Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare 86Gt? help

my email: negusm@gmail.com

I'll be happy to post them up on the site for you.

-Mike

Email sent.
    Here's pics before I got it...

http://www.okdhm.com/forums/attachme...8&d=1155936340

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pony88 View Post
    Email sent.
    Here's pics before I got it...

http://www.okdhm.com/forums/attachme...8&d=1155936340

The server our website is hosted on experienced a hard drive crash, in the process of the datacenter trying to recover the data, they fried the backup drive. Everyone must re-register their usernames. It will be a few days before we get everything back to normal.

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
    You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

I registered but was unable to access that page. You can save them locally on your PC and then email them to me and I can put them with the others.

-Mike

I'll get interior and engine pics today if it isn't raining to bad

If that is a "GT" somebody went through a lot trouble to put L/LX specific parts all over the outside and inside of the car.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

gtluke

well same goes the other way kinda
    but the hatch decal and side mouldings fill the part, but the no hood stripe, lx front bumper, and lx seats don't.

As stated the front was hit, and I'm sure the lx was a lot more easy to find, cause it still has the foglight wiring hanging.
    Also yes doesn't have the hood gt decal because it was repainted at one point.
    And as far as the seats, those a factory. if ford didn't make blue sport seats, then what else would they use for blue interior?

Besides the seats & interior color, the PW & PL bezels are chrome. That was an LX specific feature. Again, unless it was changed by the previous owner. My guess is that someone added the "GT" side mouldings and the hatch decal. Notice that it is in the wrong place. The "MUSTANG" emblem on the right side is LX specific and could have been moved there when the GT decal was added. Plus, it has a pin stripe, which is LX specific too.

My guess is that it really is an LX. Only the buck tag will tell!

Thats the near exact interior I have in my 86 LX Coupe 4 banger. Only difference being the power windows, console, and steering wheel. My driver seat is even worn in the same place
    No matter where you go, there you are

Yeah, the chrome interior bezels, the lx seats and blue color just don't add up for a GT. Can you get a good shot of the dash? And a shot of the foglight switch on the interior?

I also really think you need to take a snapshot of the door tag and body tag and see what's up.

BTW, the "GT" on your title is probably only there because it is a 5.0 car. The vin does not denote whether the car is a GT or LX...it just has the engine code (which could be had by both). The insurance companies and DMVs and Carfax just slap on whatever name they need to. Being a 5.0, it is closer to a GT in the eyes of the DMV or Insurance companies than an LX would be. We do see many mislabeld titles show up.

On the early 85 Capris the interior code sometimes has a third character. This denotes that the interior has hold-over interior pieces from 1984. Maybe something similar is likely?

The foglight wiring is a bit of a head scratcher. Can you get a picture of that? Most people if they do swap GT parts onto an LX, don't do a very good job at getting the fog lights hooked up....or neglect adding them at all.

-Mike

The chrome bezels were replaced, I think.
    I have the black ones in the glove box.
    the seats are mainly worn in the same spot like all mustang seats, I have a few pairs torn in the same spot

So what do you guys think? Lx or GT?
    At this point I'm lost.

The chrome bezels were replaced, I think.
    I have the black ones in the glove box.
    the seats are mainly worn in the same spot like all mustang seats, I have a few pairs torn in the same spot

So what do you guys think? Lx or GT?
    At this point I'm lost.
    We need codes.

Some more things to look into:

Headlight switch. Pull it out of the dash. There are two kinds. One that has connectors that go to the foglight wiring (for GTs) and one that does not have a provision for those connectors (LX). Which one is it? Somebody putting in foglights into a GT, may not move all the needed parts over to do the swap right.

Location of the Foglight Switch. People don't seem to get those put in the right spot either.

Remove the foglight switch. Do the holes in the dash look to not be factory?

Look at the foglight harness at the front of the car. Does it look factory? Is it spliced in or connected in with factory connectors?

-Mike

If that hatch decal was correct, the hatch wouldn't also have a "MUSTANG" emblem on the other side. That emblem is a LX and SVO only piece. And it's on the wrong side regardless. That side should have a Ford blue oval instead.

The power window/lock and inner door handle cups are chrome-plated, as is the trim that goes down and across the door panel (above the armrest). All those pieces in a GTs should be black.

The dash trim/bezels don't have faux aluminum panels w/ allen-head screws like all GTs should. The drivers side looks like it's plain black (or black w/ a pattern would be correct for an LX). The passenger side is the same color as the rest of the dash and interior, which is correct for an LX.

The seats are standard LX-only low-back buckets. All GTs should have had (Lear Siegler) Articulated Sport seating, which weren't available in blue. Also, I see the same pattern on the rear seat.

EDIT: Most of what I said was stated just above, before me. Tha's what happens when you have twin todlers to take care of .
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-21-2006 at 10:47 AM.

FEP Power Member

Foxy...you are slipping! you missed the LX steering wheel!
    down to two eyes

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue86 View Post
    Besides the seats & interior color, the PW & PL bezels are chrome. That was an LX specific feature. Again, unless it was changed by the previous owner. My guess is that someone added the "GT" side mouldings and the hatch decal. Notice that it is in the wrong place. The "MUSTANG" emblem on the right side is LX specific and could have been moved there when the GT decal was added. Plus, it has a pin stripe, which is LX specific too.

My guess is that it really is an LX. Only the buck tag will tell!
    actually, I have seen a few
    (like 3) factory paint GT's with the pin stripes...my guess, dealer installed
    down to two eyes

Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    Foxy...you are slipping! you missed the LX steering wheel!
    Looks like a (non-model-specific) '84-'86 cruise steering wheel to me. My '86 GT has the same wheel.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Hold on guys, I'll snap some more pics.

FEP Power Member

As stated the front was hit, and I'm sure the lx was a lot more easy to find, cause it still has the foglight wiring hanging.
    My documented LX has GT fog lamp wiring hanging....all 5.0's have the wiring, just not the lamps
    down to two eyes

Quote Originally Posted by twister View Post
    My documented LX has GT fog lamp wiring hanging....all 5.0's have the wiring, just not the lamps
    Oh, now that would confuse things wouldn't it.

Is this the harness for the lamps (runs the length of the radiator support) that you are talking about or the pigtails from the main harness?

-Mike

Should just be the pigtails. The foglight (only) harness shouldn't have been installed on LXes.

My foglight wiring has pig tails that look like they plug right to the foglight its self.
    There oem looking also, not home made.
    Also the trim on the doors is black not chrome.
    Could some one tell me if ford made a lighter dalete? Mine has plate with little knob thing. Looks oem. Never seen that before.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast