Close

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Certainly didn't mean to open a can of worms on this one. Thanks for all the info though. It was easy on my car as I did 5-lug disks all the way around with 13" Cobra brakes on the front, MK VII rear end and brakes in the rear and an SVO master cylinder and booster.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD MIKE View Post
    '79 V8

'87-'93 5.0 LX/GT

'94-'98 V6/GT

The bores are different but they use the same size 60mm piston. Raybestos PN DPS85035. That is what moves anyway, the piston, not the bore. I have '79 V8 and '95 GT calipers kicking around here somewhere, just have to locate them. My crap shot theory with why Ford did this was probably the larger bore allowed for better service life out of the calipers. It simply could be that the smaller bore would seize easier than the larger bore. And with better brake pad materials coming onto the market, albeit pistons were seizing in their tight bores from heat.
    It was probably cheaper for Ford to maintain the same steel piston but just up the bore. The caliper was going to be a different design anyway.
    i've noticed some things are screwed up on the rock auto site. look at the engine choices given for an 85 mustang. they don't list a carbed engine.

cale

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTVince
    That does not make any sense! The bore size and the piston size must be matched.
    How so? All calipers are not the same, the '94-'98 use a divorced hub/rotor system. That alone may have a contributing factor into why the clearance is greater on the SN95 caliper.
    Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri
    i've noticed some things are screwed up on the rock auto site. look at the engine choices given for an 85 mustang. they don't list a carbed engine.

cale
    I have no idea why for '85 they have FI and TBI listed, where for '84 they do have 4bbl listed.

CSK/ORLY have this listing...
    http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductG...=1979&End=1998
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

thanks guys for this great info.

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax View Post
    99-04 PBR setup
    I'm not sure what PBR setup is, 99-04 is the year I guess? Can you point me in the right direction? Sorry for the newb question.
    -
    FOX ON FACEBOOK - http://www.facebook.com/CAPRI.RS.5.0 (FACEBOOK for ALL FOX cars)
    -
    My "15 minute" 85 Capri RS restoration thread >>>> http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=98062
    -

Quote Originally Posted by TWiCS View Post
    I'm not sure what PBR setup is, 99-04 is the year I guess? Can you point me in the right direction? Sorry for the newb question.
    Yes, the V6 and GT brake setups. You can go almost any way mentioned as most of them work. The stock 99-04 brake setup however allows 16 inch wheels to be run, if cheap wheels and tires is a concern

You're already in the right direction though, page 1, start from there and you'll get a good grasp of what you'll need to do.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Default E braked eables

Maybe you guys can answer this.......this ebrake cable is to short for my app.. FRPP M-2809-A-. I have a 2001 COBRA IRS I installed in my 82gt, still has original ebrake handle..what is gonna fit this app, I'm having a tough time coming up with the right parts...

Mike,

If Ford used the 60mm piston in a 66mm bore, there would be 3mm of radial clearance between them. This is 1/8". The only thing keeping the brake fluid from blowing out past this gap would be the o-ring seal. A o-ring with an ID of 2.359" and OD of 2.6" has presents an area to the hydraulic pressure of 0.94 in^2. At 1,000psi of brake fluid pressure, that means there is 940lbs of force trying to shear the o-ring out of the caliper bore. That isn't going to work.

That catalog is just listing the wrong piston size for the 66mm caliper.

WOw , thanks i found what i was looking for finally i foung it on 1985GT.com

From someone who just finished the cheaper "Ranger" conversion (a stop gap until I purchase enough Cobra parts)...

The rear conversion went just like planned...easy to do. The front conversion has 3 minor issues that are all workable:

1) You must use a thin cotter pin...minor annoyance but fairly well discussed)
    2) The dust caps are different sized, DOH! The Ranger rotor takes a slightly larger diameter cap (I believe also previously discussed).
    3) The one I have never seen mentioned...The outside brake pad metal backing (there is a mouthfull) needs ground down to clear the rotor "hat". I just took it down on a bench grinder until I wast almost touching the brake material and it seems to clear. You just need to radius the semi-circular part.

Yes, the grinding cost me an hour last night...was done with one side when I heard a weird scraping while rotating the wheel. I thought I would be finished by 11:30 but ended up working on it for another hour.

Kenny
    Last edited by mudgepondexpress; 09-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Ok, been reading through this and it is a great thread!! I have the opportunity to do a brake swap on my 86 GT. I have an 89 LSC for parts. I was thinking of pulling the 5 lug brake set up front and rear out of this car and swap it into my 86. I see that the rear axle is 1.25" longer than my stock 8.8. I was also planning on running the LSC 16" wheels for now till I could afford to buy aftermarket wheels.
    -- Should I swap the entire rear axle into my 86 or should I pull the rear disc parts off the LSC and swap them on my axle?
    --Can I swap the front brake set up spindles and all over??
    --What master cylinder and booster should I run, this car has the 4 wheel ABS unit, which I will not be using. Just get one for a non-ABS MArk series(if they made non-ABS marks)?
    --This car is going to be a street car, just looking to convert over to 5 lug and 4 wheel disc brakes for better stopping power and more availability in aftermarket wheels. I have the complete 89 Mk7 LSC so if I can use these parts off of it, I would like too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

I don't think the 89 Lincoln 8.8 housing will have quad shock mounts welded on it. It does have a limited slip differential. If you want to keep the quad shocks, you'll probably have to swap the brake parts and axles to your housing.

The spindles will not bolt directly to your FCA ball joints. To bolt them on, you would need these:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=444

Here is a link with the pros and cons of using the Lincoln spindles:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...sp_svo_spindle

If you just swap the front brake parts to your spindles, they will bolt directly on.

You need to use a 1-1/8" bore SVO m/c such as this:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=667

And one brake line adapter to connect the SVO m/c to your existing 1986 brake lines:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=671

Your existing power brake booster will work fine.

Jack, thank you very much for the info!! That is awesome!!

Also found these two site with good info for those interested:
    http://home.pacbell.net/black306/tech/reardisc.html
    http://www.sn95brakes.com/5lug.php

Both are really good write ups in my opinion.
    --86 GT vert.306,Powerdyne blown 7 psi, E303, ported E7s,MAF conv, BBK shorties n OR H, 3" Mac Pro Dumps, WC T5, 5 lug'd, 17" Bullitts, 3" cowlhood, SN95 Gt front brakes, 4.11s.
    --Bill

A related wheel question:

Would the 94/95 16*7.5 wheel look really tucked in on the ranger 5 lug conversion? I currently have 2000 17' GT wheels on it and it looks stupid skinny! I was trying to find offset numbers for both but had no luck today on the web.

Thanks
    Kenny

Kenny,

The 16" x 7.5" wheel has a 30mm offset which gives it a 3.07" stickout. The 17" x 8" wheels also have a 30mm offset which gives them a 3.32" stickout.

Thanks for the answer! I guess I will look elsewhere...bummer!

ok I went and just went thru all 9 pages of this and my head is going to explode!! I have purchased a 94/95 front set up for my 86 GT. I would like to keep the stock a-arms. I am not a fan of using spacers for some reason can i just buy 94/95 ball joints and have them pressed into my 86 front arms? thanks for any help..
    1986 Mustang GT Vert
    Pearl White Saleen Kit
    17" Saleen SC wheels
    R blocked 331

Quote Originally Posted by skinnykids86 View Post
    ok I went and just went thru all 9 pages of this and my head is going to explode!! I have purchased a 94/95 front set up for my 86 GT. I would like to keep the stock a-arms. I am not a fan of using spacers for some reason can i just buy 94/95 ball joints and have them pressed into my 86 front arms? thanks for any help..
    You don't have to purchase 94/95 ball joints. Just use 3 hardened spacers on your 86 ball joints. That is what most of us did. In addition, I just completed my Cobra brake upgrade and here is my parts break down:

SN95 (1996 v6) salvage yard parts (all for $89):
    - Rear calipers/rotors (didn't use the rotors)
    - Rear caliper mounting brackets (didn't use)
    - Rear dust shields (didn't use)
    - Rear brake lines (didn't use)
    - Brake booster
    - Master cylinder
    - Proportioning valve (didn't use)

Ebay purchase:
    - 94 GT spindles ($125)
    - 98 Cobra calipers and rotors ($136)

Online purchases from Summit:
    - FMS-M-2300-M GT REAR BRAKE BRACKET KIT ($174)
    - FMS-M-2450-A PROPORTIONING VALVE PLUG ($18 )
    - FMS-M-2809-A PARK BRAKE CABLE REAR x2 ($50)
    - SSB-A0707 PROP VALVE ADJUSTABLE ($46)

Autozone purchases:
    - Brakeware/Brake Caliper Kit - Front - Part Number: 66288 x2 $11.98
    - Brakeware/Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Front- Part Number: H5800 x2 $9.98
    - Brakeware/Brake Hose - Front - Part Number: 70699 $14.99
    - Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads - Front - Part Number: DGC412 $49.99
    - Brakeware/Brake Hose - Front - Part Number: 70695 $14.99
    - Brakeware/Brake Caliper Kit - Rear - Part Number: 60219 x2 $25.98
    - Brakeware/Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Rear - Part Number: H5991 x2 $19.98
    - Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads - Rear - Part Number: DGC627 $54.99

Craigslist purchases:
    - 99 GT wheels/tires ($200)

Total = $1041
    Last edited by smokinn85; 09-25-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    85 GT, 331 Stroker, Forged crank/pistons, AFR185's, 1.6 rollers, CompCams blower cam (35-312-8 ), Performer RPM Intake, Summit Racing 600, MAC 1 3/4" Ceramic Shorties, Stainless 2 1/2" X-pipe, MAC Cat-back w/ 3" tail pipes, Poly bushings front 2 back, 10.5" clutch upgrade, WC T-5, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Tri-ax handle, Granitelli LCA's, BBK Specific Rates, 8.8 w/ 3.73's & Ground Pounder Girdle kit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4j41_xXQM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPrj...eature=related

the ball joints i am thinking should be replaced anyway to to the fact of there age and mile well over 150k. thanks for the rest of the info though. i must say its much better comming on here than other sites where you just get flamed.. i do however have another question i took the fornt dust shields off due to the fact that they were really beat up. Is it a big deal if i don't replace them? And if I do how do I? i was not able to remove the back side of the rivite
    1986 Mustang GT Vert
    Pearl White Saleen Kit
    17" Saleen SC wheels
    R blocked 331

well i just did the ranger axle and rotor swap and it went great on my 86 t-top just make sure you use the fox bearing on the ranger rotors here are a few pics.
    Last edited by 86crazyhorse; 09-26-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    81 glx 6cyl auto blue, 85 GT 5.0 5spd regatta blue
    93 GT 5.0 5 sp black, 79 lx 4cyl auto brown sold
    92 lx coupe 5.0 /supercharger,89 lx coupe 4cyl auto red sold 92 lx 5.0 auto red, 86 gt 5.0 5spd black sold
    86 svo 2R still have
    90 lx 4cyl auto blacksold
    91 lx coupe 5.0 5 spd sold
    84 svo 9w still have
    90 lx roller sold
    85 gt ttop 5.0 auto red.aka junky

Quote Originally Posted by smokinn85 View Post
    You don't have to purchase 94/95 ball joints. Just use 3 hardened spacers on your 86 ball joints. That is what most of us did. In addition, I just completed my Cobra brake upgrade and here is my parts break down:

SN95 (1996 v6) salvage yard parts (all for $89):
    - Rear calipers/rotors (didn't use the rotors)
    - Rear caliper mounting brackets (didn't use)
    - Rear dust shields (didn't use)
    - Rear brake lines (didn't use)
    - Brake booster
    - Master cylinder
    - Proportioning valve (didn't use)

Ebay purchase:
    - 94 GT spindles ($125)
    - 98 Cobra calipers and rotors ($136)

Online purchases from Summit:
    - FMS-M-2300-M GT REAR BRAKE BRACKET KIT ($174)
    - FMS-M-2450-A PROPORTIONING VALVE PLUG ($18 )
    - FMS-M-2809-A PARK BRAKE CABLE REAR x2 ($50)
    - SSB-A0707 PROP VALVE ADJUSTABLE ($46)

Autozone purchases:
    - Brakeware/Brake Caliper Kit - Front - Part Number: 66288 x2 $11.98
    - Brakeware/Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Front- Part Number: H5800 x2 $9.98
    - Brakeware/Brake Hose - Front - Part Number: 70699 $14.99
    - Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads - Front - Part Number: DGC412 $49.99
    - Brakeware/Brake Hose - Front - Part Number: 70695 $14.99
    - Brakeware/Brake Caliper Kit - Rear - Part Number: 60219 x2 $25.98
    - Brakeware/Brake Disc Hardware Kit - Rear - Part Number: H5991 x2 $19.98
    - Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads - Rear - Part Number: DGC627 $54.99

Craigslist purchases:
    - 99 GT wheels/tires ($200)

Total = $1041
    I was wandering how you are going to get the cobra rotors to fit in the rear?
    86GT TTop "resto mod" in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by fox4eye View Post
    I was wandering how you are going to get the cobra rotors to fit in the rear?
    Not sure what you mean. All you need is Cobra brackets (FMS-M-2300-M GT REAR BRAKE BRACKET KIT) and 17" wheels.
    85 GT, 331 Stroker, Forged crank/pistons, AFR185's, 1.6 rollers, CompCams blower cam (35-312-8 ), Performer RPM Intake, Summit Racing 600, MAC 1 3/4" Ceramic Shorties, Stainless 2 1/2" X-pipe, MAC Cat-back w/ 3" tail pipes, Poly bushings front 2 back, 10.5" clutch upgrade, WC T-5, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Tri-ax handle, Granitelli LCA's, BBK Specific Rates, 8.8 w/ 3.73's & Ground Pounder Girdle kit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od4j41_xXQM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPrj...eature=related

Ok, I'm starting to gather parts for my swap. So I'm wounding if it's ok to ask questions about parts I'm looking at here? If not I can post elsewhere. I found some spindles and hubs that the seller says in off a 99-04 mustang. I have no clue on what this stuff should cost so I wanted to check with yawl. I know these will push the wheels out the furthest so I'm wonder if I should use these on my 85. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180577089866

Thanks, Scott
    -Scott

2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t Limited[/COLOR][/B]

Thanks, that is some good reading... a lot of info I did not know! I'm for sure sticking with the 1994-95 spindles for my setup.
    -Scott

2012 Hyundai Sonata 2.0t Limited[/COLOR][/B]

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast