Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default capri's get no respect (rant)

Was at a all ford car show today. and they stuck me in the intermediate class
    was going to put me in the compact class with all the riced out focus. I asked why can't I be in the mustang class. His reply Its not a mustang. well where was the capri class. well any way lost out to a torino a maruader and the winner was a mustang noised capri with a mustang hatch. Not that mine is a show car but it is all original ok rant done
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

I don't know if a capri really should compete againsts mustangs, its not really fair for the stangs

That does suck though, you figure since they are the same vehicle they would at least consider putting you in the same class. Ah well, the sacrafices we make for our cars
    ________
    List of transmissions
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 06:00 AM.

so they should have a fox body class. hell there was only 3 mustangs in the 76-86 class
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho

that would make to much sense
    ________
    Chevrolet buses specifications
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Yep. On my ascMcLaren, the only identifiying mark is the Capri grill tag. I am thinking if ever I take it to one of the local Mustang cruise-ins, I'll pop it off and see what people think it is

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    Yep. On my ascMcLaren, the only identifiying mark is the Capri grill tag. I am thinking if ever I take it to one of the local Mustang cruise-ins, I'll pop it off and see what people think it is

-Mike
    Mine doesn't even have that, all is says is ascMclaren. I've had people think its a body kit for a mustang or something. And I've only had it out a few times. My old capri was even worse because it had the "5.0" badge on the side. People thought it was a ripoff, like the chargers of the time
    ________
    cannabis news
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle

-Mike
    Mine doesn't even have that, all is says is ascMclaren. I've had people think its a body kit for a mustang or something. And I've only had it out a few times. My old capri was even worse because it had the "5.0" badge on the side. People thought it was a ripoff, like the chargers of the time
    Yep, I was thinking of putting the "ascMcLaren" plaque on there like your 86....and tryin to enter it as a Mustang.

-Mike

someones head would explode, I've seen it happen
    ________
    medical marijuana grow
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 06:02 AM.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

My sympathy goes out too you, but you must admit; you have an unfair advantage in both beauty & class.....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

FEP Supporter

North of Seattle, near the "Four-Eye-Field-of-Dreams"

Me and 84Navycat had the same thing happen to us at the mustang round-up last year. They put him in the modified class cause his motor was built, and they sent me into the Steve Saleen lot !! Boy did I get dirty looks before I got kicked out ! Next stop was the official led me into the "Boss" lot...yep, got kicked out of there too. 3rd attempt was into the 94 / 98 lot...lots of puzzled looks. I asked to speak to the person in charge, and when he could not come up with an answer, he sent me to the "collectors" lot. guess where the most positive comments came from ? yep, from the particpants from the other 3 lots that came to get a better look. Never did get to be with 84Navycat, and did not go back this year either.

Neil
    Check out the Northwest "4-Eye" BBQ here >>> WWW.NWFOUREYEBBQ.COM

foureyebbq@hotmail.com (to be put on the BBQ list )

Lots of pics of my ride for your viewing pleasure....
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052657/1

Happened to me several times, I just don't go to the "All Ford" events anymore. Who wants a trophy from people that are that stupid or close minded anyway? I've always felt like I didn't get a fair shake when it came time to judge my car... those people seem to hate the car because it isn't a Mustang...it's like they act threatened by it or something. Alot of times I feel like they are viewing it as a "kit" car... no respect. Just say screw 'em and go to shows that have all kinds of cars... those people seem to love it and ask all kinds of questions... Mustang guys can really suck sometimes and not even know their doing it.
    '86 Capri 5.0, black with charcoal interior, 5 spd, fully restored, mildly modded.

'86 Capri 5.0, white with black interior, C4, rotisserie restored, heavily modded.

Quote Originally Posted by WHTLTHR79RS
    Me and 84Navycat had the same thing happen to us at the mustang round-up last year. They put him in the modified class cause his motor was built, and they sent me into the Steve Saleen lot !! Boy did I get dirty looks before I got kicked out ! Next stop was the official led me into the "Boss" lot...yep, got kicked out of there too. 3rd attempt was into the 94 / 98 lot...lots of puzzled looks. I asked to speak to the person in charge, and when he could not come up with an answer, he sent me to the "collectors" lot. guess where the most positive comments came from ? yep, from the particpants from the other 3 lots that came to get a better look. Never did get to be with 84Navycat, and did not go back this year either.

Neil
    Hahah. It was like your own little parade I bet.

Our cars go into the Late Model Mercury area if they have one. I know we would all love to be in there with the Mustang guys but it just ain't ever going to happen.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by capri debris
    Who wants a trophy from people that are that stupid or close minded anyway?
    Exactly. I really hate this whole trophy crap. It's always far from perfect, people get all bent out of shape when they don't win. Then they go all up and down the judges because they didn't see the 10 non correct items on the winner's car.

I think all judging should be by the crowd.

-Mike

It is situations like you guys describe that will keep me from ever entering a car at a show. I don't need those headaches.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Quote Originally Posted by 75coug
    It is situations like you guys describe that will keep me from ever entering a car at a show. I don't need those headaches.
    You can usually enter your car and request not to be judged. Several people in every class usually opt for that for various reasons.

-Mike

You can usually enter your car and request not to be judged. Several people in every class usually opt for that for various reasons.
    True, but even if a person's car is not being formally judged, there will be some a-holes who stop by to critique and criticize.

I was getting the oil changed in an old car a while back, and some other customer shouted across the place in a rather snotty tone, "Hey, that car's been repainted, you know!" Well, yeah, I knew that it had been repainted. Who gives a crap?

At car shows, there are dozens of guys like the jerk at the oil change place. I just don't feel the need to have every "expert" ripping on my car. I therefore leave my cars at home and go to car shows to silently enjoy examining other people's fine work.
    Robert

1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

FEP Member

OK here is some Irony to this whole thing.
    This was a special package on the mustang that mercury offered.
    When you ordered the capri package you got these options.

Just stand back and see who bites.
    and then laugh your ass off

TLennyRS

Who wants a trophy from people that are that stupid or close minded anyway?
    Exactly. I really hate this whole trophy crap. It's always far from perfect, people get all bent out of shape when they don't win. Then they go all up and down the judges because they didn't see the 10 non correct items on the winner's car.

I think all judging should be by the crowd.

-Mike
    this was a crowd judged event I think i'll just stick to the cruises
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho

FEP Member

Mustang guys can really suck sometimes and not even know their doing it.
    One of the reasons I have avoided owning Mustangs.

The Mustang Crowd seems to think they are above other car guys, yet everyone and their brother has a Mustang!!!

People who want to paint themselves as something different should actually be different, don't ya think?

FEP Member

about 3 years ago I went to an all ford show local in Milwaukee.
    The people at the entrance did not know what it was. They asked me what group I wanted to be in and I told them the 79-93 Mustang.
    They agreed and put me in a class of 13 cars. I took 3rd place in my class. People did not know what it was or they forgot about the capri.
    I always get a good response when I take it out.
    TLennRS

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman
    Mustang guys can really suck sometimes and not even know their doing it.
    One of the reasons I have avoided owning Mustangs.

The Mustang Crowd seems to think they are above other car guys, yet everyone and their brother has a Mustang!!!

People who want to paint themselves as something different should actually be different, don't ya think?

I have both. A Mustang and a Capri. I don't think I'm better than anybody. In fact I envy you people for having sweet ass Capris that LOOK like Capris.

What's even more messed up about Mustang guys are the COBRA guys. Oh their **** doesn't stink at all. LOL
    1980 Mercury Capri. 5.0 Operation "Face Off"

FEP User

My little capri is nearly finished, and I was at an all ford day on the weekend, 650 plus cars, has a sniff around to see what class I could go in.

I had a chat with the pommie capri guys and those that had those aussie convertible things that we unleased on the rest of the world, Oh no can't put that with our cars, my arguement is that it is a capri and their banner said capri car club, next was the yank tank section, not big enough for that, then on to the mustang section, must have been 100 of them lined up like taxi's all early model stuff, they were so far up themselves it was not funny.

I had a chat to a mate that has to best 65 tbird conv in the country, he rekons that the whole show scene is so political, he has turned up at shows with the best car and got nothing, they reckon he has won too many trophies (120 plus) and to give someone else a win. His addage is if you want to beat me lift your game and put in a car that is better.

Anyway to end my rant seems the special interest section is the go.

Athol.

Quote Originally Posted by athol
    I had a chat with the pommie capri guys and those that had those aussie convertible things that we unleased on the rest of the world,
    What is a pommie? Just curious.
    Robert

1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

The show that Neil mentioned is the one that I go to on a yearly basis. The sight of 1200+ Mustangs and other Ford powered cars is mind numbing.

Curiously, it this the only show that I have been to that has an ASC McLaren class. Only one or two 87-90's show up any given year. I have wondered if I show up with my 85 Capri based 'vert will they place me there or in the other lot were the non-Mustangs, non-Cougar, and non-Foci hide....
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by athol
    I had a chat with the pommie capri guys and those that had those aussie convertible things that we unleased on the rest of the world,
    What is a pommie? Just curious.
    A person that lives in England. Sorry I tend to forget we speak the same language but are miles apart in our sayings.

Fender...Mudguard.
    Hood......Bonnet.
    Trunk.....Boot.
    Dew Wiper....Bailey rubber.
    Lug nuts....Wheel nuts.
    E brake.....Handbrake.

Athol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast