Close

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

it would be up on here and the corral first for sure..... all on some if's....
    83 gt t-top in 1000 pieces

The mere fact that this car has surfaced amongst rumor and speculation is a wonder in itself. To go and part it and ebay it would put ME in tears. And I barely know a thing about it...

Like Skye said, there's a passion and a following for some of these foxes, let alone one of this magnitude. Hopefully someone with a big appreciation for the car and its history will get the opportunity to tackle the job at hand. The amount of work and money that would have to go into this project would be enormous but with the fox resto scene heating up as fast as it is, this car, fully restored properly and with all of its documentation, would be one of the hottest fox collector cars ever. Just think 10 MORE years down the road...
    1986 Capri RS w/ FRPP Z347BOSS crate

2011 F-150 SCREW ecoBoost FX4

that would be like the ultimite fox to fix up...because there is only one..but yea it would cost a bundle to restore it. so for someone with money please get it. dont let a butcher get it...how someone could let a car like that go to hell is beyound me...
    crusin cool, and now that I got a mustang,crusin fast too.....
    1986 Mustang SVO 1985 EXP turbo coupe

www.rioking.50megs.com

Put a fork in it. It's done. By the time you cut all the rust out, there won't be anything to weld to.

If you took a donor car and moved any of the unique pieces over to it, you could have a clone. But the original is done for.

This is the kind of car I was afraid of. The guy thinks it's worth something when it's not. He won 't sell it becuase it's "too valuable" and he won't fix it because it's too big of a project and "not worth it".

RIP.

-Mike

Im just really curious how the car "got out"...?

I met the pace car manager of PPG back in the 90's who had stated that the cars are usually either crushed by the manufacturer or carted off to other PPG facilities. There is no doubt ( in my mind at least ) that it is the car.

Just wondering, but the guy you bought th car from, is his name Paul, or does this guy know a guy named Paul that worked for PPG..? He was from the Pitts, PA area and has been retired for a few years now.
    Leader of the SVO World Order....."Where Liberty Is For Just Us And Not All. "

Neither here nor there

madmaxin22 if you could email me some hi res pics of this car that would be great.

I would like to add them to the Lost and Found Four Eyes section of this site

thanks
    Jeff

capriman86 AT gmail.com

all i have is whats posted on the corral... not real good w/ cameras, just glad to be able to get them on the net.....

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxin22
    all i have is whats posted on the corral... not real good w/ cameras, just glad to be able to get them on the net.....
    We all definitely appreciate you sharing this find with us and posting the pictures. It is certainly one of the more exciting cars that has come to surface.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

I believe it is a litteral "miracle" that one has been proven to have survived...

Someone needs to save it ;but must have the passion & deep wallet (as skye mentioned) to actually follow through.

True, most of the origional sheetmetal & half or more of the unique body work\cladding will have to be replaced. But, you can replace those things, carefully keep the car as true to origional as possible, document every step with pic's & stat's, & have a rare......nay.....Historic vehicle in your possesion.

Remember the one of twelve GM tour buses that went for 4 million at Barrett Jackson auction earlier this year? The restorer may never live to see that kind of money for his\her efforts; but will probably have the only surviving example of an extremely limited production vehicle for life to display to all interested parties. Trust me when I say magazines, friends, car show enthusiasts, & restoration experts would be in awe of your accomplishments forever.....

Anyone have $150G to loan me right about now?....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

That car is DEFINITELY worth saving. It was one of FOUR! It's quite possibly the only one left. That alone makes it worth the money to invest in it. However, anyone who sinks the kind of money into it that it needs, better be in it for the long haul. It won't be a car that you will make money on. So, you'd better restore it and then enjoy it for the next 25 years.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra
    It's quite possibly the only one left. That alone makes it worth the money to invest in it.
    It won't be a car that you will make money on.

Lol.

-Mike

Poor car is more rust than metal. Please someone save it! I could donate time and electrical know-how!
    Brian
    82 GLX
    EFI 302/AOD out of an 88 Crown Vic.
    Notchback.
    Marlo's Frame and Alignment
    Frame and Suspension Shop as seen in 5.0 Magazine, Mustang Monthly, Mustang & Fords, etc.
    All Mustang and Ford Club of So Cal

UPDATE: this is the only survivor of the 4 made. The other 3 were crushed as per the PPG exec that the car was bought off of way back in the 80's.....

<----crossing fingers

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

It's gotta be saved!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

This tale would make a great feature in one of the many classic car magazines that are sprouting up. It's too bad that things are looking so bleak.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

WoW, I don't even know what to say about that. I would give my left nut to have it. Literally... Somebody has to find a way to save that car. Gregpro put up a post on stangnet about it and not one response. Interesting how different these two sites are. If there is no way this thing will be sold it would be kind of cool to see it get overhauled. Hell the guy that owns it is allready in Ca. I don't think that you could do it justice in 7 days, also don't think they would be interested in doing it, too bad. Keep after him and see if they will budge

i just saw the post on corral and was going to link it here. hope you get the car
    '66 mustang coupe- 89 302ho T-5Z 3.80's

Quote Originally Posted by superhighoutput View Post
    well if they start sending me checks again,FREE DASH PADS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!

I just figured the more word that gets out about it then the more people will become aware of it and what it actually is. I personally would love to get it but I would also like to see maybe some kind of a car museum become interested in attempting to get something like that. Who knows what will happen to it but it is exciting to me that the car even surfaced.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Travis T

That car may not be as rusty as some of you think. I've had cars that looked serious, but turned out to be no more than what was visible. I wouldn't write it off without a thorough inspection.

Just from what I can see it doesn't look that bad to me. If I had a place inside to store it, and still had a job to afford it, I'd buy it in a second. This gets into that area of how much can be replaced, or heaven forbid that unscrupulous body swap, to save what is now the only remaining example of a specific vehicle combo. It reminds me of my Hertz SVO. It's a semi-repaired front end hit, with a bad roof. It's on page 3 of the SVO photo section sitting in my basement garage. You can see the roof is in primer as well as the entire front end ( hood is up ). The driver's inner front apron is "bowed" and thick bondo with rust is peeling up from the roof behind the sunroof opening. I expect to have to replace some fairly large sections of the body. On this pace car it looks like maybe some front clip / rad support work or replacement. The passenger door might be able to be re-skinned or just replaced. The door shell isn't anything special. It probably needs some floor pan / sub-frame work. There is a JY in north Georgia with several early T-top body shells. Depending on what work you could do yourself and what would need to be farmed out my guess-timate is 20 grand, maybe less. Is it worth it? I dunno... this car would be best put in a museum where the paying public could view it as a display along with maybe some other pace cars. Would it make a profit? Probably eventually but that is another one of those grey areas... Edit : There were only 12 Hertz SVOs built. Six went to Houston and 6 went to Dallas. It is guess-timated that only 6 at most are left. What are Hertz Shelbys going for nowadays versus 20 years ago? What would a PPG pace car be worth even 10 years from now?
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

that car is too significant in Fox Mustang history to be sent off to the scrap heap. plus theres only one of it left! that Mustang should be saved at all costs, even if it has to end up transferring the parts to a good shell
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Those are not normal T-Tops is the thing that's the problem. It;s like the 79 Pace Cars that were T-Tops. They were aftermarket installed. There were no factory T-Tops until 1981 on the Fox Mustangs.
    Brian
    82 GLX
    Notchback.
    Frame and Suspension Shop as seen in 5.0 Magazine, Mustang Monthly, Mustang & Fords, etc.

Cars and Concepts did the T-roof conversion for the three '79 Pace Cars. The same company that did factory and aftermarket T-roof conversions on '81-'88 Mustangs and Capris.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Did they do the factory 'Vert conversions too?

Look, the T-Tops have metal on the very far outside, above the door. Were the factory ones like that?
    Brian
    82 GLX
    Notchback.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarko
    Did they do the factory 'Vert conversions too?
    Yes, they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarko
    Look, the T-Tops have metal on the very far outside, above the door. Were the factory ones like that?
    Yes, they were. But they weren't painted body color like on that PPG car. They were painted the same color as the body trim (belt mouldings, sail panels, door frames, front and rear windshield trim, side-view mirrors, drip rails, cowl vent panel, tallight center bar): Black ('81-'84) or Charcoal ('85/'86).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast