Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cool

Great Find!
    Glad to hear that another ASC is saved, I just bought a Silver 85 Grand Prix Capri. The thrill of finding and buying a rare car is So cool!
    It's like all the storys you hear and read about. And now you have a story.

Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    '85 was carbed, '86 was EFI.

The only '85's that had fuel injection was the automatics but they had CFI. I dont think any of the McLaren coupes came with autos but I know the convertibles did.
    Yeah, that is our understanding. All 85 Coupes came with manuals...hence 4v carbed roller cammed motors.

85 verts came either way but MOSTLY with automatics (maybe all were autos, I'm not sure). The verts were to be cruisers and the coupes were to be racers.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TurboN8 View Post
    LOL, I live in Kansas. I really wish i could find a set of the stock style rims. They look awesome!

The # on the back of the block is JX648478
    The VIN # is 1MEBP79MXFF607918

The rear gear ratio is 2.73 is that what they came with?
    Yeah, the engine was swapped....but I would quiz the owner extensively on it. asc was doing some weird things with those engines and rumors say that some "midnight" tuning was done on some of them.

Is this the original owner?

2.73 or 3.08 depending on how asc ordered them. Mine got the 2.73 and many later ones got the 3.08. Why the earlier ones seemed to come with 2.73 is beyond me.

You can buy the wheels from www.ascmclaren.com. I would ask around for a set somebody may be willing to sell cheap. It's better to buy a used set and get them restored.

Also note, Hank at ascMcLaren.com....will dicker a little on price. Ask him what a FULL set of 4 new wheels will cost. He may charge less than $450 x 4 = $1800.

-Mike

I even saw a 3.8 V6/auto convertible last year for sale in town. I believe it was an '85. I didnt know you could even get one with a six. It was white with blue interior.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    I even saw a 3.8 V6/auto convertible last year for sale in town. I believe it was an '85. I didnt know you could even get one with a six. It was white with blue interior.

1986. 1 of 6 verts made.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/ascLi...omething_2.jpg

The Tire Kickers demanded a cheaper car. Like always, the Tire Kickers evaporated even after the car was available.

-Mike

If you are interested I think I have the correct alpine radio, for the car. It's a post style though so it may not be the correct one.
    Kyle
    1986 ascMclaren #105, grey w/ black stripes 1 of 1
    2000 Ranger 4x4 Off Road 4.0L
    2000 Camry V-6 5 speed manual
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiesaysrelax View Post
    Sounds like you might have made them make brown rice in their underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    If you are interested I think I have the correct alpine radio, for the car. It's a post style though so it may not be the correct one.
    Post style Alpines are correct for 1985. It was like a 7267 or something slightly different than Alpine 7272.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Yeah, the engine was swapped....but I would quiz the owner extensively on it. asc was doing some weird things with those engines and rumors say that some "midnight" tuning was done on some of them.

Is this the original owner?

2.73 or 3.08 depending on how asc ordered them. Mine got the 2.73 and many later ones got the 3.08. Why the earlier ones seemed to come with 2.73 is beyond me.

You can buy the wheels from www.ascmclaren.com. I would ask around for a set somebody may be willing to sell cheap. It's better to buy a used set and get them restored.

Also note, Hank at ascMcLaren.com....will dicker a little on price. Ask him what a FULL set of 4 new wheels will cost. He may charge less than $450 x 4 = $1800.

-Mike
    This was not the original owner, and the guy i got it from knows nothing about it. He had it for 2 years and it pretty much sat. All he really did was save it from an impound yard. $1800 for rims!!! I'll try to find something else! Anyone on this board want to sell theirs?!

"Midnight tuning" huh, well i just hope this block is at least a "roller" block. It runs super strong, and even pulls pretty good for 2.73's.
    1985 Capri ASC Mclaren Coupe
    1987 Mustang Notchback Turbo 2.3
    1988 Turbo Coupe

"Midnight tuning" huh, well i just hope this block is at least a "roller" block. It runs super strong, and even pulls pretty good for 2.73's.
    Should be, its an 85 with a manual.
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    The engine has been changed. I'd be suspicious of accident damage, since the stripes are missing from one side.
    As far as accident damage i doubt it! you can see where the stickers were peeled off if you look closely, and the door and front fender are original. On the lift i can't see any unibody damage underneath either!

Kyle, As far as the motor being a roller i said that because as previously stated it isn't the original block.
    1988 Turbo Coupe

Travis T

Cool, by the pictures, I couldn't tell if the stickers were peeled off or if the car had been repainted on that side. Looks like a solid project in that case.

FEP Member

LOL, I live in Kansas. I really wish i could find a set of the stock style rims. They look awesome!

The # on the back of the block is JX648478
    The VIN # is 1MEBP79MXFF607918

The rear gear ratio is 2.73 is that what they came with?

According to the numbers on the block, the engine came out of a '88 L/M built at the St. Thomas plant. Unless my book is wrong. '88 means no midnight tuning by asc. Sounds like a straight replacement to me, and probably isn't roller.

Will
    '81 Capri ??? (going under the knife, hope to have it in black epoxy by spring)
    '84 Capri GS T-top / '90 GT drivetrain and factory black interior.
    '86 GT vert - Everything you could see was stone stock, everything you couldn't, wasn't - taken by a DUI Hit&Run in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by 81merc View Post
    According to the numbers on the block, the engine came out of a '88 L/M built at the St. Thomas plant. Unless my book is wrong. '88 means no midnight tuning by asc. Sounds like a straight replacement to me, and probably isn't roller.

Will
    Good info! what does L/M mean? Someone once told me all the 5.0 blocks were roller after 1986, but i guess this isn't the case? what all did they come in? Thanks again for the Help guys!
    1988 Turbo Coupe

Lincoln Mercury
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

As far as accident damage i doubt it! you can see where the stickers were peeled off if you look closely, and the door and front fender are original. On the lift i can't see any unibody damage underneath either!

Kyle, As far as the motor being a roller i said that because as previously stated it isn't the original block.
    Oh yeah, sorry. I thought all blocks after 86 were roller to, or at least roller ready?
    Kyle

FEP Member

Good info! what does L/M mean? Someone once told me all the 5.0 blocks were roller after 1986, but i guess this isn't the case? what all did they come in? Thanks again for the Help guys!
    Those numbers should be the last 8 of the VIN of the car the engine was originally in. They decode just like a VIN. Year, Assembly, & CUN. L/M is Lincoln/Mercury. After '85 only H.O.s were roller cammed and the blocks were phased in as the stock of nonroller blocks ran out. In '88 it's hit or miss. The easiest way to tell is to pull a pushrod and check its length. Fairly quick and only involves one gasket. Roller pushrods are a decent amount shorter. I think the only L/M products that came with a 5.0L in '88 were the full size cars and the Mark VII (I don't remember what year the Mark VII started, it might be later).
    Now, find out what vehicle lines were built at that plant in that year and you'll know what it came out of. Odds are good it was a Grand Marquis or Town Car.

Will
    '81 Capri ??? (going under the knife, hope to have it in black epoxy by spring)
    '84 Capri GS T-top / '90 GT drivetrain and factory black interior.
    '86 GT vert - Everything you could see was stone stock, everything you couldn't, wasn't - taken by a DUI Hit&Run in 2001.

hey I live about 2 hours north east of you. 1/2 hour east of Salina on I 70. Welcome and congrats on the Mclaren find. I have a couple of 85 Mclarens and have never seen another one around these parts and have been here since 86. As stated above your motor may not be a roller motor but it is roller capable. That quarter panel shouldn't be too hard to fix. If you might want to get rid of it, trade it for a mustang or something let me know.

Cool Man! I'll for sure let you know if i decide to get rid of it! What mustangs do you have?
    1988 Turbo Coupe

Default current cars

Hmm, my current cars are a modified 64 1/2 mustang coupe, a white 85 Mustang LX v-6 vert, a black 85 Mustang GT with T-tops, and a red 89 LX 4 cylinder body, a 64 Ford Falcon with a 302, a 67 Cougar, a 63 Falcon 2 door wagon project, 2 1985 Mclaren Coupes, a 69 Cougar project, and a 83 capri L. You can find pics of most of them at cardomain.com/id/stangmodifier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12