Close

Thread: 1979 Capri Ghia

Default 1979 Capri Ghia

Hi to all from High Ridge, Mo-

Well after @150 manhours of dedicated resto my 79 is going to paint tommorrow!! Here is a list of whats been done:

New Carb, C4, Alternator, Battery, Water Pump, Belts/Hoses/Plugs/Wires, Voltage Regulator, Temp Gauge, Brakes/Lines/Hoses, Exhaust, Tires/Wheels, Stereo/Speakers, Saleen Wing, Police Interceptor Floor Plates, Dash Pad, Door Pins/Bushings, Carpet, Tie Rod Ends, Door Handles, Window Trim Surrounds.

When I stripped the car down I was shocked to find only 4 quarter sized spots of corrosion, all surface, The car was from Arizona, she has 96K miles and runs like never before!! Drives 70+ smooth as silk & stops very well.

It was a brown/copper metallic with dark red (firethorne?) & brown leather interior. Now she will be PPG Gloss Black w/ Flat Black trim , wing & hood center with 88 turbines.

I will attempt to post before/after pix when paint is completed late next week,Please offer any suggestions
    1986 ASC McLaren EuroCoupe #19 of 47
    1979 Mercury Capri Ghia 302/C4

So, I guess this means that you're keeping the Ghia???

Default 79 Ghia

I have not decided quite yet. The McLaren is currently in storage/consignment. I got laid off for a few weeks and am using the time to finish the Ghia. If the layoff lasts longer than 1 month, she may have to go.
    I considered putting a fuel injected drivetrain in her, but elected to stay relatively stock.

So how is your Capri coming along? Is it in paint yet? We will have to swap pix upon completion.

No paint yet, still enjoying the summer/fall shows with it. We've decided to get a warehouse space just for the cars. There just isn't enough room at the house to do the things Paul & I want to do to the cars. I am lining up parts for the winter project(s) to the Capri though! I plan on changing the dash to Mike Croke's aluminum piece w/ autometer cobalt guages, swapping to 5 lug, pulling the drivers fender off & getting paint matched, & doing the hood as well. I bought a Capri specific Turbo hood scoop for it, but haven't decided if I'm just doing it as a bolt on or getting a fiberglass mold of the stock hood & scoop made for the car. Either way that will need paint too!! As for total repaint..I'll wait at least another year, probably longer to strip it completely to do it right.

I want to see pics of this 79 Ghia. A little while ago I put a thread up asking if anyone had one... I had a 79 V-6 years ago. I want to see if the interior is like the one I had with the low inside door handle, horn on the turn signal, etc. No one responded to my thread so I didn't think anyone on this site had one... get pics up asap, please.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

I will try to post pix, had trouble last time (format too large), but yes it has all the features you describe, interior is Medium Red w/ Med Brown Leather seating. I just dropped it off at the paint shop, should be done in 7-10 days. If my pix wont post, send me your e-mail address & I will send them direct.

Jim

DVS Capri,
    Sounds like a killer package planned, please keep me posted. Just delivered the 79 to paint today, now I'm itchy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangjim View Post
    DVS Capri,
    Sounds like a killer package planned, please keep me posted. Just delivered the 79 to paint today, now I'm itchy!!!
    Understandably, the car is torn apart & somewhere else where you can't even see it!! I'm looking forward to the warehouse!! Lots of room!! I know Paul wants to redo his 90 SSP notch - BAD. He had the motor out last fall & I kept bugging him to re-do the eng. compartment. We're going to have alot to talk about/look at come WFC10 next spring!!! We'll have to get together when we're down there!!