Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exclamation Mclaren M81

I know this is a old thread but I have a 1981 DSO car. I believe its the only T-Top car with the M81 body on it. The car needs new paint and if I had enough interest I would have molds made of the hood and body before I do the body work. Feel free to contact me directly. drae@d3racing.com Serious interest only! I can email pics of the car if interested. New to the site and I don't know how to post pics on here. Will email to someone if they can post them. Thanks

I was contact by hanes hot rods.... If you read this your email is not working. I've tried to send you pics. Please send a phone number with your email. I will only call if the email doesn't work. Thanks
    Last edited by D3RACING; 09-08-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Default M81 DSO

I couldn't post pics but I made it my avatar. If someone body would post them, I will email them to you.
    Last edited by D3RACING; 09-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.

I can post them if you like, I will PM you my e-mail..
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Waking this up......
    If anyone has any info on M81/Enduro fenders, molds, etc..... Please post up.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

FEP Power Member

The guy that said he had the molds also had 4 M81 cars, 2 race cars and #1 and #10 street cars. He died and his parts and cars were sold. I ended up with the backup race car. The molds were never heard from. They may have been throw away because the people selling off the parts may not have known what they were for. Here is a pic of the car I got out of the collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kendal

Bummer. Would love to have had the opportunity to get the molds......
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Is there ANY way to get a set of molds made?????
    conmech - aka Marshall

Where there is a will there is a way.

Molds can always be made off an existing part or car. The issue is always recouping the time and materials of the molds. The molds alone will generally cost 2-3 times the cost of the part due to size, shape, and complexity.

When laying up a new part you have the time and materials of the actual part PLUS a portion of the cost of the molds that needs to be recovered to justify the whole process. If you have a large enough market for the parts, then this is easy, but when dealing with unique and slow moving parts the investment cost becomes much more difficult to recover.

If you want quality fiberglass/carbon fiber parts you need quality molds. If you want to make A LOT of parts then you need quality molds and very strong/durable molds. All of those items just add to the cost of molds.

I plan to make molds of my IMSA/Trans Am body parts since I want to save the originals as wall art. I have estimated the mold costs for the 2 front fenders, front bumper/air dam, rear bumper, 2 rear quarters, and 2 doors will easily be $3,000-$5,000 in materials alone not including my labor. Just to give you and rough idea of costs.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanx Trey. I know it won't be cheap....... BUT I WANT A SET!!!!!
    conmech - aka Marshall

m81mclaren your box is full. Cant reply on topic.......
    conmech - aka Marshall

cleared out
    Current FEP:
    1980 M81 McLaren Carb Turbo 2.3T #003P ... IT'S ALIVE after a 22 year slumber thread!

Past FEP:
    1986 Capri GS 5.0- very missed but in goods hands
    1985 LTD SSP- quick little fox 5.0

I have a way to make molds but I'd need a car to pull molds from - preferrably not one that is in nice condition. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have a 1982 Mustang GT I'm considering doing a widebody. Would love to put a McLaren Widebody on it. If somebody can provide a car or parts i can make molds.

John
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine View Post
    I have a way to make molds but I'd need a car to pull molds from - preferrably not one that is in nice condition. I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have a 1982 Mustang GT I'm considering doing a widebody. Would love to put a McLaren Widebody on it. If somebody can provide a car or parts i can make molds.

John
    Wow, with you and a couple of guys wanting to do Carbon Fiber parts, we could have some serious fun......
    conmech - aka Marshall

Personally I was never a huge fan of the M81 bodywork. Ok before everyone grabs pitch forks and torches!!! I would love to own one if that were possible due to the heritage and the rarity. Just wouldn't go thru the trouble to make my own unless I was given a full body kit for free.

With that said, I have considered using my Tom Gloy Body panels to make smaller front and rear flares more like the early IMSA Mustangs such as this.

Name:  1982 IMSA GT.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  290.4 KB

Name:  1982 IMSA GT2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  38.2 KB

Another picture showing the flares a bit better and how it flows into the rear bumper cover that obviously isn't stock.

Name:  82francis3.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  74.2 KB

For a street car these flow better into the stock doors and don't require the Massive wheels/tires that the later model IMSA body kit would. The later flares will also require the doors to be extended out with either a cap or actually cutting the door at the inner shell and moving the entire outer skin further out from the body to match up with the flares front and rear. You can see in the pictures below the additional width of the door on the top where the window felts sit. That area is much wider than on a stock door. You can also see how much wider the front flares are by the additional body are outside of the headlight openings on the front bumper.

Name:  tumblr_nqf8nsfMsR1rd1k4jo1_1280.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  39910187_260706581318572_4837853928173338624_n.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  96.9 KB

The later IMSA body kit will require custom bumper covers front and rear to match up to the flares. The early kit could probably be molded into the stock bumper covers front and rear, but not sure how that would ultimately look.

I also don't know that the early smaller flare kit really gives ME the "POP" I want for all the work involved. The other issue is that I seriously doubt there are enough interested people that want to build their own WideBody to justify the time and money to build the flares and then the molds to replicate them. If I was only rich with nothing better to do with my spare time.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-03-2019 at 09:20 AM.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Here is one of the Hybrid cars that has the larger later model flares but still uses the stock doors. This gives you an idea of how much larger the later flares are then then early ones.

Name:  Hybrid Wide Body.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  64.6 KB

Sorry! I kind of Hijacked the Thread here! Forgot we were in the M81 & Enduro GT section. I can move my last couple of posts to another thread if everyone would prefer. Apparently posting without significant coffee is not a good thing!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-03-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Lol..... hijackers.... tisk - tisk... lol

It’s that moment when each of us realizes the hijacker at times is US. And most of the time to our own thread yet too! Lol. One of my build threads comes to mind. (guilty!)

For those wanting to see Fords progression of their road race cars, you need to see the collection that is at 3 Dog Garage in PA. This is not open to the public, however, the owner, on occasion, has local and regional club tours.

http://www.3dog.org/late_race.htm

These are not static display cars, they all get run from time to time.....
    Last edited by mrmustang; 01-19-2019 at 06:18 PM.

So much win in this thread! Not sure if the OP is still here or not. But, the SVO body kit has some of the same lines as the M81, just toned down a bit. I can't say that I have read about anyone ordering a set though. I came close to doing it for my '79.

http://www.preformresources.com/Mustang-Body-Parts.htm

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

FEP Senior Member

I have the ‘smaller’ Gloy body panels from the 82 IMSA car. You know the ones.

I’ve not built a car around them yet, probably won’t for some time. Might be time to let them go.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    I have the ‘smaller’ Gloy body panels from the 82 IMSA car. You know the ones.

I’ve not built a car around them yet, probably won’t for some time. Might be time to let them go.
    Hmm . . . . NO MUST RESIST! MUST RESIST Temptation!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Hmm . . . . NO MUST RESIST! MUST RESIST Temptation!
    TREEEEYYYYY, DOOOO IIITTTTT.... You know you want to.....
    conmech - aka Marshall

FEP Senior Member

Went to my storage today, opened the door and stared at the stuff for awhile. It’s irreplaceable.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    Went to my storage today, opened the door and stared at the stuff for awhile. It’s irreplaceable.
    Agreed! I have had several offers for my Gloy body panels and have had to say NO every time. I know I will NEVER find another set. I just need to get home for more than a couple of weeks, clean out the garage and start making some molds!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Would love to see cars built with these legacy panels. Would also like to see molds made also so others can play here. Imagine getting 15 or so GTP Mustangs on a track for some fun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast