Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare 86Gt? help

Travis T

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Looks like a (non-model-specific) '84-'86 cruise steering wheel to me. My '86 GT has the same wheel.

That is the 85-86 cruise wheel for all Mustangs.

FEP Power Member

my 86 had charcoal window trim also...now to really confuse the issue Mike, the LX had the GT quarter trim on the drivers side....
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

The guy probably got that lighter doohicky the same place he got his shorty shifter. Those lighters are standard and that thing could have come from anywhere.

The interior is completely LX from what I can see. I think Foxchassis is mistaken on the door panels. They did have different "hockey stick" inser trim for 1984...but I think for 85-86 they were all the same no matter GT or LX.

-Mike
    Last edited by negusm; 09-21-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Oh WAIT! Yes, HATCHES (even LXs) got Charcoal Trim. While the notches did not. I rememeber that now I think. SO you can't go by trim.

-Mike

What trim are you talking about?
    Black or grey? On the inside or out of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by Pony88 View Post
    What trim are you talking about?
    Black or grey? On the inside or out of the car?
    Exterior trim, around the windows.

For 85-86 at least I believe the trim on all hatchbacks (GT or LX) were painted grey.

-Mike

I just redone the trim on the outside yesterday (black) the trim that goes around all windows

trim did look grey. But some parts looked a little black. I Think it was factory black but faded grey.

I'll just throw this in as food for thought. Before I bought my '86 GT, I looked at another one for sale. It was being listed as a GT, had all the GT exterior pieces and decals (silver w/black decals), but did have a blue "LX" interior similar to the above, except that it had the GT dash and glove box trim. I don't recall seeing the buck tag when I looked under the hood (or else I'm sure I would have looked at it). I asked the guy if it was a real GT, he said yes. I assumed he was lying or just didn't know, and didn't give it much thought until I read this.

Take it for what it's worth. Obviously the GT pieces could've been swapped in really easily...then again who knows...I've seen factory original late sixties Mustangs with mis-matched shock towers, so I wouldn't put it past Ford to make a GT (or 2) with blue LX interiors, either intentionally or unintentionally.
    Thanks,
    Mike

'85 Mustang GT t-top (sold-damn HOA)
    '86 Mustang GT hatchback (sold)
    '67 Mustang convertible

Gt dash and glove box?

trim did look grey. But some parts looked a little black. I Think it was factory black but faded grey.

Most people think that. But it's called Charcoal Grey. It may have been faded Charcoal Grey though.

-Mike

Gt dash and glove box?
    Yes. Your car has the LX dash bezels. These bezels cover the gauge cluster and the area above the glove box.

GTs got grey and black bezels with fake allen head screws:
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...rochure_08.jpg

You have the LX "checkerboard" one in yours.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mustangmike View Post
    I'll just throw this in as food for thought. Before I bought my '86 GT, I looked at another one for sale. It was being listed as a GT, had all the GT exterior pieces and decals (silver w/black decals), but did have a blue "LX" interior similar to the above, except that it had the GT dash and glove box trim. I don't recall seeing the buck tag when I looked under the hood (or else I'm sure I would have looked at it). I asked the guy if it was a real GT, he said yes. I assumed he was lying or just didn't know, and didn't give it much thought until I read this.

Take it for what it's worth. Obviously the GT pieces could've been swapped in really easily...then again who knows...I've seen factory original late sixties Mustangs with mis-matched shock towers, so I wouldn't put it past Ford to make a GT (or 2) with blue LX interiors, either intentionally or unintentionally.
    And this is why we keep asking questions and should dismiss it so quickly.

I can imagine that some people wanted the GT with the blue interior and maybe there was actually a way to make it happen. Maybe trying to order a dark blue special order required a blue interior. Order an LX color on a GT and you get LX interior.

Odd things like that happened like that on the asc coupes. asc had to order GS cars to get the GS color and then had to have a bunch of overrides to get the correct interior....and even then, the power window bezles got mismatched much of the time.

-Mike

Sorry guys my camera/phone sucks.
    I'll try to get better pics of codes.

Sorry guys my camera/phone sucks.
    I'll try to get better pics of codes.
    Or just write them down if you can.

-Mike

I'm gonna go out on a limb here based on the photo of the GT side moulding. This car is an imposter. Those mouldings were obviously peeled off a GT and added to this car later and are even a shade off from the door moulding. They are most likely a shade off because the car they came off of were exposed to different atmospheric conditions. The only thing that doesn make this statement 100 percent fact is the car having the foglight plugs. Is there a foglight switch under the dash?
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

The moldings don't match in color cause some one painted the moldings and most of the paint is peeling.
    it does have a foglight housing by the knee, but switch is broken and half missing.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    but I think for 85-86 they were all the same no matter GT or LX.

-Mike
    they are
    down to two eyes

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sellis1012 View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here based on the photo of the GT side moulding. This car is an imposter. Those mouldings were obviously peeled off a GT and added to this car later and are even a shade off from the door moulding. They are most likely a shade off because the car they came off of were exposed to different atmospheric conditions. The only thing that doesn make this statement 100 percent fact is the car having the foglight plugs. Is there a foglight switch under the dash?
    my LX has those plugs too! I know that my 86 is an LX, I am the second owner, same family
    down to two eyes

This car looks very close to my 86 lx. Same steering wheel, same door panels, same dash bezels, and so on etc,etc......

The moldings don't match in color cause some one painted the moldings and most of the paint is peeling.
    it does have a foglight housing by the knee, but switch is broken and half missing.
    It's a mystery. Maybe not the rarest, but one of the wierdest. The bucktag is the only hope. But if it was in a frontal, that may be gone.

FEP Member

Looks like a LX to me. But, who cares, its a nice looking 4eye that someone dressed up. Its not like your trying to prove its a Van Gogh or something.

I say detail it out and enjoy it.
    ...That.. that doesn't work for me. I gotta have more cowbell!...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardking View Post
    Looks like a LX to me. But, who cares, its a nice looking 4eye that someone dressed up. Its not like your trying to prove its a Van Gogh or something.

I say detail it out and enjoy it.
    Van who? Never heard of that Mustang edition. Is that like a Saleen or Roush? Probably not worth much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast