

Another factor may have been that I initially removed the spring compressor once the A arm was supported with a jack at the ballpoint and it may have been too low when I initially torqued the strut bolts.

I did try loosening up the strut bolts and preloading them for as much negative camber as possible but still did not have enough adjustment available and my tires were rubbing with the strut tipped all the way in.

I considered looking at a longer A arm but luckily a friend was able to drop by and we sorted it out.

At any rate, camber bolts addressed it.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-21-2017 at 04:09 AM.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Yes.

If you change from your current 60mm front calipers to the 1994-95 Mustang GT/V6 66mm calipers, this will be an increase in caliper piston area of 21%. To maintain the same brake pedal effort and travel, you therefore need to increase the m/c piston area by the same percentage.

Starting with a 21mm m/c, this means that you need to change to a 15/16" m/c. This is a 29% change which is the closest choice.

The m/c is available here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Ma...ang-P1221.aspx

The installation kit for the m/c is available here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Ma...ang-P1273.aspx
    Thanks a lot, I will definitely look into that MC and the install kit! I´m guessing my current booster will work with this MC?

Yes it will.
    Jack Hidley

FEP Member

I have a question, on my 84 gt do I need to swap out my front lower control arms to 87-93. I seen that if you install cobra front brakes, you need to change out the control arms because the 84 K-member width is shorter than the 87-93. I'm having problems with my outer tie rods bottoming out with the inner tie rods.

All Fox Mustang FCAs are the same width, with the exception of the SVO Mustang.

What year, model and submodel spindles did you install on your car?
    Jack Hidley

FEP Member

1994-95 I had the 1996 before the switch. The car had manual steering when I bought the car, so I put a five lug kit from Dallas mustang. The kit came with the PBR brakes with 1996 spindles. I installed a power rack along with the 1994 spindles, 13 inch cobra and a bumpsteer that I got from someone on here and now have the passenger wheel out to the right or left if looking in front of the car the driver side wheel looks straight. The steering wheel is centered, the outer tie rod has bottomed out with the thread inner rod and I have counted how more turns each side has and it's ok. I also have c/c plates. Oh, my car 1984 gt.

The bumpsteer kit sounds like your problem. You are going to have too remove the rod ends from threaded sleeves and trim some threads off of the rod ends.
    Jack Hidley

FEP Member

Can I buy shorter inner rods for my power rack?

I'm not aware of any shorter inner tie rods than the factory Fox models.
    Jack Hidley

Ok. Heres my question. I want to go 5 lug. May use Cobra Rs not sure yet. However, Im running a manual brake setup with the frpp proportioning valve. Can I still use 4wdb? I dont want to get rid of the manual brakes due to weight savings and other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.....
    Jack Hidley

Name:  DSCN0413.jpeg
Views: 411
Size:  88.6 KB

Meanwhile I just paid through the nose to keep my Mich TRX rims by buying a set of freshly poured treads...

FEP Senior Member

Y'all, I'm still not getting what I need to buy based on the first post with all the options. Sorry to be that guy that needs to be spoon fed the info, but I can't seem to figure it out on my own based on the info listed.

My current plan:
    1980 chassis / body
    1992 8.8 rear-end w/ 1997 GT axles, calipers, etc. I have the 1992 hard lines still on the axle.
    1992 front A-arms & ball joints, 1997 GT front spindles (+spacers), calipers, and rubber lines.
    1992 hard lines from front to back of the car
    1992 brake booster / master cylinder

I don't understand how to massage the driver strut tower properly. Is this a cut & weld, grind, etc.? It says to not hit with a BFH.
    What parts do I need to make the current parts fit in the car, or what parts need to be replaced to make what I have workable? New lines, fittings, etc.

I am building a widebody car, so I will have to buy new wheels anyway. Someone mentioned hub sizes, etc., so I believe I will be buying SN95 based sizes already to fit the new width of the car.

Thanks to anyone that can clarify some details for me.