Close

Thread: O2 sensor

Default O2 sensor

Putting my engine back together. I want to put a new O2 sensor in. What sensor should I use, there are many types. I think the factory one is a One wire. Could I put in a wideband sensor and run the ECU and a wideband gauge. What is the best way to go? What is the price difference, is it worth it?

Mike
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

If you are runnning the factory ECU, run the stock type O2, pretty sure the early cars were single wire but I can't remember for sure at the moment. Bosch pretty much has the O2 replacement market covered.

Widebands are used with afftermarket control systems (or stand-alone) and are a much more effective tuning and diagnostic tool than the factory piece. They are typically installed in an alternate location on the downpipe.

Hope that helps,
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

In order to put a wideband in you need one that can output a Narrowband signal so the stock ECU can use. The Innovative LC-1 and LM-1 is one brand that does such.

I'd pass unless you plan on doing some major tuning in the near future.

There is a guide on switching to the 3 wire O2 but don't know where I saw it, want to say on a Merkur site. Its heated and warms up the sensor quicker.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Yea, I thought I read a article about the 3 wire somewhere. Would that just heat the sensor quicker to get into closed loop sooner or just run more efficient on startup?

Currently the block is stock with a valve job on the head and hardened valve seats. Stinger header with 3" exhaust. Will have a front mount or methanol inj or maybe both. Just would be nice to have a wideband, if the cost of the Innovative isnt insane. It just gets to a point of when do you draw the line and quit spending money. Looks like the LC1 kit is about $350, that wont be happening now. Has anyone done the 3 wire O2 swap?

Mike

http://www.merkurencyclopedia.com/EE...re_sensor.html

Would this be the link????????????????/
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Think thats it.
    No matter where you go, there you are

3 wire sensors are there mainly for startup emissions and they are supposed to last a little longer. They usually are more expensive so in the end its probably a wash.

The prices I found on the internet for the bosch unit were about the same for 1 or 3 wire. Guess Ill go for the 3 wire.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0