Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is it just me or is the needle on the tach faded much more than the needle on the speedo.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

You are correct. Just like the outer sides of the seats are faded much more than the centers and middle.

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Is it just me or is the needle on the tach faded much more than the needle on the speedo.
    That is always the case for a car that sits outside. All the gauge clusters I have gotten have been that way. The gauges near the window always are badly faded.

I think the shadow of the steering wheel is producing a bit of an illusion to it too.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    That is always the case for a car that sits outside. All the gauge clusters I have gotten have been that way. The gauges near the window always are badly faded.

I think the shadow of the steering wheel is producing a bit of an illusion to it too.

-Mike
    FYI the two little guages closer to the window are alot more faded then the two on the other side also. I agree though, it looks worse than it is in real life.

Thanks for the additional pics! I'd say they'll resolve some questions, and raise some more.

I know how frustrating it can be to have someone claim your car might not be what you know it is because you are looking right at it. I didn't know exactly what I was looking at when I was considering bidding on my '85 GS 5.0L when it was for sale on Ebay, so I asked the folks here what they thought about it. It didn't matter what they thought about it since I liked it and bought it anyway, but I had several folks tell me it was a total hack job for various reasons. I also had a few tell me it was just as it should be. Not until I got all the codes together along with the pictures and the information from the dearlership ordering books (thanks to negusm and Sandy at www.ascmclarnencoupe.org) was I able to prove that it was still a very original car that was built just as a GS 5.0L should be according to the books. The problem is it seems there are fewer '85 GS 5.0Ls built by the books than there are ones built like the RSs.

The black map pockets on the doors rule out a carpet dye job in my mind.

Here's one thing I noticed...the emission sticker on the underside of the hood is correctly dated for an '85 model year, but look at where it is located. It's on the passenger side. However, on my '85 GS it's on the driver's side. I also found another picture of an '85 GS built like an RS without it's underhood insulation. It also has it on the drivers side. Interesting. Here it is.

Last edited by MHISSTC; 12-06-2006 at 06:55 AM.
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

I noticed that emission sticker location too, I thought the 85's were on the drivers side and the 86's got them on the passengers side...But the hood light wire runs to the passenger side, which would be correct but, opposite for 86's.

The carpet in the hatch where the back seats fold down and locks into place....is that also black ?

It's on the passenger side on this 86.

1984s had it on the driver's side. I am unsure exactly when the switchover was. I would guess sometime mid-year 1985 then.

-Mike

Everybit of carpet is black.Doors, carpet hatch fold down carpet ECT...The seatbacks however are red(part of the seats). I tried taking the scoop off the hood yesterday and it reminded me so much of the 80s.The screws started coming out of the scoop instead of the nuts coming off the bolt One more reason i truly think the scoop is orogonal also. My car is a misfit.

Travis T

I'd be willing to bet that the door panels and carpet are perfectly original, but I bet the hoodscoop was a dealer installed item before the car was sold. If you look at the hood on the white Capri above, it has a hole for mounting a scoop too.

FWIW, the black carpet with the red interior should have been more widespread, as it looks much nicer than an all red interior.

FEP Super Member

my 84 has the sticker on the passenger side .
    I noticed that the pass, fender where the antena was , is a different color ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    my 84 has the sticker on the passenger side .
    I noticed that the pass, fender where the antena was , is a different color ?

Its just real dirty under there

maybe carpet got muffed before it lefted the dealer, maybe red carpet was backordered and they got black factory carpet(it comes precut), and then had door panels done to match. The car would have been new and all screws would come out easy. If some really takes there time you can put a car back together with out muffing parts up.

Thing is, it's tough to replace that carpetting on the door panels to have it stitched on exactly like the factory would do it. If a dealer did it, they would yank them off and glue new ones on there.

-Mike

rember this would be a brand new car when this was done they would not do it in house they would send out to a upholstery shop, and they could sew carpet on just like ford did. A good perosn should would pay attention to detail and copy exactly like ford did it can be done easily
    I would bet farm it left ford with red carpet,
    Last edited by dilling; 12-06-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dilling View Post
    they would send out to a upholstery shop, and they could sew carpet on just like ford did
    I tried this with a pair of door panels and they couldn't do it. They started resewing new carpet on but gave up and glued it.

I'm still trying to find the guy who got the same NOS panels in a lot I won on ebay that I just wanted certain pieces in. I am hoping he may still have the part numbers on the bags for them. I'm betting they have "E4CY-xxxx-xx" or something that says they would be only for Capris.

-Mike

rember this would be a brand new car when this was done they would not do it in house they would send out to a upholstery shop, and they could sew carpet on just like ford did. A good perosn should would pay attention to detail and copy exactly like ford did it can be done easily
    I would bet farm it left ford with red carpet,

I cannot believe after all that has been said, you are even questioning the carpet.Not for nothing but use a little common sense. Gee what makes more sense??,it came from the factory this way or for some freak of a situation long time ago when the car had 5k miles on it, the carpet got changed.??
    Wait a minute, maybe the customer said " i will only take the car if you change the carpet"
    The funny thing is, its so absolutley illegal to mess with seatbelts, this would NOT have been done.Even in the 80s.

Sometimes you just need to let things go.Its already been said from 2 people that have had this same colr scheme in their capris. What more do you want? DNA testing..........Who really cares anyway. I know you want to learn but it sounds to me like some people just look for things wrong.Even when its staring you right in the face.........I still think it was aliens. I thought i saw
    "ALF" hairs on the carpet.

RS built May 23, 1983 = driver's side sticker
    OLD GUY CAR NUT

Quote Originally Posted by MHISSTC View Post
    Thanks for the additional pics! I'd say they'll resolve some questions, and raise some more.

I know how frustrating it can be to have someone claim your car might not be what you know it is because you are looking right at it. I didn't know exactly what I was looking at when I was considering bidding on my '85 GS 5.0L when it was for sale on Ebay, so I asked the folks here what they thought about it. It didn't matter what they thought about it since I liked it and bought it anyway, but I had several folks tell me it was a total hack job for various reasons. I also had a few tell me it was just as it should be. Not until I got all the codes together along with the pictures and the information from the dearlership ordering books (thanks to negusm and Sandy at www.ascmclarnencoupe.org) was I able to prove that it was still a very original car that was built just as a GS 5.0L should be according to the books. The problem is it seems there are fewer '85 GS 5.0Ls built by the books than there are ones built like the RSs.

The black map pockets on the doors rule out a carpet dye job in my mind.

Here's one thing I noticed...the emission sticker on the underside of the hood is correctly dated for an '85 model year, but look at where it is located. It's on the passenger side. However, on my '85 GS it's on the driver's side. I also found another picture of an '85 GS built like an RS without it's underhood insulation. It also has it on the drivers side. Interesting. Here it is.

Woo Hoo someone used my car! I know the feeling too. I felt like some of the folks on here were questioning mine as well until I got to know them.
    Brett
    ------
    85 Capri GS 5.0, 5 speed, T-top 147,000 miles.
    Offroad H-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers.

My WebShots Gallery!

Default no

I was just telling what i HAVE SEEN FROM WORKING at a Resto-shop 25 YEARS. I have seen things like this happen. If you want to prove me wrong pull door panels off and look where they are staple to panel I bet you panel has holes where shop pulled old staples. They could never hit same holes again. That is the only way you can prove or disprove. I was just adding input and your a taking offense to it.
    Also use some common sense "ilegal to mess with seat belts".Ok maybe it illegal to "mess with seat belts" but not illegal to to fix them. We replace seat belts offten.
    Last car a dog freaked and chewed them up.So a car is total when seat belt gets mess up. We often replace seat belts after hard hits . Guys that ordered replacement carpet the FBI is coming to get you we are going to jail, I will bring the beer. Also ther is a skill you have I would pay for you to teach me. How can you tell if screw has ever been removed, I can tell if someone did not take the time to use right tool, or realy butch head,but you have a skill that is almost super hero like. please share
    Last edited by dilling; 12-07-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Travis T

dilling, two people here have already said they've owned red door panels with black carpeting on them, I think we just need to let it go. I know some of us are just curious about things, but sometimes the way it comes across is just going to drive new members from this website.

I was just telling what i HAVE SEEN FROM WORKING at a Resto-shop 25 YEARS. I have seen things like this happen. If you want to prove me wrong pull door panels off and look where they are staple to panel I bet you panel has holes where shop pulled old staples. They could never hit same holes again. That is the only way you can prove or disprove. I was just adding input and your a taking offense to it.
    Also use some common sense "ilegal to mess with seat belts".Ok maybe it illegal to "mess with seat belts" but not illegal to to fix them. We replace seat belts offten.
    Last car a dog freaked and chewed them up.So a car is total when seat belt gets mess up. We often replace seat belts after hard hits . Guys that ordered replacement carpet the FBI is coming to get you we are going to jail, I will bring the beer. Also ther is a skill you have I would pay for you to teach me. How can you tell if screw has ever been removed, I can tell if someone did not take the time to use right tool, or realy butch head,but you have a skill that is almost super hero like. please share
    Well i am a super hero.My name is ALF

Im not going to get aggrevated over his but i WILL tell you this. A dealership CANNOT by law mess with vehicle seatbelts on NEW vehicles whether it be in the 80s or today.....

By the way, Ive owned a car dealership for over 11 years............I know the laws.

Also i want you all to know i appreciate the information and the help very much from this website . Im not taking offense. We are talking about a 22 year old piece of steel.Its not my daughter LOL. Im just trying to help you fill in the gaps and learn stuff too.I just hate beating a horse to death, thats all. I bet the scoop was put on by the dealership.That does makes perfect sense.Im not so sure about the factory doing it asmuch as i am pretty confident its been on there for a very LONG time and the installation appears to be factory.Something a dealership could have probally done better that the body shops of the era.

Here are the wheels that are going on the car.They owner gave them to me so i sanded them down, polished the lip and painted the centers black and
    re-cleared the whole rim. The centers where aluminum color. Im happy with the result but i wish I could have gotten them a little more shiney.The metal appears to be the kind that doesnt like polish too much.

Wow, you sure flip them around quick, huh??
    83 Mustang Hatch made Coupe with a 5.0, t-5 and sporting 10 holes. View my progress on my Cardomain Site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2363043/1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast