Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whitegauges.net gauge face experience

I need to start off by saying that it's not a bad experience, but rather good when all is said and done...

Recently I finally ordered a set of their gauge face overlays, but instead of their signature White Face, I opted for the factory stock appearance overlay. They sent me a set of overlays, needle paint and their installation kit as I requested. When I got the order in the mail, everything was there and as I looked over the overlays, I noted that there were some minor differences with a bit of red missing here and there, but the fixes would be rather minor to make a perfect product. Just for reference, here are pics of what I got:

The main differences are on the smaller gauges - the "Normal" text on a couple of the gauges should be red instead of white and there's one or two needle marker hashmarks that need to be red also.

I contacted Whitegauges.net by email and included some pics of 1984, 85 & 86 gauge displays along with a description of the items that need correcting. They were very appreciative of the constructive response and the pics because it only helps them make a better product. Having a happy customer is the order of the day over there!

I got an email from them today saying that they made the necessary corrections and have shipped a second set of gauge overlays to me at no extra cost. I'm looking forward to getting these so I can do a bit of restoration on my gauge cluster soon.

I'll post an update as soon as I get the second set.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Excellent customer service right there. Glad that you are happy.
    That's a fun project that you are undertaking.
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

Sounds like a great place to do business to me
    85 GT: bbk headers and H pipe, 3" flowmasters, k&n, bbk springs, eagle alloys, msd ignition system, a/c delete...currently at body shop receiving some fresh copper metallic pearl paint

RICERS: PROOF THAT AN I.Q. IS NOT A REQUIREMENT TO PURCHASE A CAR

Please post up the corrected overlays after you get them.

Thanks!
    1984 SVO 2A - Sold
    1993 Cobra Teal
    2009 Shelby GT500 KR

A nice start that with some fine tuning could be a viable option for anyone with faded gauges.

The typefaces look a little thick/heavy on the whites, I am guessing they are starting with white vinyl and printing the blacks. The correct typeface is similar to the typeface "Eurostile Extended Two", and is set in a "demi-bold style, not exactly bold but not exactly light.

Official FOX-A-QUE Threads
    : 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009

I used this company and the only issue I had was that they didn't cut the small square needed for your high beam indicator light to be visible, I had to cut it out myself. Did they correct that on your set?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Neither here nor there

I have contacted them and dropped them a link to this thread for feedback as well. I would love to see them make them as "correct" as possible. Bryan, did they include a 140mph in that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gear 86 View Post
    I used this company and the only issue I had was that they didn't cut the small square needed for your high beam indicator light to be visible, I had to cut it out myself. Did they correct that on your set?
    I can't speak for Bryan, but on the white face set I just got the high beam indicator is not cut out.

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    I have contacted them and dropped them a link to this thread for feedback as well. I would love to see them make them as "correct" as possible. Bryan, did they include a 140mph in that as well?
    my set came with the 85, 105, and 140 mph. That was a white set, but don't see why it would be different.

I would like to add that the first bottle of needle paint they sent me arrived with the bottom broken out of it. I sent them an email and in 2 days I had another bottle. Great customer service and I would definitely deal with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Capriman86 View Post
    Yes, they did include a 140mph speedo overlay. Look in the bottom right corner of the first pic I had in my OP.
    Bryan

FEP Senior Member

Excited to see the corrected set! Sounds like great customer service
    1986 Saleen #26 - Saugus Pace Car
    1988 Range Rover Classic - The Shop Truck

Looking at the pictures posted, it doesn't look like the high-beam indicator light is cut out on any of the speedo overlays.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Rob View Post
    Looking at the pictures posted, it doesn't look like the high-beam indicator light is cut out on any of the speedo overlays.
    I haven't checked the high-beam indicator on the speedo, but I know that all of the odometer and other cut outs are pre-cut, I just haven't popped them out. I'll check on the high-beam indicator to see if it is pre-cut as well. I should be receiving the updated set either today or tomorrow.
    Bryan

I had to cut out the high beam on the set I installed a few years back. I'll be very interested to see the final product. I put the white overlays in the 85 because the originals were very faded. But for the Capri I would prefer what you're doing here.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Has anyone seen the silver overlays or have pictures of them?
    85 Capri-408w afr205 heads demon carb 3.73 t5 18" fr500's Mach 1 brakes, aje k-member eibach springs shock struts sway bars, autometer in dash gauges
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=124386

So did you get the updated overlays in? I'm curious to see how they look.

I just got my set last night,stock color in klms,same issues,small differences that you would never know unless you put the two together.I'm happy with it,but I'm also finding the letters and numbers aren't as crisp and clear as stock too.One more problem I beleive I going to have is getting the overlays around the speedo and tack needle without cutting the hole bigger or taking the needles off.
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Quote Originally Posted by craigerSS View Post
    I just got my set last night,stock color in klms,same issues,small differences that you would never know unless you put the two together.I'm happy with it,but I'm also finding the letters and numbers aren't as crisp and clear as stock too.One more problem I beleive I going to have is getting the overlays around the speedo and tack needle without cutting the hole bigger or taking the needles off.
    You're supposed to take the needles off when you do overlays.

I kept all my needles on when I put my set of overlays on. It just takes a little patience and manipulation to get them around the speedo/tach needles. The rest of the gauge needles are easier to get the overlays around. From reading previous posts, I hear the amp, fuel, etc needles are a pain to put back on if you remove them so be careful (they are very flimsy and could bend or break easily).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

You do not want to remove the needles from the small gauges. You could remove them, but you don't want to. Trust me on that. Removing the needles from the speedo and tach is easy. Just don't break them.

The high beam indicator is in the tach and I don't see it punched out in any of the overlays posted above.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

You can install these no problem without removing the needles. Install them under bright lights and pay close attention to their alignment though. I installed the oil pressure face in my 85 a bit off and as a result from that point forward the reading was a little scary.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Quote Originally Posted by DrewM View Post
    So did you get the updated overlays in? I'm curious to see how they look.
    I'm thinking that they should be arriving in the mail today. With yesterday being a national holiday, there was no mail. I will post pics as soon as I get them.
    Bryan

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    You do not want to remove the needles from the small gauges. You could remove them, but you don't want to. Trust me on that. Removing the needles from the speedo and tach is easy. Just don't break them.

The high beam indicator is in the tach and I don't see it punched out in any of the overlays posted above.

I have bumped the small needle off one before, yeah, not fun, don't do it.

The other 2 are easy to remove and that is what I did years ago as well, was just easier.

The ones I had years ago didn't have the high beam hole either.

Finished mine up the other nite. You do not need to remove the needles. Make sure your spray gauge faces with lots of soapy water and take your time. If you put enough solution on them you don't need to rush, you can move them around a lot. I took the speedo off and put it back on. ALso, I would suggest doing the oil pressure first. You get 2 of them so if you screw up the first 1 you aren't screwed.

My results:

Also, I had to cut out the high beam slot. I used a very sharp xacto knife. Just make sure you wait until the face has dried or it may slide on you.

Good to know I don't have to remove the needles on my tach and speedo,but if I wanted to,how do they come off?I did try pulling on the speedo needle but was afraid if I pulled to hard I would do damage
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Quote Originally Posted by craigerSS View Post
    Good to know I don't have to remove the needles on my tach and speedo,but if I wanted to,how do they come off?I did try pulling on the speedo needle but was afraid if I pulled to hard I would do damage
    I don't know how they come off. If you don't remove the needle you have to make sure when you slide the needle through the hole you slide the face all the way to the post. I found out that if you don't have the overlay flush with the face it may not slide all the way to the needle post. The post that comes up and contacts the needle has a larger diameter where it joins the needle. If you have the edge of the hole in the gauge face against this wider are it will not slide over the other end of the needle. If that makes any sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast