Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare 86Gt? help

Default Rare 86Gt? help

Hey guys,
    Just picked up an 86gt, it doesn't have sunroof or ttops like most guys wish.
    But its odd packaged to me,....

Paint color: 7b
    Interior: regatta blue? Non-recaros
    Build date: 7/86

It's this a very late 86?
    Also isn't this an htf color?
    And I'm guessing it doesn't have recaros because of the blue interior? Ford didn't make blue sport seats did they? (Only t-birds in the late 80's had blue sport seats right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Pony88 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just picked up an 86gt, it doesn't have sunroof or ttops like most guys wish.
    But its odd packaged to me,....

Paint color: 7b
    Interior: regatta blue? Non-recaros
    Build date: 7/86

It's this a very late 86?
    Also isn't this an htf color?
    And I'm guessing it doesn't have recaros because of the blue interior? Ford didn't make blue sport seats did they? (Only t-birds in the late 80's had blue sport seats right?)

How do you know it is a GT?

Sounds like an LX 5.0.

-Mike

FEP Power Member

get me a picture of the interrior
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

Blue was not an available color in '84-'86 GTs. Blue = L ('84) or LX ('84-'86) only.

Not to be nit-picky but Mustangs after '82 did not have "Recaro" seating. The '83 models had (optional) "Sport Performance" seating (made by ?) and '84 G.T.350s and SVOs (and only G.T.350s and SVOs, not L, LX, or GT) and '85+ LXes (conv. only), GTs, and SVOs, had (standard GT, optional LX) "Articulated Sport" seating (made by Lear Siegler).

The Recaro seating was indeed available in Blue ('79/'80) and Wedgewood Blue ('81/'82) and the Sport Performance seating was available in Academy Blue. The Articulated Sport Performance seating was not though. Only Canyon Red ('84 G.T.350, '86 GT), Charcoal ('84-'86 SVO, '85-'86 GT), Sand Beige ('85-'86 GT), and White ('85-'86 conv. only).
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-19-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

gtluke

yeah sounds like a 5.0lx
    which actually is probably minorly rare. you hardly ever see 86's in 5.0 lx trim.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtluke View Post
    yeah sounds like a 5.0lx
    which actually is probably minorly rare. you hardly ever see 86's in 5.0 lx trim.
    lol, I see one daily
    down to two eyes

gtluke

>:(

Guys, my title says its a Gt
    My car says GT.
    And has gt everything. And yes it is factory ford blue color, it was repainted at one point. But it is factory color.
    My bud in high school had the same car, factory Gt blue w/ blue interior.
    I can send pics if needed.

Alright, post all the codes from the Vehicle Certification Label ("door sticker/tag") AND the Body/Buck Tag (attahced to radiator frame, behind driver side inner headlight). If it's a GT and the original color was/is blue, it'll be the first in existance.

There were absolutely NO 86 "GT's" with a blue interior. Only the 86 "LX" had a blue interior. The only blue exterior on 86 GT's was -3J- Light Regatta Blue (look in my album).

Someone probably installed a GT front facia with foglamps and also put GT mouldings on the side. Does your car have factory fog lamps & GT mouldings?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some 1986 Mustang production figures I compiled recently:

TOTAL 1986 MUSTANG PRODUCTION--------224,410
    TOTAL NON-5.0 PRODUCTION (2.3 & 3.8 )---167,304 (including SVO)

TOTAL 5.0 PRODUCTION--------------------57,106

TOTAL GT PRODUCTION--------------------50,465
    TOTAL LX 5.0 PRODUCTION----------------- 6,641

TOTAL GT HATCHBACK---------------------40,578
    TOTAL LX 5.0 HATCHBACK-------------------2,438

TOTAL GT CONVERTABLE------------------- 9,887
    TOTAL LX 5.0 CONVERTABLE----------------1,378

TOTAL LX 5.0 COUPE------------------------2,825

TOTAL SVO PRODUCTION--------------------3,379
    ---------------------------------------------------

Out of 2,438 LX 5.0 hatchbacks produced, 244 were -7B-Shadow Blue

Hope this helps!

Please post some pics of your car!

-Bill
    Last edited by Blue86; 09-19-2006 at 05:54 PM.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Wow Bill! You're a plethora of information kinda guy.....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue86 View Post
    There were absolutely NO 86 "GT's" with a blue interior. Only the 86 LX had blue interior.

Two things could have happened:

1. Someone took the time to swap the original grey interior with a blue one. If indeed your car is a 3J- Light Regatta Blue, it would have come with a grey interior and grey articulated sport seats with red piping and halo head rests.

2. Someone installed a GT front facia with foglamps and also put GT mouldings on the side. Does your car have factory fog lamps?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some 1986 Mustang production figures I compiled recently:

TOTAL 1986 MUSTANG PRODUCTION--------224,410
    TOTAL NON-5.0 PRODUCTION (2.3 & 3.8 )---167,304 -(including SVO)

TOTAL 5.0 PRODUCTION--------------------57,106

TOTAL GT PRODUCTION--------------------50,465
    TOTAL LX 5.0 PRODUCTION----------------- 6,641

TOTAL GT HATCHBACK---------------------40,578
    TOTAL LX 5.0 HATCHBACK-------------------2,438

TOTAL GT CONVERTABLE------------------- 9,887
    TOTAL LX 5.0 CONVERTABLE----------------1,378

TOTAL LX 5.0 COUPE------------------------2,825

TOTAL SVO PRODUCTION--------------------3,379
    ---------------------------------------------------

Out of 43,016 5.0 hatchbacks produced, 2,408 were -3J-Light Regatta Blue.
    I don't have the break-down of how many were GT's and how many were LX.

Hope this helps!

-Bill
    those numbers look like what I came up with a few years ago
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...+production+lx
    Last edited by twister; 09-19-2006 at 05:56 PM.
    down to two eyes

Wow, you want me to post all the vin numbers and buck tag numbers? No thanks. I know what I have, I've owned over 15+ mustangs. And yes it is factory (7b) shadow blue. 244 made. Look it up.
    And far as the blue interior, like I said I've never seen blue sport seats 85-93.

Wow, you want me to post all the vin numbers and buck tag numbers? No thanks. I know what I have, I've owned over 15+ mustangs. And yes it is factory (7b) shadow blue. 244 made. Look it up.
    And far as the blue interior, like I said I've never seen blue sport seats 85-93.
    Could you please post some pics?

Simply look on the radiator buck tag. If it says "GT" then it's a GT and an extremely odd one at that. That is the ONLY way to tell for sure. People swap so many parts on and off from these cars that you can be sure that any of it wasn't added.

We have seen Capris completely converted to 1993 Mustangs....in every little detail. There is great probability something similar has happened to your car.

-Mike

I'll take a look tuesday.
    But yes I do know guys swap these parts.
    This car does have an lx front bumper (w/o foglights holes) it does show signs of been hit in front. So I'm sure it was replaced with a easyer to find lx bumper.

I did notice it has the foglight wires and plugs still hanging. Also on the decal under the hood says 5.0L
    Any other places to look, besides the buck tag?
    Also, I notice the trim (around the headlights and the trim going around the car) is a grey color, not black like most I've seen. Seems to be a factory 5speed also. 95k miles, with pretty much every mod you can do to a SD engine.
    I'll be sure and check that tag.
    Thanks

FEP Power Member

There was a blue 7b convertible at car shows in Huntsville Alabama and at Nashville last week. It was a LX 5.0 5 speed with blue interior. Just thought I would throw this in (I looked at the door sticker and by the way it was a 89 dso). Not a gt but interesting anyway.
    Kendal

Sorry guys, I can't post pics, I use my phone for internet, but I can email pics and some one could post em.

I'll take a look tuesday.
    But yes I do know guys swap these parts.
    This car does have an lx front bumper (w/o foglights holes) it does show signs of been hit in front. So I'm sure it was replaced with a easyer to find lx bumper.

I did notice it has the foglight wires and plugs still hanging. Also on the decal under the hood says 5.0L
    Any other places to look, besides the buck tag?
    Also, I notice the trim (around the headlights and the trim going around the car) is a grey color, not black like most I've seen. Seems to be a factory 5speed also. 95k miles, with pretty much every mod you can do to a SD engine.
    Thanks
    Well, if you post the tag codes there are other things in there as well that might clue us in.

Between that tag and the door sticker, many things start becoming clearer.

If you have a friend with a digital camera, see if they couldn't snap some pictures for you that you could upload.

-Mike

Wow, you want me to post all the vin numbers and buck tag numbers? No thanks.
    Thanks
    My turn to chime in. 85 and 86 Mustangs went to a "softer" trim package color of charcoal, so that is normal for your car. As far as not posting your vin and buck tag info, that just helps us get you answers on your car. Many of us have books that decode that info. If somebody has a carfax account, they can help with the history. I may be corrected here, but I don't think anybody could track you down and ax murder you from a vin number, and definitely not from a buck tag. Your vin is displayed for any joe shmoe to see when you park your car at the Wal-mart.
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

Hey Blue86, where did you get that breakdown by color? I didn't think that info was available.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

I'll ask around.
    But it'll be much easyer if I sent them by emails.

One more thing I noticed, this is the 4th or 5th one I seen like this, but 3 of those 5 had tan sport seats or tan lx seats with tan interior.

Sellis> dude it's not that I don't want to, I flat out can't post pics of the vin and buck tag with this internet phone.
    Not being a butthead here, but I've said this many of times already.
    Post your email address and I'l send em to you guys.

There is no need for pics. Just write down the codes and post them.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    There is no need for pics. Just write down the codes and post them.

What he said.
    83 Mercury Capri RS, 91 Mustang Gt 'vert, 04 CO Mach 1

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast