Close

Default Proform electric fan wiring.

Some of you will think I am so stupid, but I have no ego so here goes:

I have a proform fan with the thermostat control. I do not plan to run a manual override switch. I do not have AC. All I want is the fan to come on when it gets hot. But, I have no instructions for it (believe it or not none came in the box). Here is my deal:
    *I have the thermostat sensor thingy in its housing/slot at the top so it rests against the radiator cooling fins. Should I put it inside the top hose with the coolant?
    * I have only two wires run and think I need a third (to the '+' spade). The wiring area (spades) looks like this

c___ m___ G___ +___
    B___

I have a hot to the 'B' spade a ground to the 'G' spade only.

Do I need a hot to the '+' spade also? Is this a relay for it and that's my prob? Car is dead at the moment (water in oil. I used a used rpm intake and it may have been slightly warped or something) so I can not run it to test it. I jumped the 'm' to ground and the fan works fine. I think the 'c' is A/C relay and the 'm' is for a manual overide switch.
    Thanks. Sorry if I am slow to respond. Dial up is a pain. Must get dsl...
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Ask yourself.....Is it any of my business?

I will check that out. Probably what I need, but my 'puter too slow at the moment and will not download the pdf file. At least in the 3 minutes I gave it.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post

I have a hot to the 'B' spade a ground to the 'G' spade only.

Do I need a hot to the '+' spade also? Is this a relay for it and that's my prob?
    Bingo.

I had my setup like this and just ran battery into the + spade. However this will cause the fan to run even when the car is off if it is hot. Look for a "hot while ignition on" wire to run to the + terminal. The B is the high current plug, + just powers the relay.
    Last edited by Eric86GT; 11-03-2006 at 01:30 AM.
    '86 GT 13.49 @ 104
    '83 Tbird TC 17.75 @ 78
    '05 Five Hundred AWD 16.95 @ 88

Nifty. One more wire then. 'preciate the inputs.

Watch that thing like a hawk, bud. I had a bad thermostat and/or CB and the thing would not come on when it was supposed to. It was a Proform, too. Almost overheated my car on a few occasions. I like my clutch fan just fine, thank you.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

I've got a brand new one in the box in the shed. i'll chek tomorrow and see if I saved the instructions. Mine ran way too hot so I switched back to the shroud and stock fan. maybe I'll try it again when I upgrade my alt to a 3g.