Close

Thread: wiring issues

Default wiring issues

I recently replaced the voltage regulator on my 2.3 as it went south and didnt think much of it. Later that night I was tinkering with it getting ready for a night of racing and i smelled something burning and it turned out to be the regulator. wtf? It seems after testing that there is a 'short' in the red/green wire somewhere and when the car is shut off it is drawing current through the voltage regulator and shorting it out. Initially i thought it was fine while running but it is over charging and it got the battery so hot it boiled the acid in it

It seemed initially that it was my fan relay that was causing it as when i disconnected it it seemed fine. now im not so sure as its still doing it. Then this morning i went to go start it and bring it home and it cranks but doesnt start. everything turns on normally but nothing. i seem to be getting a very weak spark. I tried unplugging the regulator but to no avail. This damn car has had wiring issues since i bought it and im ready to rip it all out and just hook up what i need. Does anyone have any ideas?
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

well i got it started but the charging is still fubar and it misses and then backfires under boost. im thinking weak voltage from the coil.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection