Close

Default Speed bumps... Swap details.

I'm waiting on parts before I can drop in the Turbo drivetrain...

Somehow I managed to misplace the duct that runs from the VAM to the Turbo inlet. Aside from trying to find another TC in a junkyard, is there an easy substitute for the correct part?

The bellows between the turbo outlet and the throttlebody looks pretty well worn. Is there a better substitute? Does Ford still offer these two pieces?

Anyone know where I can find some pics or diagrams that show how the fuel lines are routed on an EFI Mustang?

It's getting close, just a few minor details left to figure out and the actual installation.
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

FEP Senior Member loutheplumber's Avatar

we ran the fuel lines up the passengers side of my car on the inside of the pinch seem then throuth the inside of the fender and into the enginge bay along that pinch seem to the drivers side dont for get to protect the lines from abrasion
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo
    1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe now lives as power plant in 1990 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    1959 Ford 871 Select-o-Speed
    "You Can Tell The Men From The Boys By The Price of Their Toys"

Mine are on the driver said just like the vehicle I got them from, a 91 4 cylinder Mustang. If you get/got lines from a Turbo 2.3, they should just "fall" into place with a few exceptions along the lines as far as mounting goes.

No matter where you go, there you are

Thanks for the pics... But the lines I've got are off the Turbo Coupe. They're the semi-hard plastic lines with the duckbill ends. On the TC they were held in with white plastic clips, and honestly that was several months ago when I parted the car. I saved the lines, but in the interest of sanity in moving, they got coiled up. Did the SVO's and Turbo GT's get the hard lines or the soft lines? Anyone got a few snapshots of softline routing? I want to say on the Tbird that the fuel filter was on the passengers rear frame rail somewhere near the differential, and the lines just went up the passengers side on the frame rail and up into the engine bay. I probably should have taken pics at the time to help with install into the Mustang, but back then i wasn't sure I'd even make it this far... In addition to the lines in the pic I do have the fuel filter assembly that I need to figure out where to mount...

Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 08:28 PM.

if I were you I'd use the hard lines. the turbocoupe lines are longer. on mine they are hard lines to the engine bay then go to plastic from ford
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Understood... Aren't the plastic lines just plastic tube with the ends pressed in? Would it not be possible to pull the ends, shorten the lines, and press them back in?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to save money and time in the junkyard.

You probably can but not sure how.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/...gs%26Fuel_Line

i went with new plastic lines and ends for my fuel line but it ran me around $240 but i ran them pretty much however we wanted i made a mount for the fuel filter and put it above the rear axle its only about 30 inches from the pump i can probally gat ics of the fuel line if you want ive just neer takent pics of the underside of the capri yet
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo
    1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe now lives as power plant in 1990 Jeep Wrangler

Holy crap.
    Stainless steel reproductions cost half of that.

but i got to run them the way i wanted
    plus at the time i didnt know you could buy just the ends i was buying the repair peices that came with like 18 inches of line and a coupling
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo

I wanted to run them through the interior...but I don't think that was smart. And the lines I bought were $10 from a guy doing a V8 conversion.

I'll probably take a closer look into shortening the lines when I get that far... On a related note, rather then start another thread...

Does anyone know if the flywheel on my carbed 2.3 is identical to a EFI 2.3T? The one out of the Turbocoupe is missing a few teeth on the ring gear.

No different sizes. But you can use it as long as you use the correct clutch(and if its a T5 going in with it it needs a 10 spline clutch that fits) with it too.

I've got a clutch set for an 86 TC, so that shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if I can just get a new ring gear and have it installed on the flywheel? Probably a long shot. Who knows what happened to the TC flywheel... It's missing 2/3rds of a bunch of teeth and it had a new/remanned starter on it. It did start the one time I fired it up before I pulled the engine, I'd just rather fix the problem before I put it all in the car.

Well a new flywheel is $60. I also found a few teeth missing on mine, but never bothered to replace it like you(but I did run a 4 speed clutch and tranny first because I did'nt have a T5), but after 3-4 years on the same flywheel I have yet to have a problem with those missing teeth...then again I may have just jinxed myself.

I did a little poking around and it looks like the 4spd flywheel is a match for just about any 4cyl manual trans Mustang, while the TC flywheel is the same as just about every 2.3 manual trans Ranger ever produced. Now just to find a good one either new, or get it resurfaced.

The clutch was out in the TC, that's how I got it cheap... So I'd have to get it resurfaced anyway. If it was one problem or the other I'd probably leave it, but two strikes and it's worth replacing.
    Last edited by Jimmy2.3Mustang; 05-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Travis T

The ring gear is easily replacable. The flywheel in your Mustang should work?

The 4 speed flywheel indeed will work with any manual. But the clutch will be the issue. THe turbocoupe clutch(at least the 87/8 are larger and 10 spline. The N/A flywheel(T5), is the same size, but the dowel pins are in a different location so the clutch won't fit...now the 4 speed clutch...is 26 spline and won't work with a T5 tranny.

Just to clarify the answer I came up with in my case... Regarding the flywheel anyway...

The 86 Mustang 4spd flywheel is different then the 86 TC flywheel.
    I was able to verify they aren't the same by searching at www.car-part.com and various discount parts stores websites.

Since the first part I bought for my swap was a new clutch set for a 86 TurboCoupe, it makes sense to use a 86 TC flywheel. It would seem as though every junkyard on the planet has a Ranger flywheel that is the same as a Turbocoupe, and Advance can get me a new one for $70 same day.

I haven't looked into getting a new ring gear for the flywheel, since I'm still waiting on other parts to get here before I can finish my swap.

So far it's been extremely cheap and easy to put this all together. I still have to figure out the driveshaft and decide if the TC crossmember is going to work, or if I'll need to go get one from the JY. Since the big missing piece of my system is taking forever to get here, I went ahead and opted to upgrade to the E6 manifold, Large VAM, and LA3. When the 86 EFI tank finally gets here I should have everything I need to drop the engine in. Then we get to find out if the exploded clutch disc was the only problem and also how well a 150,000 mile 2.3T runs.

the drive shaft needs to be 45.5 inches center of u-joint to center of u-joint i had a new one made.
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo

If you're using the T5 transmission, you really don't need the Turbocoupe crossmember. If anything, only some grinding to the tranny mount holes would be needed. I used my orignal crossmember and it just fit a little tight.

And I got my driveshaft for like $20, or $5 I don't really remember anymore.

I wish I had a picture of my existing crossmember. There's virtually nothing left of it. Rust sucks. It's holding together so far, but I expect that as soon as I unbolt the 4spd and go to unbolt the crossmember it'll probably crumble to nothing.