Close

Thread: Timing???

FEP Member

Default Timing???

Alright guys, need some assistance. We are trying to get the timing just right on my brothers car. We transplaneted the engine from his totalled 89 LX to a donor 90 LX which was actually in alot better condition than the 89 and my 86. We are trying to get the timing just right but the belt seems to jump a notch every time we attempt it. Any tricks? Suggestions? This is the hardest time I've ever had setting timing on any car.

For reference, the engine is out of an 86 Merkur. Ignition system is factory, and it has the LA3 computer.
    Tom
    1986 LX - Sold
    1990 LX - 2.3 Turbo (FOR SALE)
    1985 ASC McLaren vert #116 - Sold to Red390GT
    2006 Mazda 3 5-door (Daily Driver)

Make sure the crank and cam pulley marks are in line with their repsective pointers, get the dist rotor pointing towards the #1 plug on the cap.

Then make sure as much slack is out of the belt on the right side of the pullies (ie between the AUX and cam pullies, and between the crank and AUX pullies). You want all the slop between the crank and cam pullies on the left side. That way when the tensioner takes up that slop, it won't want to pull the belt around the pullies, thus turning them.

That's the way I do it and never have any issues.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Make sure the tensioner is in good condition.
    No matter where you go, there you are

I allways just let the cam slip into the position. Just before the cam position the cam will let go and pop into the right spot just use a ratchet to turn the cam and just before it gets to the timing mark let it go and it will slip into the mark on its own. Kinda hard to explain but it works.
    85 SVO
    94 GT CMC#71
    65 Fastback