Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Hooptie
    Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    It's the demographics.

Pull together any group of 16-25 year olds and watch what bad things happen....ricers or not.

Carlisle typically appeals to an older (and yes, more mature) crowd.

-Mike
    Listen here Speds McGee, I'm 23 and do no such thing.

I respect other peoples property, and act as an adult.
    Congrats! Then you are in the 99% of the other people that went to the Carlisle import show and didn't cause problems.

Maybe the Import crowd brings an added negative element to the party...that could be true if you have some gang crap going on...but from that article, you could have relabeled the title "Spring Break Problems" and the contents wouldn't need changing.

-Mike

FEP Power Member

it is funny on how car shows have changed, when I was a kid, the old-timers had the respect, since they were the pioneers of hot rodding. I would see Mickey Thompson, Ed Iskidarian, Vic Edelbrock and many other big names walking around or signing autographs. There was a certain level of respect that was shown. The whole import tuner sceane does not have as deep of roots as the muscle car sceane. By nature, it is more of a anticulture. it is as extreme as possible, and it is not meant to be a family show. Imports are not meant to be liked by your dad.

A couple of years ago, the owner of a body kit company (the same people that make the black widow kits) had a Mustang at the Knotts Berry Farm Fabuols Fords Forever show. He tried to pull the same stuff that is done at a ricer show, such as playing the Training Day soundtrack at a volume level that you could hear the words mutha trucka clear as a bell 300 yards away. The clubs that put on the show has banned him and others that act that way. If NOPI wanted to improve their image, they would make it more of a family show, they don't want that, they want the hardcore sceane and the tough boy image. They feed on this publicity.
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

Too bad its not working for NOPI.
    Read recently for their Pro class they are allowing Pro class Mustangs play...guess people are bored with the same 5 cars making sub 7 second passes.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Quote Originally Posted by Hooptie
    Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    It's the demographics.

Pull together any group of 16-25 year olds and watch what bad things happen....ricers or not.

Carlisle typically appeals to an older (and yes, more mature) crowd.

-Mike
    Listen here Speds McGee, I'm 23 and do no such thing.

I respect other peoples property, and act as an adult.

Same here, except I'm 20. There's children and there's adults. Sometimes age doesn't factor into maturity. Those import guys are all a bunch of morons, most of whom know jack about cars. I wonder what the vendors sell at their swap meet? Bodykit parts? That'd be a change from all the bigblock and cleveland parts I see at Ford Nats.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Wow, I had no idea that there were so many of us "youngsters" on this site. That is really cool to see that I am not one of the few younger people on here. Plus, around my area, most younger people are into the 87-93's or them stupid bumble bees trapped in a folgers can sounding economy cars. I had no idea there were so many younger people into the four eyed cars.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by roller4v
    Risking a catastrophe ??????
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch

Mike Croke

It is the demographics of the age group. As a group, they are not yet wise enough to recognize they are buying into a lifestyle and image that big companies make a profit on. If you recognize that the people are always the same but the trend/lifestyle changes, you can see the common behaviors over the decades. The current trend is for them to have silly cartoon import cars. Those of us old enough to remember can recall the same demographic group years ago when they drove lowered mini-trucks. Before then, they were driving Novas and Camaros with shackled leaf springs and Lakewood slapper bars with the biggest tires available from Super Shops. Most IROC-Z drivers in the '80s were not serious about the performance but they sure tried to drive them like they were fast.

I wa pretty dumb at that age as well. I street raced, did burnouts, drove really fast all the time. As did many of my peers who were into cars at the time. However, what has changed with the current trand is glamorizing and embracing the criminal element. That aspect is what separates the present group from previous eras.

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lk4life6969
    Wow, I had no idea that there were so many of us "youngsters" on this site. That is really cool to see that I am not one of the few younger people on here.

Justin
    Heh, heh..... Think about that statement for a second. Why would so many young people have a foureye? I'd say almost 70%+ is simply due to you knowing or hearing of thier potential & the very inexpensive entry into this ballgame....

Same reason I own an aero. I had a wrecked 5.0 'vert & had only $500 to spend in my pocket. i of course found a 4 banger 'notch & broke out the wrenches....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Croke
    It is the demographics of the age group. As a group, they are not yet wise enough to recognize they are buying into a lifestyle and image that big companies make a profit on. If you recognize that the people are always the same but the trend/lifestyle changes, you can see the common behaviors over the decades. The current trend is for them to have silly cartoon import cars. Those of us old enough to remember can recall the same demographic group years ago when they drove lowered mini-trucks. Before then, they were driving Novas and Camaros with shackled leaf springs and Lakewood slapper bars with the biggest tires available from Super Shops. Most IROC-Z drivers in the '80s were not serious about the performance but they sure tried to drive them like they were fast.

I wa pretty dumb at that age as well. I street raced, did burnouts, drove really fast all the time. As did many of my peers who were into cars at the time. However, what has changed with the current trand is glamorizing and embracing the criminal element. That aspect is what separates the present group from previous eras.
    Uh oh...someone sees it!

Look at old Hot Rod magazines where guys would have a stock 305 with a small air filter, but they had this huge Pro Stock scoop, M/T Sportman tires(you know the ones that are 2 feet wide), a cage with tweed interiors.

Except some of those look good

For some reason the quality of this group is down the toliet in some areas...it was better in the Mini trucking era.

FEP Member

I had a mini-truck, kind of =P

Cept mine wasn't being built to be low 'n slow, it was headed towards getting a smallblock stuffer under the hood.
    1984 GT, 306, Weiand X-celerator, F-Cam, RHS heads, Pro-Billet Dizzy, BBK LT's, BBK X-Pipe, SLP Loudmouth catback, Bullitt wheels, King Cobra clutch, Steeda sport springs, Steeda control arms, 3.73s...and much more...

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

I wa pretty dumb at that age as well. I street raced, did burnouts, drove really fast all the time. As did many of my peers who were into cars at the time. However, what has changed with the current trend is glamorizing and embracing the criminal element. That aspect is what separates the present group from previous eras.
    I must admit that this is very true & well thought out.
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

I wouldn't expect anything less from Croke.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Super Member

Super shops....LOL

Now that brings back memorys. I was a store manager at a Super shops.
    "Thank you for calling super Shops home of the BFgoodrich radial T/A on sale for as low as 39.99".
    I still remeber the way we had to answer the phone.

Mike has some good points.
    How ever we didnt run around on shackles and air shock in H/S during this hayday. And the Fake Pro street look was pretty lame but back then a 12 second street car was the bomb. Heck the Fastest street car shoot outs only had like 2 10 second cars. All you had to do was run in the 11s to be competitive the first couple of years. Now 11 sec cars are the norm and nothing speciall and fast street cars run 9s or better.

I really dont think the rice crowd has the respect that we did for our and others machines. That and we never thought of it as a "Lifestyle". We where just a bunch of gear heads who tinkered with those old worn out cars.

I was in the middle of the 5.0 craze and was one of those young kids with the base ball cap on backwards racing the old guys in thier musclecars.
    The difference is that we respected the old guys and wanted to learn from them even if they hated our "plastic" cars.
    Now look at the 5.0 craze. Its still going strong 20 years later and the cars are faster than ever.

The rice craze is still big but the difference is that the cars are getting slower and the body kits even more hideous than 5 years ago.

For us its about the car, for them its the "Lifestyle".

Now there are true enthusiasts who choose to play with imports. They are not the rice crowd. They are just car guys like us that chose a different canvas to work with.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by twister
    it is funny on how car shows have changed, when I was a kid, the old-timers had the respect, since they were the pioneers of hot rodding. I would see Mickey Thompson, Ed Iskidarian, Vic Edelbrock and many other big names walking around or signing autographs. There was a certain level of respect that was shown. The whole import tuner sceane does not have as deep of roots as the muscle car sceane. By nature, it is more of a anticulture. it is as extreme as possible, and it is not meant to be a family show. Imports are not meant to be liked by your dad.

A couple of years ago, the owner of a body kit company (the same people that make the black widow kits) had a Mustang at the Knotts Berry Farm Fabuols Fords Forever show. He tried to pull the same stuff that is done at a ricer show, such as playing the Training Day soundtrack at a volume level that you could hear the words mutha trucka clear as a bell 300 yards away. The clubs that put on the show has banned him and others that act that way. If NOPI wanted to improve their image, they would make it more of a family show, they don't want that, they want the hardcore sceane and the tough boy image. They feed on this publicity.
    This is the exact reason that the Bandimeres said no to NOPI. Racing around here is a familly event and they didnt want anything to do with the thugs of the rice crowd or thier lifestyle.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    How ever we didnt run around on shackles and air shock in H/S during this hayday.
    Once again, minority. I knew a couple of kids that had air shocks on their hoopties. Knew kids that put glass packs on their cars only to warm um up and spray water in them to make them louder.

Its an endless cycle.

FEP Power Member

Mike, I agree, but it still comes down the the shackled Nova boys still respected the old timers that new more.
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

This whole society seems to have no respect for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mfpmax
    This whole society seems to have no respect for anyone.
    That sums it all up right there. There are some folks who still have respect for those who deserve it. However, there's an increasingly large segment of the population who "demands respect" but does absolutely nothing to EARN it, and most import enthusiasts (ricers) fall into this category.

Brian
    --Brian
    '86 SVO 1C Comp Prep - work in progress
    '92 2.3T hatch, heavily modded - totalled by hit-and-run, RIP

You gotta give respect to get it.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Quote Originally Posted by MurPHy
    You gotta give respect to get it.
    And nobody today is willing to give up jack squat for free.

Sorry, should clarify.

"Rice" encompasses both Domestic and Imported varities.

If you drive a Sunbird or Civic with a wing stolen off Big Daddy Don Garlits dragster, A 3/4 inch exhaust exiting into some six inch cavernous black hole with LEDs, Monster Tach with your auto, more stickers than Nascar, wear Gumby Pants with a flipped upsidedown visor you are rice.

If you are some dude with a Turbo 4 that you dig smaller displacement fwd/awd and attempt to extract maximum hp per ltr, you are just an enthusiast of a different cloth.
    84.5 5.0 5spd Non-Air T-top AE
    84.5 2.3 Turbo 5spd w/Air T-Top AE
    03 Mach 1

Maybe we've just been luckier in my area. We have a Monday night cruise night from May thru September that draws 600 cars on an average night. They put the ricers together in one area and no one has any problems. The sponsor of the cruise night has a simple rule - no booze, no burnouts, and no loud music. The cruise is sponsored by and adjacent to a salvage yard, so there's the implied threat, "Behave yourself or your car goes into the crusher."

Other than the ricers, all the cars are parked in the order that they came in. You can see a Corvette next to a Rolls-Royce next to a '23 T-bucket. There's something for everybody and it's fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12