Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default holy crap..... a PPG PACECAR

i bet half you guys dont believe this, but i just bought an 86 GT w/ 27k on it off an older fellow i work with. He has a bunch of mustangs sitting around and one tarped up. I heard him talk about this PPG car and how his kid is coming back from California to get it someday. I even looked at it a year ago when i originally looked at the 86....

anywho, i just realized how rare they were when i logged back into this site and saw the rare stang list. I saw the car, pretty much junk, w/ red, white, blue leather seats, almost positive it is the same car. I will try to get pics, info and a vin. but doubt he will part with it. Just a shame its in the shape it is........
    83 gt t-top in 1000 pieces

PICS!!!!
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

are any of them accounted for... might have a first

No, I think that is the first one I have heard of surfacing.

Take as many pictures of it as you can and GET THE VIN AND ANY OTHER CODES!

-Mike

Here is the vin #

will upload pics when i get home. The ppg emblems arent on the front fenders but i would bet it is one... has the deflectors between the hood and fenders, same style wheels, same color combo. last inspection was 1986....

F0F03D116534

LOOKS like a cursive style F before and at the end of the vin....

for comparison when i get home

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

i would imagine door tag data might be interesting as well?
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Blog Entries

That's the one.

Is the current owner's name Kevin?

I received an email from a gentleman named Kevin, he supplied that same VIN. I replied to him and never heard back. I'd love to hear from him again, or see anything and everything you can find...here's some of the email (personal info removed):

The Vin # on the car is 0F03d116534, Car was given to former PPG ExeVP Harold E. Bittle, Gibsonia, Pa. Engine was built by Wayne Gapp of Wayne Gapp Industries. Car sold to a local businessman and collector in 1986. I am the current owner. I can supply copies of titles, numerous posters and photos to prove ownership.

Thats who owns it, just talked to his dad about the car. been sitting outside for 5 years after 15 years in storage. Took a shot in the dark and told him to see if he wants to sell it. supposidly the motor is pretty wicked, interior doesnt look too bad either. Back end caught on fire at one point and melted the lights and bumper etc. Definately would take alot of money to bring back to life......

See if he wants to sell it or if he would entertain even the idea of selling it. Seriously. See if he might want to trade for something like a pace car or svo. That poor car shouldnt even be outside.

I dont have one of those cars yet.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50
    See if he wants to sell it or if he would entertain even the idea of selling it. Seriously. See if he might want to trade for something like a pace car or svo. That poor car shouldnt even be outside.

ya, its worth a shot. He is supposed to talk to his son. Who knows what he'll want, to me its not worth more than a few grand. To someone w/ alot of $ to waste on a project, who knows what its worth..... i can see why you dont have one of those yet, since this is prob. the only one ever sold..... i personally dont think he'll want to sell it.... pics coming in a few hours....

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

I have a Pavlovian drool cascading onto to my keyboard after seeing the pic........... I do not know why........
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxin22
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50

i can see why you dont have one of those yet, since this is prob. the only one ever sold..... i personally dont think he'll want to sell it.... pics coming in a few hours....
    I was joking. I dont know too much about the car other than the pic posted. I have no idea what it would be worth but it is certainly worth saving. Hurry up with the pics. I cant wait to see it.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

[/quote]

I was joking. I dont know too much about the car other than the pic posted. I have no idea what it would be worth but it is certainly worth saving. Hurry up with the pics. I cant wait to see it.[/quote]

Imagine the same car, but w/ half the stuff missing, 20 mice living inside, and it would weigh 1/2 as much because of the rot.... be patient, dont get home til almost 6 then i'll put them on the corral more than likely.....

That's so sad.

Guys this is going to be one of those really really sad cases where a guy thinks his pile of junk is a gold mine....no matter how much rust and rot it has.

It is too too bad since this car is probably one of a kind and has the documention to back it up too.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    That's so sad.

Guys this is going to be one of those really really sad cases where a guy thinks his pile of junk is a gold mine....no matter how much rust and rot it has.

It is too too bad since this car is probably one of a kind and has the documention to back it up too.

-Mike
    just like that 90 mclaren i bought during the winter that was 1 of 7 black w/ red interiors out of 65 total for that year, and was supposed to be one of the 10 silver annivery asc's. if it hadnt sat for 5 years it would have been rebuildable..... ppl do some stupid things w/ cars

link to the pics......................

http://www.corral.net/photopost/show...5&ppuser=58907

Blog Entries

Oh

my

God.

It's bad. Real bad. That's just gutting. It would take a superhuman effort to try to resurrect that car from the rust that's run so rampant.

Brutal. Sad.

Damn.

be an awesome car for wrecks to riches, or overhaulin

Wow. That thing's got rust in spots I've never seen a fox-body Mustang have rust before. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxin22
    be an awesome car for wrecks to riches, or overhaulin
    No doubt. A perfect candidate in my eyes given the rarity.
    1986 Capri RS w/ FRPP Z347BOSS crate

2011 F-150 SCREW ecoBoost FX4

WOW!!! Thanks for the pics. That is one of the most interesting cars I have ever seen. So what is the deal with it? Do you think he would be willing to sell it?

I would have to take a real good look at it to see if it is even possible to salvage that. All I know is that if it were a '67 Shelby in that condition that there would be people willing to shell out some serious money to attempt to restore it. It is definitely bad but I'm not so sure it is beyond hope.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

personally, i doubt he will sell it. He has taken vehicles to CA from PA before, one being an old bronco i believe. I think w/ a solid donor car it is definately doable. As for some of the ground effects and unique pieces. prob have alot of cash into custom work.... either way i hope to have first dibs. i'd love to know the specs on the motor are. I would prob do a recon and clean everything to show what is left to work with and ebay it... this is all on a bunch of IF's.... definately prob worth some ching in primo condition

Blog Entries

In order for it to be worth anything, there has to be a following for it. Realistically, no one even knows what this car is. A few people here, sure. Annnnnd that's about it.

That car, in that condition, being that it's been hit, it's got rot, and you said fire damage, isn't worth real world money. The serious outlay of cash and time that would be involved in bringing it back to life would show no return on investment. It's a car that would require a labor of love, not the interest of an investor.

In as-built condition, it is highly unlikely that it would be worth anywhere near what would go into the restoration it requires. The early Fox market is slowly building interest, and it's getting stronger, but it's nowhere near strong enough for true restoration profits.

People know, love and want 79 Pace Cars. Quite a few of them were made, they were cool, they were high-profile. They have a following.

I've found no other references to that car besides this site. I found that hand-out card by accident and that's what started my interest in the car however many years ago.

Ebay browsers would see a 'funny looking' rusty and bonked early Fox, and little more. I wish it were different, but that's how it goes for the current oddbally early Fox market.

oh no don't ebay it there's to many butchers there. That car has to stay together
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1986 Bronco 351ho
    VP Berks County Mustang Car Club
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462250

Seriously, if you end up with it let me know. If you are just looking to make some bucks on it or maybe want to trade it for something else then we may be able to work something out.

Like others have said, Ebay is a scary place for a car like that. It would be cool to keep something like that in the enthusiast community.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast