Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Senators want to give everyone $100 for gas...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/...ate/index.html

I read that on CNN this morning. What the hell would that accomplish? My grandmother who hasnt driven in two months would get it and me who puts $80 worth of gas into my truck almost everyday would get it.

It is just stupid. My grandmother with her honda civic would still be fine if the gas went up to $5 per gallon.

This country is run by morons.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

It is nothing but political posturing.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    It is nothing but political posturing.
    I agree.
    Plus they're wasting valuable air with all their mindless blathering.
    1984 LX Vert, 5.0/5-speed
    1970 Charger 500
    Assorted other projects that never end...

Blog Entries

But, there are scads of people who will see that and will say, "Hell yeah, gimme some money!" The funny thing is, they won't realize it's their own money they're getting back, really.

Its my money and your money going to people who wont need it.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

I could say the same thing about almost every government "handout" or "entitlement".

Quote Originally Posted by evlgt85
    But, there are scads of people who will see that and will say, "Hell yeah, gimme some money!" The funny thing is, they won't realize it's their own money they're getting back, really.
    That's the thing
    Where'd the Senators get the money?
    From us!

There are a lot of morons out there though, maybe they'll believe it's a "gift"

Every time the gov't "gives" you money it's just more proof they take too much from you in the first place
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis
    I could say the same thing about almost every government "handout" or "entitlement".
    This is one topic that FOX and I agree on 100% and 100% of the time.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

But if it's our money I would not turn them away if they wanted to give me it, 100 dollars is still 100 dollars, like another tax refund where they took too much from me there too...
    1981 Ghia Hatchback. 3.3L - 3 Sped Automatic (Sold and missed dearly)

1992 Dodge Shadow ES 3.0L - 4 speed automatic (Having issues and locked in the garage)

2004 Saturn Ion3 Quad Coupe 2.2L - 5 speed manual - New daily driver

Travis T

That's stupid. My parents probably leave the house once or twice a week, and I spend $400 a month in gas. What's so fair about that? Thank God my wife now works from home, cause it'd probably be $600 a month otherwise.

FEP Super Member

Ouch......... Thats gotta hurt.

We are spending roughly 180-200 a month and most of it is my fuel cost. The wife can go a whole month on one tank while it takes me two.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

I wish they would simply allow the oil co's to drill for more US oil and build some new refineries. The tree huggers havnt allowed us to build any new ones in 30 years. Demand has been growing greater than supply hence the super high prices as of late.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    The wife can guy a whole month on one tank while ti takes me two.

kyle
    So... your wife only takes one guy a month... but it takes two guys a month to satisfy you? :P
    Old Heavyweight Large Body Platform, two Muscle powered feet, that get traction from a set of size 12 generic shoes. Needs alot of bodywork, and hard to start in the morning... Used to be alot faster, but now does the 1/4 in 330sec at 2.7 mph.

Travis T

My job was 10 miles from home, now it's 45 for a much better work environment and pay. I didn't think about it too much when I took this other job, because it was only $150 or so a month for me to drive to work, which was no big deal with the raise factored in. $400 a month is almost another house payment. Too bad no one in congress cares.

FEP Super Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmike8
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil86lx
    The wife can guy a whole month on one tank while ti takes me two.

kyle
    So... your wife only takes one guy a month... but it takes two guys a month to satisfy you? :P
    ha ha. Keep picking on the disabled. :P

kyle
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

If they wanna give me $100, I say let them. Then I can get the fuel injectors for my 85!!

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT
    I wish they would simply allow the oil co's to drill for more US oil

Those are our "strategic reserves"
    We need some sort of reserve in case some nutjob nukes the big sand box, cordons of Africa, or takes over Venezuela and stops trade
    If that happens we can't just stop and switch to....corn oil

So the plan is (and it does have merit if your economy is based on dead dino juice and the world is full of nutjobs who hate you), use up everyone else's oil first

It's like, if you have three cookies, and kid at the end of the cafeteria has a dozen, and you have ten bucks, strategically it makes more sense to buy and eat his surplus cookies, while keeping yours in reserve

Quote Originally Posted by slickshift
    Those are our "strategic reserves"
    We need some sort of reserve in case some nutjob nukes the big sand box, cordons of Africa, or takes over Venezuela and stops trade
    If that happens we can't just stop and switch to....corn oil

So the plan is (and it does have merit if your economy is based on dead dino juice and the world is full of nutjobs who hate you), use up everyone else's oil first.
    Shhhh....don't tell anybody.

I've been saying the same thing for a while. Use up everybody else's oil and then see who has the power to embargo. It'll be interesting to see who talks tough after their cash cow dries up.

er... Oil Co's are global. They will drill for oil that will be added to the global market. Primarily the US. But building refineries in the US will speed gasoline production and reduce the overall cost to the consumer.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

This $100 will help out the average American about as much as that stupid $400 tax refund we got back in 2002. Unless you saved or invested it, it's gone and did no good except it put some money into the economy.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Nazi Germany increased its war production, and waged war for two years without any oil when it lost Ploesti and the Balkans.

Read up on the Fischer-Tropsch synthesis of coal to liquid fuels, i.e. gasoline and diesel.

http://www.fe.doe.gov/aboutus/histor...s_history.html
    84.5 5.0 5spd Non-Air T-top AE
    84.5 2.3 Turbo 5spd w/Air T-Top AE
    03 Mach 1

my capri is gettin a propane conversion, so how ya like that?????

i would like to do e85 (us produced from corn) but it is not legal for sale in florida yet

the think the nutjob to nuke the whole middle east should be US he he he

sgrew them, wanna raise the price on me???? i'll bomb your country and take your oil how ya like that?????

whatever happened to the good old days???? we would have done it 50 yrs ago..... in the 40's, we would have taken a million men and our whole military to the middle east just for revenge over 911, why not anymore..... it's not like we would lose, we have just lost the virtues and values that our country was founded on, my way or the booom booom way!!!!!

anyway, i think the oil companies should pay us back for ripping us off, exxon alone has posted a 10million, yes 10million dollar a DAY profit over the last quarter, up 69% from last quarter, if this is not gouging, i do not know what is
    Having no ASCII art is NOT cool

From what I've heard lately, I think that the government is the gouger. Oil companies make about 9 cents per gallon, while the state and federal governments are taking about 40 cents a gallon in taxes.

In regards to strategic reserves, we are not going to drain and use up foreign oil anytime soon.

We should be using ANWR and getting the 1 million barrels or so a day from it. Tree huggers are crazy...ANWR drilling would affect 1/2 of 1% of the total acreage of ANWR (2,000 acres out of 19.5 million) (http://blog.nam.org/archives/anwr-large.jpg). It is basically simple economics: higher demand requires higer supply or else prices will rise. Don't get me wrong, oil companies are making waaaay too much money, but there are many other things that can be done to alleviate the problem.
    1985 Mustang GT Convertible
    Stock and original @ 213k, except for dynomax ultraflos.

FEP User

every time you buy a chinese product; every time corporation outsources a job.......worldwide demand for oil increases........China and India are the two hottest car markets in the world today and they are competing for the oil today.............blame yourself everytime you don't buy AMERICAN.

It's not just oil either.........these booming asian markets are competing for and pushing the prices up for anything from concrete to copper.......ask anyone in the building trades.......even the price of scrap metal is fueled by China; all those container ships that haul all that WalMart stuff over here return home with American scrap metal and paper.

Welcome to the new world........we ain't going back.

Europe saw it coming years ago.......they tax vehicles by engine size or wieght (taxes don't go down with depreciation!).....it also encourages econoboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by mswwot
    Europe saw it coming years ago.......they tax vehicles by engine size or wieght (taxes don't go down with depreciation!).....it also encourages econoboxes.
    Some states here do the same for yearly (or bi-yearly) registration. New York state does. North Carolina goes by valuation for yearly property taxes on vehicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast