Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Capri Diecast

Travis T

How is this project coming along?

I have taken pics of the car; before disassembly/ disassembled with all the parts that will need to be modified in some way.

I stripped all the paint off over the weekend & started to mark cut/modification lines onto the body & parts. The front end is gonna take some work, but I think the real brunt of the work is going to be the back bumper & hatch. I'll finish off this roll of film & get it processed & post pics...probably not until sometime this weekend though!! BTW..I have 4 hrs. into it already!!

You never stop amazing me Dave! That freakin rocks! Really some talent you have there. Let me know how the Capri thing goes, I have one from Burago (made in Italy). Its a 1:24 of a turbo RS, flat back. Its decast, really neat, everything opens (doors hood hatch), turns with steering wheel. In a near perfect box. I'm pretty proud of it. I think I got it on ebay for like 30 bucks including shipping. Anyway, if you need it for referance or something, just give me a call. Once again, awesome work!
    "Swaddled in a silent, climate-controlled cocoon of leather, modern drivers are subjected to what could only be charitably called a rubber room."

-1983 RS Capri:302,demon,blower,baer,svo,3:73,viper 6 spd,Trickflow,Eibach,BBK,borla, msd,autometer,ect.
    -1980 RS Capri: $300 junkyard find, aka: Project Resurection
    -1995 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC: Daily Driver
    -2007 GT: alloy metallic, 4.6, motorsport 2.3 supercharger, 3:73 gears, 20" shelby wheels, borla exhaust, cervinis functional ram air hood, side scoops, dyno 475 to the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by DVSCAPRI View Post
    I'll finish off this roll of film & get it processed & post pics...probably not until sometime this weekend though!! BTW..I have 4 hrs. into it already!!

Film? They still make that, let alone develop it?

JK, Post pics asap!!!
    Last edited by Kyle; 12-06-2006 at 07:49 PM.
    Kyle
    1986 ascMclaren #105, grey w/ black stripes 1 of 1
    2000 Ranger 4x4 Off Road 4.0L
    2000 Camry V-6 5 speed manual
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiesaysrelax View Post
    Sounds like you might have made them make brown rice in their underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Film? They still make that, let alone develop it?

JK, Post pics asap!!!
    Yeah,yeah... In the process of getting a digi. I have some serious money wrapped up in a SLR & love using it. I also like to keep GOOD printed pics for my albums, so when I get the film developed I get a disc made at the same time.

Tonights update on the car ; I spent about 3 hrs. >>> cut the end of the front fenders square/cut out the Mustang "grille" area/cut out the lower bumper verticle strakes/cut out the "decklid" part of the hatch. My ears were ringing pretty good from the Dremel & cut off wheel!!

I had to stop after that as I had to work on a customer car... I primed & color "jambed" (inside of doors/complete underside of body) a '70 chevelle...

OK, so how much would it cost someone to have you make a Capri like thiers? LOL
    "Swaddled in a silent, climate-controlled cocoon of leather, modern drivers are subjected to what could only be charitably called a rubber room."

-1983 RS Capri:302,demon,blower,baer,svo,3:73,viper 6 spd,Trickflow,Eibach,BBK,borla, msd,autometer,ect.
    -2007 GT: alloy metallic, 4.6, motorsport 2.3 supercharger, 3:73 gears, 20" shelby wheels, borla exhaust, cervinis functional ram air hood, side scoops, dyno 475 to the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Loco_Chick_Blown_83_Capri View Post
    OK, so how much would it cost someone to have you make a Capri like thiers? LOL
    I'm gonna have to see how long (time) it takes to make the needed modifications.

On that note... here are the pictures so far. Not alot evident just yet.

This is the starting point...GMP Twister II in Red

Disassembled, These are all the pieces/parts that need modification.

The nose piece; will have the grille area removed & angle part of the corners cut.

The hatch; will be cut out (flat part), then built up (more contour) for the bubble.

All of these moldings/sail panels & headlight buckets get modified (at least they're plastic).

Cowl panel; will have to be filed down to the correct width.

Rear bumper; I think this will take the most work of all!!

Here are some pics of the car stripped and some of the cut work done.

The hatch (rough cut at this point)

The front bumper; corners have been cut - NO filler for the side markers yet.
    grille area has been cut / ground down (I'll make the 3 bar grille from plastic).
    I also cut out the lower radiator intake area so it's not visible through the air
    dam. I may have to cut out the driving light area as well.

Thats where it stands right now...I'll get back to it as time permits & update
    as I can with pics. The next couple of weeks are busy for me...I have Xmas
    at Grandma's next sat. 12/16 and things are busy around here w/relatives
    starting tommorrow!!

Travis T

As a model builder, I know you've got your work cut out for you. I'm sure it will turn out well. I've got all the parts to build a 1/24 scale version of my 84 GT, but I really hate to part the 79 Cobra, 83 convertible, and 86 SVO kits to do it, since they're all pretty rare. I'd never dream of doing it in diecast though. I'm very interested to see how this one turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    As a model builder, I know you've got your work cut out for you. I'm sure it will turn out well. I've got all the parts to build a 1/24 scale version of my 84 GT, but I really hate to part the 79 Cobra, 83 convertible, and 86 SVO kits to do it, since they're all pretty rare. I'd never dream of doing it in diecast though. I'm very interested to see how this one turns out!
    Travis, I understand the kitbashing dilemma (sp?). MPC made an 84 Mustang kit that I don't think is too hard to find. I have one that I was going to use to turn into an 85 at one point, but I may just scrap that idea...LMK if you cant find one, I may part with mine.

I originally started the re-paints of the diecast (years ago) because I wanted to get into the laquer paints (1000's more choices) & thought it wouldn't eat up as much time as some of my plastic work!! Well, I just couldn't leave well enough alone & it took on a life of its own!!

I don't know if I've said here or not but I also have over 300 unbuilt plastic kits as well as my diecast junkyard. When I moved in my room mate was helping me unload my Suburban (that was filled) with all my model kits!! He was in shock to see how many I had! My daughters still build as well, my 18 y.o. was over on saturday with her new b.f. and they spent a couple of hrs. at my bench building...It was cool to see...he's a car guy!!! The last guy was a tool, all he was interested in was soccer 24/7.

Too bad it wasn't this "easy" (I know its not easy at all, but easier...) to do this to a real car. I've often wished that I could just snap my fingers and make my models real. Then I could drive them around and when I'm done, just snap my fingers again, and bring them in the house and put them up on the shelf until the next day!

Awesome work Dave! Can't wait to see it when it's done. How are you going to do the bubble?

Default is he a butcher for cutting up a good 4-eyed mustang

this thread needs to be locked turning a mustang into a carpi how dare you
    I could have used that gt front end on my project

hahahaah just kidding nice work

Quote Originally Posted by Loco_Chick_Blown_83_Capri View Post
    Too bad it wasn't this "easy" (I know its not easy at all, but easier...) to do this to a real car. I've often wished that I could just snap my fingers and make my models real. Then I could drive them around and when I'm done, just snap my fingers again, and bring them in the house and put them up on the shelf until the next day!

Awesome work Dave! Can't wait to see it when it's done. How are you going to do the bubble?
    Ancient Chinese Secret...J/K, I'll build up the sides/bottom of the hatch & then vacuform the glass. I don't think I'll be able to get the defroster grids in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dilling View Post
    this thread needs to be locked turning a mustang into a carpi how dare you
    I could have used that gt front end on my project
    So buy one from GMP...$100 is cheap for an 85 - 86 nose J/K
    besides I don't mind turning the tides (turning a Mustang into a Capri), it's about time someone did the reverse of the usual abomination.

Pretty cool stuff.

What do you do to "chrome" things like bumpers or the like?

-Mike

Depends on the size of the piece...roof rails/chrome trim pieces I use a foil type sheet that has adhesive on the back, large bumpers or something like the sidepipes on the Cobra I use a paint called Alclad>>goes on after a gloss black enamel paint. Works pretty good for the larger things, but can be tricky to work with.

How would you do the "MERCURY" on the front grill tag?

Foil/AlCad? Would you clear the foil to give it some durability?

-Mike

Default I think I would have to buy to cars to get parts I need

Do they make a 86 vet ? I found a 92 vet ? how is nose held on ?

Very neat Dave!

Travis T

That Bare Metal Foil is a PITA, but looks nice. I've never tried that Alcad paint but wanted to, got any good pictures of how it looks on something?

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    How would you do the "MERCURY" on the front grill tag?

Foil/AlCad? Would you clear the foil to give it some durability?

-Mike
    Probably foil it then trim around with "Black Chrome Trim" paint

Quote Originally Posted by dilling View Post
    Do they make a 86 vet ? I found a 92 vet ? how is nose held on ?
    I would have to check as for the 86, I don't know I haven't built one.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    That Bare Metal Foil is a PITA, but looks nice. I've never tried that Alcad paint but wanted to, got any good pictures of how it looks on something?
    I've never had a problem with it, but there are a few secrets to it. For starters don't get the "bright" chrome...its junk & rips very easily, just get the regular "chrome" trim. I install all pieces in a "waterfall" series...ie: lowest piece goes on first, overlayed by the upper piece (just like on the real cars). Also I use Q-tips to burnish it on.

Alclad; I know the wheels & sidepipes were done with Alclad on this Cobra, I just don't remember if I used the Chrome or the Polished Aluminum on it.

In case you're wondering about the rims: the outers are Aluminum, the centers are resin (cut down & modified)

Hey, I see the pic of the Cobra in the picture ....or is it a COBRETTE???? Yhe Cobra body made to fit over an existing Corvette chassis? In the photo the body looks slightly longer? Let me know because my best friend Chris Wilkins who I work with on many projects is the creator of the Cobrette and did all the original molds and prototyping as well as still currently owns the business.

J
    John McBride

Midnite Octane - "Fuel Your Imagination!"
    www.midniteoctane.com

I'm guessing you're talking about the Viper Blue & white Cobra kit car?? I don't remember what the chassis was. I know it was a kit car that he looked for a long time - he was approx. 6'6'' , so there's NO way he'd fit in a regular one. I just wish his bodyshop had done the stripes correctly... they were a real pain to duplicate on the front end!!
    Dave
    1985 Mercury Capri RS - '02 Sonic Blue -PROJECT
    1985 Ford LTD LX - Grey 5 SPD/8.8 3:73

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass (442 clone) - Grey SOLD
    1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham T-top - W/'69 350 ROCKET/T350 - White SOLD
    1978 Pontiac Trans Am - Martinique Blue SOLD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast