Close

Default no exhaust manifold gasket??

So turbo 4's dont have an exhaust manifold to head gasket? Nothing?
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

gtluke

probably. i don't run anything on my 351 either. just some copper rtv
    cast manifolds don't need gaskets really

so just a thin layer of copper RTV and torque the bolts?

I'm putting my spare IHI on and decided to just switch the manifolds with the turbo attached so I dont have to deal with the evil nuts that attach the turbo to the manifold.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

No not even copper RTV. There is a gasket avaiable. But apparently its not as much of an issue. Only need the gasket between the turbo and the manifold.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Nothing? Just torque it down?

This goes against all laws of physics and nature.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

There are no laws when it comes to 2.3s

Nope, no gasket....and everyone I have ever heard of that used a gasket ended up with exhaust leaks. Just make sure both surfaces are clear and bolt it on....I've never had a leak yet
    My cars: Too many to list....I need shock therapy...

FEP Power Member

+1 for no gasket, assuming nothing is warped. Even then, just have it decked (or do the shade tree buzz-it-with-a-belt-sander decking)..
    Marc aka tripice351. 84.5 GT-350 2.3T.. and now, 1982 GL coupe.

FEP Senior Member loutheplumber's Avatar

well i have been told not to use a gasket but one came with my complete gasket kit so i used no leaks so far
    1985 Capri GS 2.3l turbo
    1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe now lives as power plant in 1990 Jeep Wrangler
    2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
    1959 Ford 871 Select-o-Speed
    "You Can Tell The Men From The Boys By The Price of Their Toys"

FEP Super Member

No gasket....every Ford I've ever taken apart , that hadn't been worked on in the past , had no gasket.
    I put the high temp on !
    the gasket between the turbo and the manifold is the wone that is always bad , cause the nuts come loose ....or fall off !
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

I use them all the time(felpro) with no leaks, and I have never heard of the "no gasket" thing.......hmmmmm. Good to know.

silversvo

Out of all the cars I have had, only two of them had gaskets on them. my original 84 SVo doesnt have one. I changed the manifold out on my 85 4E car and it happen to have one on it. I didnt put one back on it though and I havent had one single problem at all. I would have to say no gasket needed. You can put a gasket if you feel your manifold is warped, but you shouldnt need one....

I've never used a gasket and never will with an E6 (cast iron) manifold.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    No gasket....every Ford I've ever taken apart , that hadn't been worked on in the past , had no gasket.
    I put the high temp on !
    the gasket between the turbo and the manifold is the wone that is always bad , cause the nuts come loose ....or fall off !
    Turbo to manifold nuts come loose? I thought it's the opposite, usually have to use the jaws of life to get them off, if not cut them off?
    Marc aka tripice351. 84.5 GT-350 2.3T.. and now, 1982 GL coupe.

silversvo

I have never seen the nuts come off the turbo/manifold besides with an act of God and a big hammer.... I have seen the manifold to head bolts come loose before, but that is because someone didnt torque them down enough.

FEP Super Member

I guess you haven't had ove 2 dozen of these damn things ....the top rear nut seems to be a common missing part.
    And that is why the gasket between them is burned in half ....the only gasket in the set up .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by loutheplumber View Post
    well i have been told not to use a gasket but one came with my complete gasket kit so i used no leaks so far
    i usually use the gasket too with no problems but this time around i did and it leaks like a hose.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

silversvo

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    I guess you haven't had ove 2 dozen of these damn things ....the top rear nut seems to be a common missing part.
    And that is why the gasket between them is burned in half ....the only gasket in the set up .

I actually have had over two dozen turbo fords and I still never experienced that problem or had any cars missing that nut. I am sure I will run into one like that one day since I am still buying SVOs to restore.

FEP Member

I have never used a gasket with any E6s, and even with my ATR header, just made damn sure it was TOTALLY clean and debris/rust/grease,etc free, and wiped a circle of high temp silicone around each primary where they go between the manifold and head and bolted it together adn no leaks.
    1985 T Bird Turbo Coupe
    12.26 @ 113 MPH on old <small> turbo and head on 26 psi. Stock short block, 3.73s, T5, lots of bolt ons, A237, stock EEC. Now: BIG turbo, and new fully ported [by me] stock valve head. 11.50s spring for sure.
    84 SVO - $1400 in mods, 11.81@ 116 MPH, 1.58 60'. - back to stock, sold
    1989 S-10 - my DD

Quote Originally Posted by silversvo View Post
    I actually have had over two dozen turbo fords and I still never experienced that problem or had any cars missing that nut. I am sure I will run into one like that one day since I am still buying SVOs to restore.

HAHA!!! After trying to get the IHI off this E6 manifold I'm conviced that Jesus himself couldnt get them off. I'm getting ready to torch them off and then just replace the studs. (assuming I can get those out as well)
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

FEP Member

You CAN get them off but it's a nightmare if they are all rusted and heatcycled a billion times.
    1985 T Bird Turbo Coupe
    12.26 @ 113 MPH on old <small> turbo and head on 26 psi. Stock short block, 3.73s, T5, lots of bolt ons, A237, stock EEC. Now: BIG turbo, and new fully ported [by me] stock valve head. 11.50s spring for sure.
    84 SVO - $1400 in mods, 11.81@ 116 MPH, 1.58 60'. - back to stock, sold
    1989 S-10 - my DD

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    HAHA!!! After trying to get the IHI off this E6 manifold I'm conviced that Jesus himself couldnt get them off. I'm getting ready to torch them off and then just replace the studs. (assuming I can get those out as well)
    You can grind a box end wrench down to about half thickness to get into those hard places to break the nuts loose then use the open end to finish taking them off. Works pretty well for me.
    Kendal

I think I broke one or two as soon as I got them off...by broke I mean it split the nut in half!

silversvo

Mine came right off every turbo I have, I did the same thing Kendal did as I got the idea from him. Thanks Kendal.