Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So what kind of music do you listen to ?

I like just about anything from the '80s and '90s. Anything from Tool to James Taylor to Peter Gabriel to the Chilli Peppers.

I always thought Peter Gabriels Sledgehammer video was one of the best ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8H6jp2ZgGg
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

FEP Power Member

punk, jazz, classical, rock...no rap or urban yodeling
    down to two eyes

seller of the FIRST 4-eye in Modified Mustangs Magazine!

Blog Entries

This is a very dangerous question for me.

Right now, I'm in a Finnish folk-based metal and I-don't-know-what-to-call-it phase. I'm singing along to a lot of words I've little comprehension of (actually, there are translations and I'm learning a few words here and there, although it's stuff like the words for eyes and song and grey and things...).

I listen to a lot of metal. No NU metal, no hair metal (though I'm old enough to like a few hair/fluff bands from the 80s like Motley Crue and Def Leppard).

Everything from power metal to prog metal to black metal, things that are 'metal' that you wouldn't necessarily believe are 'metal.' I really think it's the most diverse musical branch out there.

I grew up on classic rock from the 60s-70s. Still like it a lot.

I like OLD, traditional country music.

I love funk and soul.

I appreciate the beauty of the blues.

I like traditional, and technical modern bluegrass.

I listen to pop music from India.

I heart 80s top 40.

I have music sung in Punjabi, Japanese, Estonian, Finnish, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Gaelic, Latin and more I'm sure.

You never know if you're going to hear 'trucker' music from the 70s (or even trucker music from AUSTRALIA) when you walk in, or Viking Death Metal. I could be listening to classic Genesis from the 70s, or the modern bluegrass stylings of Alison Krauss + Union Station. I could be rocking out to Falco, or chanting along to Blind Guardian. Or maybe groovin' to Bootsy Collins and then chilling out with Harmaa.

I love music, buy CDs CONSTANTLY, am always looking for a new musical experience, and am all over the spectrum. If I like it, I like it. I can't understand how anyone can listen to a narrow band of music out there when there is SO much to be discovered and enjoyed.

How's that for an answer?

Ok, I listen mainly to rap. But I also love the 80's hair bands, some metal, and the Stones rule!! I also like Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, and can't forget southern rock.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85
    I love music, buy CDs CONSTANTLY, am always looking for a new musical experience, and am all over the spectrum.
    Another cd collector, eh? That's what I like to read. How many do you have, Skye? I have been addicted to buying cds since they first hit the market, and am rapidly closing in on 5000 of them. Once I hit that mark, my goal is to stay there, and for every one that I buy, sell another.

My collection is filled generally with rock and pop, with an emphasis on 1970s-1990s heavy metal and punk.

[Note to the iPod Generation: I do not have an iPod and I do not want one. Half of the enjoyment of a cd is sitting down, listening to the entire album (not just one or two songs) and reading the liner notes.]
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Mmmm...yes...
    Possibly the only other person here who knows who recorded "Love Missile F1-11" and "Kaval Sviri"

'86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

Quote Originally Posted by 75coug
    ...Half of the enjoyment of a cd is sitting down, listening to the entire album (not just one or two songs) and reading the liner notes.]
    half the enjoyment of listening to an album was sitting down checking out the album art, liner notes, and trying to make a poster out of the sleeve if it was printed (some would have lyric/artwork)

Quote Originally Posted by slickshift
    Mmmm...yes...
    Possibly the only other person here who knows who recorded "Love Missile F1-11" and "Kaval Sviri"

Ah, the greatness of Sigue Sigue Sputnik, featuring Tony James (formerly of Generation X). And no, I did not need to internet to provide that info. I have the LP.

The second song you listed . . . I have no idea.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

I'm mostly rock....everything from (older) Aerosmith to Zepplin with alot of 80's hair-band stuff in there!! LOL (Hey, I grew up in the 80's!!) But I also love: country (old and new) anything old-motown, surfer stuff, and classic rock. Most recently I've been digging up alot of Rock-a-billy type stuff: Brian Setzer type stuff, Deke Dickerson etc. Alot of people are amazed by the variety of my collection, WIDE variety!!

Anyone heard of Caroline's Spine? VERY good band that gets overlooked alot. Great live performances too!! Later, RAY
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

FEP Senior Member

Mainly Blues, Folk, and Rock... But I have a wide collection of stuff... and will listen to almost anything that resembles music...

one exception... Barry Manilow... can't stand his voice...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by 75coug
    The second song you listed . . . I have no idea.
    Which was my point lol
    Not many would know them both

New country, modern rock, and some '90s rock and metal. Very little that's older than the mid-'80s, and stuff that old is mostly Social D, Tool, Bad Religion, etc.

Brian
    --Brian
    '86 SVO 1C Comp Prep - work in progress
    '92 2.3T hatch, heavily modded - totalled by hit-and-run, RIP

Blog Entries

Isn't Kaval Sviri a Bulgarian song? Like based on a traditional poem or something, I thought?

And do you know how many Sigue Sigue Sputnik videos are on YouTube? HAHA! I'd NEVER seen half of them before, and sat and watched them all. Ah the greatness of their badness.

We're not in the thousands yet, but probably are approaching a thousand CDs. I prefer to own the stuff, have it in my hand. It's cool having these objects from all sorts of unusual places. Imports from Germany and Japan, CDs brought back by a friend from Pakistan, it's just too cool. Plus, we've got a nearly ridiculous stereo with which to fully enjoy music.

The artists I like, I like well enough to support. A lot of the stuff is also actually quite difficult to find in MP3 format anywhere because it's just too strange. Who is going to have the entire Metsatöll Hiiekoda album available for download? C'mon. Not gonna happen. And, I can happily say that most of the artists I'm purchasing CDs of have nothing to do with the RIAA or anything of that nature.

Anyway, I did finally give in and buy an MP3 player. Mike did something to my brain to convince me that I wanted one. It was very odd. I use it while wandering around doing things, and I can use it when I am out doing yard work. Makes puttering around on the acre a little more enjoyable, while the headphones will keep me from frightening the neighbors with some of my musical selections.

Isn't Kaval Sviri a Bulgarian song? Like based on a traditional poem or something, I thought?
    I knew you wouldn't let me down

The Flute Plays
    It's a Bulgarian song
    The most famous recording (here, anyways) is by Ensemble Trakis

And do you know how many Sigue Sigue Sputnik videos are on YouTube?

Nope, no idea
    That's odd

Of course, I don't know what you tube is either
    lol

Must be people posting the videos, or it's super cheap to license them

Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com Behold. It has Sigue Sigue Sputnik. I used to have a SSS t-shirt. Yeah.

Between that and Google Video, I keep myself pretty entertained with some really weird stuff.

I like weird. Weird is good.

I'm going to have to hunt down some Bulgarian stuff now. I'm not very familar with it, haven't made it to that musical region of the world just yet.

gtluke

skye is the weirdest person i've ever met

Well in the last 48 hours I've "acquired" the top 100 rock sogns of the 90s, as well as a COMPLETE discography of Marilyn Manson(from his latest CD, back to Portrait of an American Family, single and demos from before then, singles, soundtrack songs, and more.)
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gtluke
    PFFT!

FEP Super Member

Country old and new and alot of 80s/90s thrash metal and punk.

DRI/Slayer/Anthrax/MOD/SOD/ Suicidal tendencies/Orange 9mm/Circle jerks etc.

I grew up on Black sabbath and Johnny Cash.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    I grew up on Black sabbath and Johnny Cash.

kyle
    Nothing wrong with that...
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

gtluke

Quote Originally Posted by gtluke
    PFFT!
    you passed croke years ago and you have finally eclipsed hooptie in your weirdness.

well my friends tend to call it kill your momma music.

slayer/slipknot/hatebreed/pantera/biohazzard/L7/kittie

but i also like j.cash /elvis (the king) and nina simone

Banned

I prefer blues and blues based rock, which includes alot of stuff. I have over 600 CD's in my collection...Deadwood and Foursix named quite a few good ones, here are some that if you like blues based stuff you might not have checked out yet...
    Old stuff..
    Fleetwood Mac before the women came along..(Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac)
    The Band
    The Savoy Brown Band
    Any Eric Clapton - from the Blues breaker, blind faith, cream, etc...
    Jimmie Vaughan (Stevies Brother)
    Creedence...(CCR)

New(er) stuff...
    Joe Bonamassa.
    Jonny Lang
    Robben Ford

I also have a thing for Surf music...
    Dick Dale
    Jan and Dean
    The Surfari's...............Wipe OUT!!!!

And early punk - Joan Jett, The Ramones, etc..
    The list goes on and on........

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

As I was growing up, I came to like a lot of the '60's-70's bands because that's what my dad and older sister listened to. The Rolling Stones became my favorite band when I was 11 or so (1979) and I began to collect a lot of their cassette tapes and started a scrap book collection of newspaper articles, magazines, books, concert tickets, etc.etc.etc. I stopped collecting all of that stuff when I was around 19 or 20. Their best era was when they had Mick Taylor as their lead guitar player (1969-1974.)

From there, I got into the entire British Invasion period with The Who, The Kinks, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin. All of these bands connected me to the fine art form of guitar playing and I discovered Eric Clapton and then Eddie Van Halen.

Once I discovered Van Halen, I began a crazy infatuation of excellent guitar playing and power rock. I got into bands like Journey, Foreigner, Night Ranger, Def Leppard, Metallica, Dokken, Ozzy (with Randy Rhoads), Joe Satriani, Billy Idol (with Steve Stevens) and David Lee Roth (with Steve Vai). For 10 years or so, I had my ear glued to the stereo, looking for that next great guitar player.

Then the 90's hit and grunge took over. It's not like I didn't like it (I actually loved Pearl Jam and Alice & Chains, and liked Nirvana) but the guitar solo era died instantly. To this day, I have to firmly say that Nirvana is the most overrated band of all time. While "Nevermind" was a masterpiece, "In Utero" was mediocre at best. They really only had one good album. It's ludicrous for magazines like "Spin" and "Rolling Stone" to constantly state that they were the best of all time. Led Zeppelin blows them out of the water as far as power, songwriting, great albums, and anything else that may come up in a comparison.

These days, I'm slowly going away from the loud music and find myself listening to GREAT songwriters. Artists such as Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon can all write a warm, heartfelt song that'll make you really think about life and all of it's complexities. Plus, they're great to listen to with the wife and family.

I do have to say that out of all the current hit making artists, Mariah Carey has to be right there at the top. She writes her own songs (sometimes with help), and sings like an angel. With a five octave voice, she has something that 90% of the artist couldn't posess if they had a voice box operation. She's one of the few on the radio today that actually has talent and isn't a star because of what she looks like (although she ain't bad either.)
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I have a record collection of about 300 45's,33's, and 12" promo stuff. Can't get enough classic rock. As for my favorites: Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Yes, Rush, The Police, Sting, Journey, Tears For Fears, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, any big 80's hits.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast