Close

Thread: Well pumps...

Default Well pumps...

I found out this morning it costs $1308.00 to have one replaced....

I guess I wont be bidding on that cobra now.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Well pumps? You guy's don't have city water pipe'd in out there in New York city? Seriously.... What is a well pump?
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

Good thing our pump isn't a requirement to survive. Didn't get run in awhile and locked up tight.
    No matter where you go, there you are

I've pulled my share of well pumps. Try pulling straight up 250-300 feet of PVC hose with a pump attached at the bottom. What a PITA.

My dad and I would start it going then my little brother would grab the top after a bit and would snake that thing around the house a few times while we pulled it out.

There's nothing worse than fixing the damn thing, putting it back down the hole to find it doesn't work again and having to pull it up again.

How old is the pump? If it's less than 10 years old, my bet is that your pump is probably fine. One of the wires busted. When those pumps turn on, they torque like an SOB and will snap one of the wires eventually. That is why they have they use various things attached to the hose to buffer that torque action.

-Mike

My pump was 29 years old and drawing way more amps than it should before it died. It was due. No way was I going to try to do something like this myself.

The guy's son is into mustangs so he is coming up for some spare parts I have this weekend so I may get some of my money back.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple
    Well pumps? You guy's don't have city water pipe'd in out there in New York city? Seriously.... What is a well pump?
    Sort of like this:
    http://members.aol.com/newfords4u/spepump.jpg

If you don't have city water, you have to get it somewhere. So you drill a hole in the earth and stick a pipe down it with that pump at the bottom.

In upstate NY, wells are between 150-350 feet before you hit the water table.

-Mike

Mine is 133 feet deep. I like well water because it doesnt taste or smell like chlorine.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50
    My pump was 29 years old and drawing way more amps than it should before it died. It was due. No way was I going to try to do something like this myself.

The guy's son is into mustangs so he is coming up for some spare parts I have this weekend so I may get some of my money back.
    Make sure you have the guy check all the wiring or put new wiring down while they're at it. Like I said, nothing sucks more than to have to pull those bastiches out twice.

-Mike

He already installed it this morning. He had to put in a new pump, 130' pvc pipes, new wires, and a new pitless adapter so everything in there is new now.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

He already installed it this morning. He had to put in a new pump, 130' pvc pipes, new wires, and a new pitless adapter so everything in there is new now.
    All worth it in the end.

I'm not sure that the PVC pipe was necessary. I know we've pulled at least 4 different wells in the village where I grew up and none of the hoses were in need of replacement.

-Mike

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Man.... Learn something new every day.... I'da thought maybe out in the middle of nowhere U.S. of A.....But, I'da never imagined that you'd need a well pump in New York.....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

... I'da thought maybe out in the middle of nowhere U.S. of A.....But, I'da never imagined that you'd need a well pump in New York.....

Well, water isn't so much an issue in the North East as it seems to be for you left-siders
    And New York State is huge
    NYC is a small, small, small, part of New York
    Lot's a people in that small part, but it's small

I'd say 3/4 of the houses I've lived in had wells here in New England
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

I helped my friend pull a well pump last winter. He's a plumber and was short handed so I filled in. I though I was never going to see the end of that pipe. It turns out that the pump itself wasn't bad, it was the check valve.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

Man.... Learn something new every day.... I'da thought maybe out in the middle of nowhere U.S. of A.....But, I'da never imagined that you'd need a well pump in New York.....
    NYC is a TINY ASS part of NY State. A very very tiny part. The majority of the state is rural and there is nothing like city water or sewage.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm

I'm not sure that the PVC pipe was necessary. I know we've pulled at least 4 different wells in the village where I grew up and none of the hoses were in need of replacement.

-Mike
    The PVC pipes were all cracked where they joined together and it was letting air in the system. It is nice now because when I turn the faucet on it doesnt spit and sputter until the air works its way out of the system.

BTW they guy called me back and wants my capri parts car and a turbocoupe rear. He is going to take $800 off the bill. YAY!!
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    NYC is a TINY ASS part of NY State. A very very tiny part. The majority of the state is rural and there are nothing like cuty water or sewage.

-Mike
    Yep. I live out in the sticks. It is only a few minutes from binghamton but I have 10 acres and no nosey neighbors and can ride my atv around the yard naked at night drinking a beer if I want to.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

but I have 10 acres and no nosey neighbors and can ride my atv around the yard naked at night drinking a beer if I want to.

You need to be waving around a Firearm to complete the visual LOL

...guy called me back and wants my capri parts car and a turbocoupe rear. He is going to take $800 off the bill.
    Sweet
    Well that worked out well
    '86 GT that technically doesn't exist
    With Accessory Reserve Load Springs
    Accessory Reserve Load Springs...Whooo Hooo!

Quote Originally Posted by slickshift
    ...guy called me back and wants my capri parts car and a turbocoupe rear. He is going to take $800 off the bill.
    Sweet
    Well that worked out well
    No kidding. Hey Greg, now you can get that cobra. J/k.
    Matt

1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed manual.

Lot's of water here in Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by CapriGT
    but I have 10 acres and no nosey neighbors and can ride my atv around the yard naked at night drinking a beer if I want to.
    You need to be waving around a Firearm to complete the visual LOL
    ha-ha!!!
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"