Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Power Member

Default Converting to T-Top

I've been wanting to do this to my 82 Gt for a few awhile now. Just found a guy about a hour north of me that is actually doing it. Check it out...http://www.gtamc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19682

He is actually installing another roof clip instead of just cutting an existing roof and putting the top frame in that way.

Actually clipping another roof on always seemed a little scary to me. I never liked the idea of completely cutting through all the support structure to do it thats why when I had it done I had a body shop do the cutting and welding.

If you really want to do it then you are better off using your existing roof and putting in the top frame that way. It will look more factory.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Travis T

He's not even cutting it at the factory joints .

FEP Member

I hope he remembers to wear a raincoat.
    ...That.. that doesn't work for me. I gotta have more cowbell!...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T
    He's not even cutting it at the factory joints .
    I understand why he is doing it that way. Cutting there makes it easier to square everything up. As long as the welding is good it wont be a problem.

I should take a picture of the T-top roof clip that I have that was cut off another car. After it was cut off I noticed that it had been welded on the car too. I can show you what a real ugly clip job would look like.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Mustang Mike

Really hard to tell if it'll be a problem later down the road or not....One post he was saying that the four cars he measured were all different??
    Are all the tollerences that different from the factory?? I don't see factory welds being too far off...right??
    My.02

FEP Member

I have been elbow deep in cutting a t-roof into a solid roofed car. Do it the same way Cars & Concepts did it and you won't have a problem. Sectioning the entire roof is the absolute worst idea I've ever heard of. The roof section is held in by a lot of rivets, no welding, no glue, just butyl sealer. The car we did looks factory, the only reason you would know it's not is the car is an '89 coupe. In fact if the paint on the car is nice... keep it. You won't have to do any paint work at all. Little POR15 from a brush on the cut edges and the put the trim on.
    '81 Capri ??? (going under the knife, hope to have it in black epoxy by spring)
    '84 Capri GS T-top / '90 GT drivetrain and factory black interior.
    '86 GT vert - Everything you could see was stone stock, everything you couldn't, wasn't - taken by a DUI Hit&Run in 2001.

FEP Member

Hey Boomer... if you actually want to do it, let me know. I can help you with interesting details I found out when researching the idea.
    '81 Capri ??? (going under the knife, hope to have it in black epoxy by spring)
    '84 Capri GS T-top / '90 GT drivetrain and factory black interior.
    '86 GT vert - Everything you could see was stone stock, everything you couldn't, wasn't - taken by a DUI Hit&Run in 2001.

FEP Power Member

Thanks for the offer... I still want to do this conversion this summer or fall. Many people tell me not to do it, but I love the look of a 82 GT with T-Tops...and my car is in great condition and I think it's perfect for the conversion. I don't plan on ever selling it once I get it to my "Dream Car" status...Silver 82 GT with T-Tops, Recaro seats, AC, Rear Louvers and power windows...I'm almost there.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

hi i'm just about to do this conversion also any info would be helpful.tks bob

Wow, an 11 year old thread!

I have some info on my build thread here. I did the swap on my '79. If I had the chance to do it over again I wouldn't though.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Sometimes, I don't mind a revised ancient thread lol. This subject needs covered more often. I have an 82gt with aftermarket sunroof and I've been wanting a t-top car, but already have 5 foxes... so buying another one isn't feasible. I acquired everything I need, including a donor roof, trim, and t-top doors with glass. Doors are rusty, but I also have a set of vert doors to swap the glass into.

All I'm lacking is time and good weather.

I'm from BC a few provinces over and have been thinking of doing this also to a coupe I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I have an 82gt with aftermarket sunroof and I've been wanting a t-top car, but already have 5 foxes... so buying another one isn't feasible. I acquired everything I need, including a donor roof, trim, and t-top doors with glass. Doors are rusty, but I also have a set of vert doors to swap the glass into.

All I'm lacking is time and good weather.
    That's about where I am as well

'79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

You sir are an inspiration! I'd actually appreciate if you could do a video on the weather stripping, although I've read the manual too, I hear people always struggle to really get ttop roof sealed well with the repop kits available.

When I cut the roof of the donor car, i unwisely cut the windshield puller at the 1/2 height and the rear pillers just below the factory roof seam. I think I messed up whatever tracks hold the weather stripping to the front and back edges of the door glass??? Thoughts on solutions?

The weatherstrip retainers that mount on the A and B pillar mount with three self tapping screws. If you cut through them then I'd just try to find another set to install. They are made from extruded aluminum and not easy to replicate.

The last conversion I did I used actual Ford weatherstripping. I don't remember having any issues with that. This time I am going to use the aftermarket so unfortunately I'm going to have to learn as I go.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Keep your pals here on 4ep up to date on things. I'm anxious to hear how it goes with the weather stripping and any tricks you have to making it seal well.

Anyone t-top a fox thunderbird? I'm very interested.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

'79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

That will be great in you can get it done to your car. At Jeff's shop, I've seen a few 82 gt with t-tops and they looked amazing.

Thank you for the links. I will be looking foir a parts car for this swap.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    Again, thank you! Weatherstrip Channel install next?

Great work on the videos! I found and downloaded the water leak/weatherstrip guide for later use!
    Last edited by T-Top85GT; 03-25-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast