Close

Thumbs up T-5 swap behind 3.8 V-6 is done

Yes after 2 months of research I have found a way to install a T-5 behind the 3.8 in my 1984 Mustang. You may ask why not install a V-8. I wanted to try something different and since most of my driving is in town, for fuel mileage.
    My research:
    I purchased several mid 80's 3.8 automatic flexplates off of ebay for next to nothing, removed and weighed the counterweights. 3.8 C-5 Flexplates use a weight of 5.4 oz . 3.8 AOD flexplates use a weight of 5.0 oz. SInce all the 83-87 3.8s used the same crankshafts (except for the oil slinger provision on the 83), pistons, connecting rods and dampners, I figured the imbalance had to same. After e-mailing a tech at SPEC clutches I found that early 302 and 351W with 28 oz imbalance used a 5 oz weight at the flywheel. I also confirmed this by removing and checking a weight off an early 302 flexplate. Since the early 3.8s used in 82-83 F100 trucks used the same 164t flywheel that 351W used I knew I was onto something. The only problem was that the 3.8 crankshaft was drilled for M10 bolts and the SBF cranks are drilled for 7/16" bolts. The flywheel holes were going to be a little too big. I am currently trying to find a flywheel company to make a 28 oz imbalance flywheel drilled for M10 bolts. To complete my project I decided to use an inexpensive Hawk's racing SBF 28 oz imbalance flywheel to see if it would run right. Finished the project Sunday night and test drove the car. Engine runs great, actually a little smoother than with the C-5.
    The only problem is the CFI computer is still trying to compensate the idle for an automatic transmission. That will be corrected when I switch to a 2 barrel carb this weekend.
    Parts List:
    Hawk's Racing Flywheel from TMD on ebay
    ATP ZX-102 Flywheel bolts from rockauto.com
    T-5 V-8 bellhousing and block plate
    T-5 4 cylinder transmission from 89 Mustang GT that was totaled. How it got a 4 cylinder T-5 is unknown.
    BCA 202 pilot bearing.
    Driveshaft from same 89 mustang (C-5 driveshaft was too long)
    Clutch pedal assembly and Aluminum quadrant from same 89 mustang
    Ford racing adjustable clutch cable.
    5.0 Clutch set
    I hope this helps anyone interested. While I don't know what the long term durability is, right now it is alot more fun to drive.
    Dan
    1970 Mach 1 351C w/T-5 conversion (Project)
    1966 Mustang Fastback (Major Project)
    1984 Mustang LX Hatch 5.0 w/T-5

Neat info.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Member

I like that you're being different keeping the 6 and making it a 5spd.

I do have one question though. What changed with the 90s Tbird/Cougar and later SN95 Mustang 3.8 engines that you couldn't use the flywheel/clutch setup from one of them? Just imbalance or what? Or are they a completely different engine than the older 3.8s?

From my research the imbalance changed to 39 oz somewhere around 87 or 88 when they went to multiport EFI. Also the later 3.8s used a 164 tooth flywheel something I could not use with my 157T 5.0 Bell housing. It is nice cruising along at 55 mph in fifth gear at 1700 rpms. One thing I never realized was how much low end torque this engine produces. I don't really need to down shift until about 1100 or 1200 rpms.
    Dan

Low end torque....

Yup... my mother likes the gas milage and the fast take offs she can do with that 85 CFI/C5 combo she has. Her car had a few issues after the starter decided to keep spining after she started it. Well... after a few things got replaced I decided to toss a different computer in it. Her stock computer was an E4. The computer I tossed in it was out of a later 85 with a E5 on it. Basically... her 85 V6 is quicker off the line with the E5 puter than it was with the E4 puter.

She and I test drove one of those new 06 Mustang verts but she didn't like it. The 05/06 auto vert takes off like a slug compaired to her 85 LX vert. Also she didn't like how the 05/06 Mustangs looked like a cat with its ass up in the air.

Good job and good info on the T5 swap! You should put that in the Contribution corner.
    1985 Mustang GT Mild 331 4bbl 5 spd, 1985 SEFI LTD LX AOD.
    Cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565542
    Mid Size LTD LX Facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/groups/233213650060739/

FEP Senior Member Moving_Target's Avatar

I appreciate this information, I'm dealing with using a T5 from a '94 V6 car behind my 351W. I had bought a 157T 28oz flywheel to match up with the transmission but from your information, the flywheel won't work. What I'll need is a 164T flywheel to match up with the starter location on the V6 bellhousing. Annoying but good info to know. It'll give me a chance to upgrade to an 11" clutch.
    '86 Notch autocross beotch ( bucket of rust)
    '94 Crown Vic Winter Beater
    '93 Mustang Hatchback 2.3L 5spd

You could use that T-5 and 157T flywheel if you used a 94-95 Mustang 5.0 bellhousing. Good Luck.
    Dan

FEP Senior Member Moving_Target's Avatar

Yea, that's the other option, possibly the cheaper one.
    '86 Notch autocross beotch ( bucket of rust)
    '94 Crown Vic Winter Beater
    '93 Mustang Hatchback 2.3L 5spd

FEP Senior Member

i had a few questions relative to this subject. sorry for digging this back up but this is good info.

i remember reading that the 3.8 cranks were not drilled for a pilot bearing, was yours drilled for one or did you drill it out yourself?

what carb did you use? was it the older stock 3.8 one(82-83)?

did you ever see any effects from not getting it balanced?

im digging around for info and trying to absorb as much as i can and searching for info on this subject is slim to nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductape91 View Post
    i had a few questions relative to this subject. sorry for digging this back up but this is good info.

No Problem

i remember reading that the 3.8 cranks were not drilled for a pilot bearing, was yours drilled for one or did you drill it out yourself?

Mine was drilled. I think all of them are, since the snout of the torque convertor has to sit into it.

what carb did you use? was it the older stock 3.8 one(82-83)?

I used a Holley two barrell. Any motorcraft 2150 or standard holley 2 barrell should work.

did you ever see any effects from not getting it balanced?

Balance seem to me to be good. I ran it for about 8 months and it ran good and smooth. I switched to a 5.0 because the fuel mileage was not that good on the 3.8.

im digging around for info and trying to absorb as much as i can and searching for info on this subject is slim to nil.
    Any other questions feel free to PM me. The swap wasn't too hard and the car ran great. I just felt for 18 mpg around town I might as well have the power of a V-8. Good luck.

FEP Senior Member

thanks for the reply, ill keep that in mind if i have any other questions.
    now i just have to decide whether or not to do this to my tbird or wait for another stang or capri

Hey 84ilm, I got few questions for you ... from your list to look for these parts:

Hawk's Racing Flywheel from TMD on ebay
    ATP ZX-102 Flywheel bolts from rockauto.com
    T-5 V-8 bellhousing and block plate
    T-5 4 cylinder transmission from 89 Mustang GT that was totaled. How it got a 4 cylinder T-5 is unknown.
    BCA 202 pilot bearing.
    Driveshaft from same 89 mustang (C-5 driveshaft was too long)
    Clutch pedal assembly and Aluminum quadrant from same 89 mustang
    Ford racing adjustable clutch cable.
    5.0 Clutch set
    If you would please look in my thread where I'm making plans to swap my car auto transmission for a manual transmission. Here's the link: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=65325

I've brought from a local yard, salvaged from a 1986 Capri which is a 4 cylinder engine with 4 spd tranny. I got the bellhousing, the driveshaft and the clutch pedal assembly. Now I had found out the bellhousing and driveshaft are incorrect.

My questions:

1) What about the clutch pedal assembly from the '86 Capri - should I return them back with the bellhousing and driveshaft?

2) You said that you got T-5 transmission and clutch pedal assembly from a 89 Mustang GT. Does it have to be only this year or can I look in other years with same items? I'm told that it can be from 1986 to 93, what do you say to that?

3) The 4-spd tranny (from 86 Capri) is shown with the code "4 Tl" (or TL ... hard to read). A friend with me says it's a C-4. Is he right?

Thanks for your time with reply.
    1986 Mustang LX hatchback V6 auto

outstanding job and great info!!!

That little 3.8 isn't gonna get better mileage than a 5.0 though.

However, I love something different and this certainly qualifies
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

T-5 transmission and bell housing can be from a 5.0 mustang from 85-93. Use a drive shaft from the same car. The clutch pedal should work. The downside to the 3.8 is gas mileage. It was never that much more that a 5.0, but it was fun.
    Any more questions feel free to ask.
    Dan

Thanks for the answers, if I have any other more questions to ask - I'll let you know.
    1986 Mustang LX hatchback V6 auto

FEP User

"...3.8 - no better MPGs than a 5 oh..."
    not Y we have 'em, eh? BUT...

I wonder what a 20 yr upgraded 4.2 head (efi, all the rest) would do?
    Thnx,
    - -Chad
    an i4, i5 & i6er most my life
    Chad
    Seeking: fox station wagon int/ext trim (esp LTD/Marquis)
    Retire/restore ol Bronk to daughter
    chrlsful@aol.com