Close

FEP Member

Default How valuable/collectable?

Apparently, I have a Crimson Cat. I had no idea when I bought it that it was such. How collectable/valuable are these cars? Mine is all original and runs/drives fine (for a car with 115K miles), but of course, will need restoration eventually.

I bought the car with the intention of eventually putting in a modern drivetrain/suspension/interior, and updating the car, but may restore it to original equipment specs if the value/collectability is adversely affected otherwise.

Thoughts anyone?

To some doing anything not stock would devalue the car, to others, leaving it carbed, capri nosed etc makes it less desirable (although I have no idea why ). Me, I walk the middle road. I'd put a better engine/tranny in for drivability but keep the original parts, a 5.0 looks like a 5.0, regardless of year, as long as you keep the same induction. Even there I might want to go EFI. As for the paint and everything else that make it a CC, I'd restore to stock appearance. Unfortunatly anything capri isn't going to be terribly valuable, yet. I have an asc that is a one of one and its not worth to much, but its worth alot to me and thats what counts. I say do what you want as long as you keep everything so your or someone else can change it back
    ________
    Daihatsu Applause
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 05:57 AM.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

I agree with Kyle. Keep the outward appearance as factory origional as possible. Tasteful improvements of the foxbodies inherent weaknesses, like the brakes for instance, would be a plus in most people's book IMHO....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Is the car a v8 car?

There were roughly 800 Crimson Cats. Probably less than half got the v8 engine. Probably less than that still have their original engine too.

If the car is an original untouched v8 Crimson Cat, the car's value will benefit by remaining mostly stock. There are a few people I know of that have been waiting to see a completely stock unmolested CC show up. I know one for sale but the owner wants the world for it (Saleen Prices...and it hasn't sold from what I know).

Unfortunately being a Capri, it suffers from not being a Mustang and just like the old classic Cougars, their values won't come into full swing until well after the Mustangs of the same era have really established themselves.

Also, being a Capri, the car is shrouded in obscurity. For those who know, they are treats to see but for 99.9% of the population they won't know jack about them....all they'll want is a Mustang instead.

So, it's tough to tell you one way or the other. If you take two CCs on ebay. Both look stock but one has lost it's original engine (but a good looking swap) and the other one has the original v8 and is untouched. The original one will probably sell for more. How much more...probably not a whole heck of a lot.

Me, I'd love to see some stock examples left around for when I go looking for one someday. Taking a car fom being modified to stock very rarely happens and is rather tough to do. It's always easier to find a stock version with all the right parts first....and paying a bit more for it too.

If it is a 4cyl model then it probably won't hurt by getting a v8 swap. It'll be a loooong time before 100% original 4cyl cars get any kind of recognition, no matter how rare or even if a Mustang.

-Mike

FEP Member

I think that keeping the looks stock is a good thing and shold be restored to the original paint and stripes when it comes to the collector cats. But there are some upgrades that are very well accepted like
    Breaks
    Lower springs,Poly-susspension buschings, sway bars, frame connectors.
    These things need to be upgraded because of the age and it also should have been done at the factory. It makes it a better car in handling and it doesn't rattle as much.
    My car had some mods on it already so I just made it better.
    TLennyRS

FEP Member

Thanks all.

My car is a v-8/5sp car, all original, but showing wear. As far as I can tell, there have been no modifications done to the car, everything that has been replaced has been replaced with a factory spec item.

I had figured on restoring the appearance to factory stock, but yanking the engine and replacing it with a EFI one, replacing the trans with a beefier T-5 or a T56 and a 8.8 rear. Different wheels, rebuilt/modified suspension, brakes, etc., better seats, gauges, that sort of thing. In general, bringing the car up to modern mechanical specs and performance while retaining the original (but restored) appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    There are a few people I know of that have been waiting to see a completely stock unmolested CC show up.
    Mine is unmolested, as far as I can tell, right down to the factory radio. The seats are the worst condition items on the car. I drive the car every day, but it is going to need work soon, especially to the induction and suspension.

Also, what are the "correct" wheels for this car? I have the 15" "turbine" 4-lug wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman
    Thanks all.

My car is a v-8/5sp car, all original, but showing wear. As far as I can tell, there have been no modifications done to the car, everything that has been replaced has been replaced with a factory spec item.

I had figured on restoring the appearance to factory stock, but yanking the engine and replacing it with a EFI one, replacing the trans with a beefier T-5 or a T56 and a 8.8 rear. Different wheels, rebuilt/modified suspension, brakes, etc., better seats, gauges, that sort of thing. In general, bringing the car up to modern mechanical specs and performance while retaining the original (but restored) appearances.

There are a few people I know of that have been waiting to see a completely stock unmolested CC show up.
    Mine is unmolested, as far as I can tell, right down to the factory radio. The seats are the worst condition items on the car. I drive the car every day, but it is going to need work soon, especially to the induction and suspension.

Also, what are the "correct" wheels for this car? I have the 15" "turbine" 4-lug wheels.
    exactly what I would do, but keep all the original gauges, etc. in a box just in case. I believe the original wheels are a gold colored TRX wheel?
    ________
    weed bubblers
    Last edited by Kyle; 02-06-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Is it for sale?

Cougar TRX wheels.

-Mike

Cougar TRX wheels.

-Mike
    IIRC, The 83-84 T-bird got them along with the Coug....

79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

FEP Member

Is it for sale?
    Heh heh... no, I just bought it.

so keeping it as original is best. but what if you have to replace parts? if you modify the new parts to match stock specs, is that good? as almost everyone knows, im becoming obsessed with my capri interior. i want so badly to return this cat to its glory and i need the interior to be very, very sexy for that to happen. i may chance upon a 1985 convertible mustang that im stealing door armrests, kick panels, and a center console off of. i hope to make it look as original as possible. but a new problem has occured. there is a bit of wiring on the driver side of the engine, part of it is to the carb and the other part is to the iginition spark box on the inner fender well. it seems pretty worn and torn, so i was wondering, is that wiring doable without replacing the entire harness or am i pretty well shafted by this issue?? also im sorry for posting on someone elses thread, but it seemed a little dead...
    my 2.0 liter pepsi vs. your 2.0 Honda

ascMcLarenCoupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    IIRC, The 83-84 T-bird got them along with the Coug....

Marty,

Those aren't the correct wheels for a Crimson Cat. They were more of a multi-spoke type of wheel.
    you can see them on Mike's Literature pages on his website.

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...ctsBook_09.jpg

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...ctsBook_14.jpg

Brent

I thought they were like the regular TRX wheel, but gold colored???
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

ascMcLarenCoupe

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    I thought they were like the regular TRX wheel, but gold colored???
    That is true for the Black Magic cars, but the Crimson Cat wheel was not available on any other model Capri.

Brent

Highwayman, do you have any photos of your car available for viewing?
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 75coug View Post
    Highwayman, do you have any photos of your car available for viewing?
    No, but I can get some, I think.