Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Don't you just love it when people willing to help take on the roll of a detective!

When I looked at the car it had an engine in the engine bay which was a V6. I hadn't noticed it sitting up at the front then, only in those photos. It didn't have any inlet manifold on it and so I don't know whether it's carb or fuel injected. When I did look at it the guy selling wasn't there and so I just poked around it and then left. The guy has since gone on business to Tasmania and just rang me as a matter of fact to say he wouldn't be back until November 3, after I left him a message.

So, along with my growing list of questions I'll add more. To be honest, I'm not really fussed about the V6 or not, I mainly want it to be converted to RHD properly so that I can have it registered and street legal, that is assuming that I'm going to buy it! It could stay as a V6 or be changed into a 3.9 or 4 litre in-line 6 or even a 5.0 litre V8, I'll have to get it first and then decide.

Any further comments, questions, etc would be appreciated as I'm going in cold not knowing a damn thing about these little babies, except to say that I want one! I do have a Haynes V6/V8 workshop manual and a number of original sales catalogues to go by at present.

In another development, the local Victorian State branch of the Mustang Owners Club are holding there annual Round-up nearby on October 22. So, guess where I'll be and what I'll be doing. I do remember last years event had 3 Fox Mustangs, a White GT, a 79 Indy pace car and another one that escapes me at present. so maybe I'll get lucky and find out some more clues.

Cheers everyone, I'll keep you posted,

Terry
    aka Terry M Walsh
    Downunder in Melbourne, Australia

1981 Mercury Capri, 'White' Black Magic, 200-2V/C4
    1983 Ford Capri, 2.8i, 5-spd

Yeah....I wonder if that picture was taken when the car didn't have an engine in it....it sits WAY high.

-Mike

I find a large portion of the "fun" of owning these cars is "figuring them out". There were so many variations from the factory. Add to that the changes made by previous owners over 20+ years and you need to be part detective to understand exactly what it is you're looking at. I think negusm has been having fun figuring out turn signal stalks.

Any way you look at it, having a white Black Magic would be neat. Figuring out just what you have there and what prior owner modifications have been done might just give you a little barganing power when it comes time to make the deal.
    NASA Rocky Mountain
    HPDE Group Leader and CMC Racer

Not sure what's going on with the VIN in the first post of this thread but it doesn't jive.

The actual VIN for 1981 Capri consecutive unit number 629453, built at Dearborn Assembly, is 1MEBP67A7BF629453.

1ME = Mercury vehicle manufactured in USA
    B = manual seatbelts, no airbags
    P = passenger car
    67 = Capri base model hatchback
    A = 2.3L I-4 engine
    7 = VIN check digit
    B = 1981 model year
    F = Dearborn Assembly
    629453 = consecutive unit number

Sounds like a nice shell get it, and put the right stuff back in it. Nice choice

Zombie thread!
    1984 Ford Thunderbird Élan

thats a stink. I hope you get a chance to own it. good luck. I didnt get to see pics due to the links both expired.
    "Never Trust a Bunny!"

The Great Sir Twitch

MERCURYS is what I'm bout. MERCURY CrAzY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12