Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ascMcLarenCoupe

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxin22
    UPDATE: this is the only survivor of the 4 made. The other 3 were crushed as per the PPG exec that the car was bought off of way back in the 80's.....

<----crossing fingers
    PPG built four pace cars for the series but there weren’t four of these Mustangs made, just one. The other three PPG Pace cars that were built for the series in 1980 were from GM, Chrysler & AMC. So this Mustang is 1 of 1 built, not 1 of 4

Here is a picture of the AMC pace car:

Brent

good info... wonder if they were still crushed????
    83 gt t-top in 1000 pieces

I really do hope whoever gets it posts alot more pics.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Does anyone know if it still sports a Boss 302 powerplant?

The motor alone is worth more than the car.
    84.5 5.0 5spd Non-Air T-top AE
    84.5 2.3 Turbo 5spd w/Air T-Top AE
    03 Mach 1

FEP Member

I want to see under the hood of it. I hear cleveland heads were on them?
    1984 GT, 306, Weiand X-celerator, F-Cam, RHS heads, Pro-Billet Dizzy, BBK LT's, BBK X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth catback, Bullitt wheels, King Cobra clutch, Steeda sport springs, Steeda control arms, 3.73s...and much more...

Is anybody against a 100% "shell" swap for this car? Nobody in this thread has really mentioned it outright. It could be saved if all of the VIN plates + roof were swapped over to a 1980 Hatch shell along with everything else.

It would really have to have lost the majority of the floor pan and a Swiss-cheesy cowl before I would consider a body swap. This is a very touchy subject but I would do it if necessary, or if I even owned it which ain't gonna happen. I had a 65 A code fastback which I recently traded in for labor charges on my 86 7B SVO resto. It is a highly reputable and qualified shop which is going to do the entire front clip / cowl / floorpans swap from a coupe. They are cutting out and saving the VINs to go back along with the door tag.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P
    They are cutting out and saving the VINs to go back along with the door tag.
    Even pulling a VIN off a car is a felony. I learned this the hard way. A complete body swap is also a felony. I personally would never even consider one.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50
    Even pulling a VIN off a car is a felony. I learned this the hard way. A complete body swap is also a felony. I personally would never even consider one.
    Actually, complete body swaps are not
    1984 GT, 306, Weiand X-celerator, F-Cam, RHS heads, Pro-Billet Dizzy, BBK LT's, BBK X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth catback, Bullitt wheels, King Cobra clutch, Steeda sport springs, Steeda control arms, 3.73s...and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by Quick86
    They are, IF a "body swap" involves swapping VINs from one chassis to another. We've gone over this before, and quoted the federal statutes that go along with it:

http://www.foureyedpride.com/phpBB2/...hlight=#150762
    (Read from that post all the way to the end of the topic.)

VIN swapping, in any way, shape, or form, is I-L-L-E-G-A-L

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarko
    Did they do the factory 'Vert conversions too?
    Yes, they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarko
    Look, the T-Tops have metal on the very far outside, above the door. Were the factory ones like that?
    Yes, they were. But they weren't painted body color like on that PPG car. They were painted the same color as the body trim (belt mouldings, sail panels, door frames, front and rear windshield trim, side-view mirrors, drip rails, cowl vent panel, tallight center bar): Black ('81-'84) or Charcoal ('85/'86).
    Gotcha, I've still never seen a T-Top Fox in real life.
    Brian
    82 GLX
    EFI 302/AOD out of an 88 Crown Vic.
    Notchback.
    Marlo's Frame and Alignment
    Frame and Suspension Shop as seen in 5.0 Magazine, Mustang Monthly, Mustang & Fords, etc.
    All Mustang and Ford Club of So Cal

sandman

I'm new here but that PPG is a awsome find.
    Hope someone can rescue it.

So, I am guessing those are the same t-tops as the later cars? Look like it to me. Any new info on that car? Is the guy gonna sell it? Maybe he should come take a look at this forum so he realizes how much money it will cost to fix it and not think it is worth a million dollars. I really hope somebody can save that car.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

FEP Member

They are, IF a "body swap" involves swapping VINs from one chassis to another. We've gone over this before, and quoted the federal statutes that go along with it:

I wasn't talking about VIN, I was just talking about complete body swaps...

If body swaps were illegal - all those 4x4 Camaros should be crushed! Not that they shouldn't be anyways. haha.

I wasn't talking about VIN, I was just talking about complete body swaps...
    To perform a complete body swap you will have to move the VIN plates over to the new body which is in better shape. Moving VIN plates at all is seriously illegal. The only thing you could do legally is to move all the pace car parts over to the donor body but keep the VIN from the donor car intact. Which, what is the point of that? The last thing that car needs if for someone who doesnt understand the laws concerning this type of matter to get ahold of it because then the car has a very good chance of getting crushed.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

From what I can see, it really doesn't look all that bad. A good sheetmetal guy and a welder could fix it if it is all ate up. They can all be fixed.
    If it does need major donor parts, just install them in a way which doesn't necessitate the removal of any vin stampings from the unit body proper (use factory seams in all other areas). Legality is all about semantics...
    We're getting ahead of ourselves, without better pics of the car's lower portions. The black paint doesn't help. I almost wouldn't be surprised if the floor was still not split, under the rear of the driver's seat.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I'm going to keep this as short as possible and it will be my only response to this issue. I'm only responding since I've been "linked". Any car can be "rebodied" and maintain the original VIN. It can only be performed by a licensed / state approved repair facility and not just somebody in their driveway or garage. It must be photographed and documented throughout the entire process and inspected by a state official prior to paint. Receipts must be kept and shown for all "parts", including the donor car body which is technically a "part", and all other paperwork required by the state when it is licensed. It only becomes illegal if it is done with the intent to hide, defraud, or otherwise conceal for sale and profit or to try and process a previously stolen vehicle for resale. So long as everything is disclosed / provided at the time of any sale there is no illegality. I had contacted a legal firm I found in the front pages of Hemmings Motor News when this linked post was being discussed. The lawyer agreed with me on the phone but for me to get him to put it in writing was going to cost me $350. I've given up trying to prove things on webpages. I have better things to do with my money than throw it away on something I already know can, and is done regularly.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback

In NY there is no way to change a VIN plate legally to another car. Even if a liscensed repair shop is to do it. The only way something like that can be done legally is to have the NY DMV inspect the car and documents and then reissue a new VIN to the car which is a NY VIN and essentially voids the original VIN. For instance, the VIN on my silver car is now NY67917. I think different states may have different laws and regulations when it comes to things like this.

Anywho, I think we are getting off on a tangent in regards to this PPG car...
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

first off, i cant believe the hype this thread has created

and secondly, why is everyone so worried about vin switching and blah blah blah. Dont even know if the guy will part with the vehicle. i hope to hear something next week but im not going to be a PITA to his father and ask him every 2 hours if its for sale. As for people PM'ing me and offering $ for the car.... how about knocking it off until we get some word on whats going on. I dont care HOW MUCH $ you have, i wont talk to anyone until i at least know whats going on with the car and if i do get it i will check it over and clean it up and supply pics to anyone who is interested as i can not take on a project this big and complicated...... this guy might want 20k for the car... who knows, if its too steep for me i will try to hook him up with someone who can afford to save this car.....

and from what i have seen, i would not think any good resto shop couldnt fix this car. Getting the unique parts would be the hard part... not the metal

FEP Member

I was thinking... Nobody said you were taking a vin from that car and just putting it on another car... How are all those restos done where 1 car has a good body and they put it on another cars chassis....... Someone had better call the cops, Chip Foose is a felon!

Thats all I'm saying.. I think theres a difference... Yes, legally, you can not take the vin, cut it out of my car, and put it on another car....... It's different with full-frame cars though

The cars we are talking about are uni-body. You cannot re-body a uni-body car without changing the VIN. Also, Boyd Coddington got in big trouble for this very issue.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

FEP Member

The cars we are talking about are uni-body. You cannot re-body a uni-body car without changing the VIN. Also, Boyd Coddington got in big trouble for this very issue.

Exactly, uni-body is difficult... It'd require a full resto... I'm talking strip it down to just the chassis/frame, have it acid dipped, welded, acid dipped again, and sprayed... THEN you can work on the sheetmetal.

This car needs to be picked up by someone like Jay Leno or Tim Allen who would appreciate it and do it the RIGHT way.

Default holy crap.......a PPG PACE CAR

Whats with the gauge in the center where the AC vent would be? It would be cool if it was a boost gauge!
    84 GT Turbo T-Top
    85 ASC McLaren 5.0 SC Convertible
    93 F-150 Lightning
    80 Fairmont wagon (460, C6, 8.
    70 Fairlane 500, 302, 3 on the tree
    67 E100 SuperVan, 240, 3 speed

supposidly has 2 speedometers

Thanks to Capriman86 for posting the pics in the lost and found four eyes section

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast