Close

Thread: intake

Default intake

84 svo or 89 2.3 intake, whats better, it appears the 89 one is better.
    1986 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0TT Megasquirt'n'Spark--Sold
    1987 Merkur XR4Ti -Poly suspension bits-tubular header-holset H1c-custom intake-alky injection

I was always told the '89 style was better than the butt-crack ones.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

FEP Super Member

Depends on what head you have. If you are using a 84 head you will need to drill and tap a hole in the head to use the box style intake.

In stock form I dont believe that there is a difference. The box intake is easier to port if you want to.

I have asked this question several times over at turboford and svoca and never got a definitive answer.

IMHO unported I dont think there is much of a difference.

So if you dont want to drill/tap the head and port the box then go for it. If you rlooking for simple/easy get it on the road just bolt the 84 back on it.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I've never seen any dyno sheets that suggest one intake style is better than the other. Almost all of the power increase between the 84-85 and the 85.5-86 engines was a result of changes to the cam and tune.

The later box style intakes, like Kyle mentioned, have more porting potential.

Quote Originally Posted by svobart

You guys might want to have a look at this: http://www.geocities.com/schlodessssu/steves84.htm
    Leader of the SVO World Order....."Where Liberty Is For Just Us And Not All. "

Hey!

Its that Gator.G Gator guy!

I'll take an inline over the square anyday.
    -Mike Malone
    69 Mach1, 81 LX, 83 GT Turbo, 85.5 SVO 9L, 86 SVO 2A, 86 GT, 90 LX 5.0 - and a badass 84 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by XxGATORxX

You guys might want to have a look at this: http://www.geocities.com/schlodessssu/steves84.htm
    Repost!
    No matter where you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    Quote Originally Posted by XxGATORxX

Repost!
    Repost! ( HA !! I showed you... )
    Leader of the SVO World Order....."Where Liberty Is For Just Us And Not All. "

I've always heard that turbos like a box type intake.
    -John-

79 Mercury Capri RS: 5.0L 5 speed swap
    83 Mustang GT: 5.0L 5 Speed
    83 Mustang GT T-Top: 5.0L 5 Speed
    84 Mustang L: 2.3L 4 Speed
    85 LTD Wagon: 358W 5 speed swap
    87 Mustang LX: 5.0L 5 speed swap

Turbos like anything free flowing.

The engine on the other hand will perform differently with different intakes, certain intakes will give you torque, others will allow the engine to breath well in the higher RPM band.

aaronlake

My 84 TGT was an inline on an 88 TC motor with an IHI. It would get out of the hole like nobodies business, but I shifted at 4800 because nothing was happening. I put on a square and it lost the off the line butt kick, but I could shift a little later. Ditching the IHI for a to4e and going back to the ported inline was a winner though. Haven't seen the need for the square since the turbo swap. If it wasn't 100 degrees outside, I would try it and let you know. Sorry!