Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    FEP Power Member

I personally liked the SVO style ones better. However on these, if you close it off (so you can't see the body behind it.. and not at a 90', give it a little angle, like 100') or at least thicken it up a bit (so it looks more 3d, not just a thin piece), and either make the whole box not stick out so much, or have it get thinner as it gets to the center of the door, then thicker as it meets up with the front rocker.. that's my tastes anyhow.
    Marc aka tripice351. 84.5 GT-350 2.3T.. and now, 1982 GL coupe.

I was thinking of putting screen in the opening so it wasn't so open. I was also thinking the same thing with having it taper down at the middle of the door. Maybe if I taper it from the wheel to the center...it would make the opening smaller and the over all look less boxy. I like both options, but can't make up my mind which I like better.
    83 Mustang Hatch made Coupe with a 5.0, t-5 and sporting 10 holes. View my progress on my Cardomain Site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2363043/1

How about if I did the SVO style, but as a triangle and further forward like this pic?? That will be much easier and I think it looks better too. Here is a quick paint rendition:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    83 Mustang Hatch made Coupe with a 5.0, t-5 and sporting 10 holes. View my progress on my Cardomain Site at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2363043/1

Much better. I say go with that one.
    1986 LX conv. w/ '85 GT 5.0L, 600cfm Holley, MSD, K&N, ceramic shorties, 2.5" O/R h-pipe, Superturbos, MM sub-frames, 3-core radiator, 3g Alt., Mark IIIV fan
    best 1/8 mile 9.56 @ 71.63mph - 2.1 60ft
    Former 3.8L V-6 - best 1/8 mile 11.22

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
    Much better. I say go with that one.
    I have one more idea that I want to try, but most likely I will go with this one. It is easier and quicker than anything else I have come up with...and probaly looks the best too

im not really diging them bud, its a little to boxey. Plus im more of a stock LX look kinda person, although i do think the rear bumper is cool, but so far not digging the sides or the front.

but if you like it thats what matters.

Plus im sure it would look better painted.

mad props for being able to do something like that though.

and thanks for the help in the pm's man.
    91 Thunderbird SC../ Supercharged / polished SC wheels / FOR SALE

looking for 5.0 mustang in ohio..

86 Mustang 302 V8 / 5 Speed / FFRP Headers / Cobra R Wheels / 4:10 Posi / Striped Tail Lights / KC Clutch / Custom LX Rear Spoiler Molded To Fit Our Vert / Sony Speakers & Headunit.

76 Cobra fastback 2+2...been in the family for 24 years.

FEP Senior Member

ll you need is the opening in the front of the airdam and ducting shroud to the radiator and you will have exactly what I have wanted for years.

Looking at your work on Car Domain I was sitting in shocked amazement.
    85 Mustang Coupe, 3.3L I6, C4, 8.8 3L23, 17x8 wheels. About 70% towards firing it up.

I marked out where I am going to cut the holes in the valance...just got the lights so I have to double check the measurements before I start cutting.

I haven't gotten much else done with it...got a sinus infection last week and it is kicking my butt, then I had to do some needed maintenance on my truck...top off the fluids, air up the tires, change the fuel filter, clean the fpr screen, removed the fan and cardboard the rad (so it gets warm)...all the fun stuff you have to do to a diesel that has been sitting for 3 months and it all of a sudden drops to 20 outside and snows.

Yes, it will look much better when it is painted (the parts won't stick out soooo much) and hopefully tomorrow I can get something else done with it. I still have to try another idea I have that will hopefully make the sides look cleaner and not boxy...should blend better, I hope.

Anyways...here is a pic of what will be cut out in the front. The center hole is the same size as the stock 'vent' holes in the bumper cover and lines right up with them. I will also put a scoop in the opening and 4" ducting up to the vacinity of the air cleaner to feed it cool fresh air, but it wouln't be completely sealed so if I pick up water (imagine, water in NW Washington) it won't drown the air cleaner.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Okay, I'm a bit "late" in viewing this thread........ But, i have to admit that I'm certainly "digging it!" 2 thumbs up with a twithst & a kith!
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
    Okay, I'm a bit "late" in viewing this thread........ But, i have to admit that I'm certainly "digging it!" 2 thumbs up with a twithst & a kith!
    Thanks. Hopefully after this weekend I will have a 'finished' product and some pics to show. Then it will be a waiting game untill it gets a little warmer out and I can get this thing all painted.

Quote Originally Posted by ford005 View Post
    Thanks. Hopefully after this weekend I will have a 'finished' product and some pics to show. Then it will be a waiting game untill it gets a little warmer out and I can get this thing all painted.
    Sounds like a plan......
    One thing that may or may not be of future consequence.... I wonder if you might need to install a lower chin spoiler to help redirect air up into the radiator? I know the '87-up Mustangs have a simple plastic one bolted to the bottom of the radiator support & new "rebops" are available through www.50resto.com IMHO...
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

The opening in the middle will be enclosed and channel the air to the radiator...that should be good enough (I hope).

The opening in the middle will be enclosed and channel the air to the radiator...that should be good enough (I hope).
    I agree; an enclosed channel would easily do the trick.... Spending some time at the circle track races, haven't you?

I spent two summers helping my dad's friend build a pure-stock for the local track...and was a big fan of NASCAR in the good ol' days.

The funny thing is that this started out as a DD...now it will be a 'spirited' DD!

I marked out where I am going to cut the holes in the valance...just got the lights so I have to double check the measurements before I start cutting.

I haven't gotten much else done with it...got a sinus infection last week and it is kicking my butt, then I had to do some needed maintenance on my truck...top off the fluids, air up the tires, change the fuel filter, clean the fpr screen, removed the fan and cardboard the rad (so it gets warm)...all the fun stuff you have to do to a diesel that has been sitting for 3 months and it all of a sudden drops to 20 outside and snows.

Yes, it will look much better when it is painted (the parts won't stick out soooo much) and hopefully tomorrow I can get something else done with it. I still have to try another idea I have that will hopefully make the sides look cleaner and not boxy...should blend better, I hope.

Anyways...here is a pic of what will be cut out in the front. The center hole is the same size as the stock 'vent' holes in the bumper cover and lines right up with them. I will also put a scoop in the opening and 4" ducting up to the vacinity of the air cleaner to feed it cool fresh air, but it wouln't be completely sealed so if I pick up water (imagine, water in NW Washington) it won't drown the air cleaner.

That first one with the tape in the headlight spot, maybe with all the custom work, maybe some special custom headlights, looks good.

What are you long term plans for the car? First mustang on the moon maybe?
    If I were to degrease my car, i'd have nothing....

Thumbs up New Laptop?

This is what I did yesterday (after spending the morning at the stores to get a good deal on a NEW LAPTOP)...I wanted a 'GT' type look but didn't have the coin to get GT bumpers or even after market valances. I like the NASCAR look and am quite handy with my hands, so I took a shot at fabbing some valances out of sheet metal. I still need to finish the other three spats...but tell me what you guys think. Thanks!!
    Looks great. Please keep us updated with current pictures. I am also looking for a laptop for a gift for my son who is a freshman in college. What did you end up buying? Thanks, Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by billison View Post
    That first one with the tape in the headlight spot, maybe with all the custom work, maybe some special custom headlights, looks good.

What are you long term plans for the car? First mustang on the moon maybe?
    The pics are all the same, just different angles. I am thinking about getting the replacement light that use the H4 bulbs or see what else I can find.

Long term...I am not sure. I would like to get into some road racing if I can find a track close by but untill then, it will just be a spirited DD so I don't have to drive my PSD everyday. I love the truck, but the price of Diesel and the added wear and tear doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Newman View Post
    Looks great. Please keep us updated with current pictures. I am also looking for a laptop for a gift for my son who is a freshman in college. What did you end up buying? Thanks, Ken.
    I got an HP Pavilion DV6110US (entertainment series). It is a 15.4" wide screen with AMD Turion 64x2 processor, 1024 mb memory and 80 gig hard drive. It has the super multi dvd/cd drive, built in wireless/lan/modem, S-video output and a pair of usb ports. The only thing I wish it had was the card reader, but I can do without. Overall, it is a great computer and very easy to use. I was looking at toshiba and gateway as well. My wife wanted to get a Dell, but I personally don't like them...no one I know with one has had a good experience with them...but she may get one anyways. Office Max had a good deal with a computer simular to mine with a printer and a camera for about $1050, but I picked this one up for $750 and got a nice Nikon L6 camera for $160 and a printer for free. It sucks shopping around for these things...so many choices and it's hard to find a good price. Hope you can find a good deal for your son...he will really be happy and should get alot of use out of it.

Hopefully today I can get something done with the car, HA. I had to go get fire wood this morning and now I need to dig out some parts for a few guys. I think I have decided what I am going to do with the sides so hopefully it turns out well. I will post pics as soon as I have some to share.
    Last edited by ford005; 12-03-2006 at 02:49 PM.

I got something accomplished today Not as much as I wanted, but at least it is something. I got one side 66% done and it looks great (I think). Instead of going as square on the sides as shown in previous pics, I just wrapped the metal from the door sill down to the bottom of the rocker and the spat only sticks out 1.5" on the bottom and curves out just a tad as it goes to the wheel. I also let the rear valance come in some so it isn't straight up and down and will try to curve it some next time I work on it. Anywhoo....take a look at the pics and let me know what you all think of it. Hopefully I will get to work on it again tomorrow and finish the one side.

Coming along very nicely. I love the new spats and the design for the front looks good too. I'm still undecided on the rear bumper. I'm a bit curious what it looks like on the ground.
    84 Mustang L 5.0 (drag car in progress)
    81 Mustang Cobra (project car--- MOTOR FINISHED!)
    93 Mustang LX ---gone
    83 Mustang Coupe---( next project it seems...)

damn, its like we got ourselves a 4 eyed version of Chip Foose.

So man, I'm loving it 100%!!!
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

Quote Originally Posted by frost_reaver View Post
    Coming along very nicely. I love the new spats and the design for the front looks good too. I'm still undecided on the rear bumper. I'm a bit curious what it looks like on the ground.
    What about the rear has you undecided? I am just curious cuz if you bring up a good point, I can see about changing it up a bit or something. I am glad you like the sides/spats though...I was very torn/undecided how I was going to do them and if they would turn out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins89notch5.0 View Post
    damn, its like we got ourselves a 4 eyed version of Chip Foose.

So man, I'm loving it 100%!!!
    Thanks!!! I am also working on a few other ideas...I have been wanting to get a hood scoop, but I am such a cheap bastard that I can't bring myself to paying very much for it and I would like to play more of the 'built it myself' tune, that I may either build my own scoop, or make it 'cowl induction' style by cutting and welding. I suppose I could drop the center some and raise the rear like a SVO too. If anyone has a design/style that they think would work with the rest of it, let me know and I will see what I can do

I'm thinking that the lower line of the spat looks like it "drops" some. I think if you raise the last third so that it appears level with rocker, that will pretty much make the look- I think. It's alittle hard to visualize with it on jack stands. Set the car down on the ground and take a few pics. It may help some. Also I like the boxed ones you did right before these, if you took half the width out of those( make them hug the body more), they would look pretty good and could maybe make them look like you were ducting air at the brakes. Though these spats are real close to fitting too, I think you're real close with these last ones. Keep up the great work.

I think most of the 'drop' in the lower part is the angle of the pics and some is in the fact that they flare out a little bit. I will look at them again and perhaps tweak them a bit so they are more level with the rocker. These are very similar in design as the boxed ones, just that the rocker is curved (it was much easier for me to do them that way) and they are about half the distance from the body at the bottom as the boxy ones were. I think they were 3" and these are 1.5"ish. They are also open on the leading edge too. I will try to get it down to about ride height and get some pics for all to see. That will be a task though as it doesn't have an engine and the rear springs are NOT the right ones...they are out of the 95 I got the suspension/brakes out of and jack it up like a truck...and it is completely gutted so it really sits high. We will see what I can get done this week and keep the inputs coming!

FEP Senior Member

I think it is looking good but I would put a little radius on the spats in front of the rear tire. It looks a little odd just coming straight down. Just put a slight curve in the spat to follow the wheel opening. Otherwise it is looking good.

There is acually a curve to it, doesn't show it that well in the pics. I will see what I can do to make it more pronounced, perhaps take them closer to the tire at the bottom if I can.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast