Close

FEP Power Member ScreeminChikin's Avatar

Default "CAT" on buck tag question

Just bought another Capri and it has the "CAT" designation on the buck tag. I was under the impression that meant it was a Crimson Cat but the car is an 82 and I didnt know there was one in 82. Anybody got any insight in this?
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5
    '90 Notchback 5.3LS\S480 Turbo\TH400

Well its black now but I cant swear that was the original color. If it was color changed they did a very good job of concealing any signs of a different color on the car. It does look like a couple of the black plastic pieces on the interior might have been red at one time but again I imagine they were probably not original to the car. Is there any other info on the buck tag to indicate it was a Black Magic?
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5

The word "cat" is your proof.

You have a black magic.

The door tag will have a special interior code for the interior trim. The exterior color will be there too.

The body tag will have the exterior color code on it and might have a clue as to the interior code.

What kind/color of seats are they?

-Mike

Unfortunately any signs that this car was once a black magic other than being black are long gone. It is a fairly heavily modified "pro street" car and I wouldnt have even suspected it as being anything special if I hadn't had seen that "CAT" stamp on there. I bought it as a roller with no seats but it had Kirky aluminum drag seats in it before so unfortunately the originals are history. It has the round RS badge on the passenger side dash and the 3 piece spoiler but I figured someone added that stuff and really I figured it probably started life as a 4cyl car. If it really is a Black Cat than I will have to try and give it back some of its former Cat glory.

Here is the buck tag. I appreciate anything you can tell me from this.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5

Dang, a Black Magic modified into an unrecognizable pro street car? What a bummer. I wish you good fortune it returning it to its former glory.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Quote Originally Posted by 75coug View Post
    Dang, a Black Magic modified into an unrecognizable pro street car? What a bummer. I wish you good fortune it returning it to its former glory.
    Ya, but its still a cool car and I guess that gives me a goal. The worst part is that it has an 86 mustang bumper cover and big ass cowl hood. I will of course re-capri it. Luckily it still has the capri fenders.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5

1CC = Black Exterior Paint

I think the "F" after "61D" means it was a 5.0 car.

Very few Black Magics were made (1379) and fewer were 5.0 versions. Seems like a good majority were 4cyl cars.

The car is probably one of less than a guess of 600-700 1982 Black Magics with a 5.0.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    1CC = Black Exterior Paint

I think the "F" after "61D" means it was a 5.0 car.

Very few Black Magics were made (1379) and fewer were 5.0 versions. Seems like a good majority were 4cyl cars.

The car is probably one of less than a guess of 600-700 1982 Black Magics with a 5.0.

-Mike
    Wow, thanks man. You are just a wealth of usefull information. Thats pretty cool even though it isnt original. So were the Black Magic cars still considered RS? I only ask because of that little RS emblem on the dash.
    '90 LX Sport 5.0\T5
    '90 GT 331\T5

Unknown really. They seemed to get the RS badge when they got the 5.0 engine. The literature says the RS option was supposed to be unavailable with the Black Magic option....but I have heard of several cars getting the dash badge (all 5.0 cars...I haven't seen it on a 4cyl Black Magic...remember even 4cyl Capris could have the RS option). It was probably an inconsistancy in the build instructions somewhere.

-Mike