Close

FEP Super Member anthonydalrymple's Avatar

Default Who else gets drag strip "DT's" & for how long

I can't go more than 4 weeks without hitting the dragstrip, period. I shake after 2 weeks max. It all started about 20 years ago while i was in the Military...yadda.....yadda....yadda.....
    '89 5.0 5-speed 'vert, seeing rust for the 1st time in it's life as well as 4,500+ elevation....

I hear ya bud. It started for me about 20 years ago to. Usually every spring I buy a new car and race it all summer but this year I dont have anything to race and im going crazy.
    Last year it got so bad that I had to race my new 05 GMC work truck just to get a fix.
    A bunch of 85gt's

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I've got it but can't do too much of it due to lack of money. The track is 2.5 hours from my house so the gas money just to get there is absolutely ridiculous. Add in breakfast and lunch and you have an easy $100.00-$125.00 day.

If the track was 10-15 minutes from my house, I'd probably go every Friday night. The $25.00 entrance fee would be manageable, the gas would be cheap and the food would be a non-issue as I'd eat at home and then head on over.

I keep eyeing the Bristol Tennessee area for relocating purposes as I know they have a dragstrip and a Nascar track. If/when I do move, I think that's the area that I want to go to.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Since i live like 5 minutes away from the track...you guys can figure where i hang out on Thursdays on warm summer nights...
    1986 SVO: turbo'd fun!
    SOLD:'82 MUSTANG GT: 88' HO, 5-spd, 3.73s, & 17" Borbet Type-A wheels... and other goodies
    RIP: '82 Mecury Capri 5.0 : good times.....
    1969 Chevrolet Chevelle: "the other four eye"

I got started at the track about 4 years ago now, racing my dodge dakota... ran high 14's, so it was respectable... and I love it. and its been way too long since I've gone, I hate living in wisconsin....
    83 ttop original paint capri rs
    2001 Explorer motor.. stock! hoping to break in to the 14s

really havnt been yet seeing it because of the same reasons Hissing explained....too much money
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 4v HO Light Regatta Blue - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra
    I've got it but can't do too much of it due to lack of money. The track is 2.5 hours from my house so the gas money just to get there is absolutely ridiculous. Add in breakfast and lunch and you have an easy $100.00-$125.00 day.

If the track was 10-15 minutes from my house, I'd probably go every Friday night. The $25.00 entrance fee would be manageable, the gas would be cheap and the food would be a non-issue as I'd eat at home and then head on over.

I keep eyeing the Bristol Tennessee area for relocating purposes as I know they have a dragstrip and a Nascar track. If/when I do move, I think that's the area that I want to go to.
    I grew up in your area and I moved to va about 10 years ago and my only regret is that I didnt move here 20 years ago. I live about 2 hours north of Bristol . There are 5 tracks within 1 hour and 3 more tracks within 2 hours.
    My problem is that I own my own buisines and dont have time to go racing anymore.

Oh ya it was 77 and sunny today. What was it in whareham today. :P
    A bunch of 85gt's

I havn't been to the track in at least 2 years because its an hour and a half away and I have to take off from work to go.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

I haven't been there since last August. I've got the shakes real bad. I need my fix man!
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

I grew up 30 minutes from a pretty well known track, Cordova Raceway, in IL, and now live within 5 minutes of OSW here in Orlando. I think I've made about 15-20 passes in my life.
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

Default i miss the track

we tore down our car after the fall mustang day back in 04. w/ delta going the way it is for my partner and me and my wife both gettin laid off racing wasnt feesable. now i just go and watch my friend run open comp and dream of one day doing it again myself. ill miss those days between 2 best friends having fun at the track. and i second the motion of hissing moving to TN. i want to see that car in person and thats alot closer and atlanta would be even better because we have 2 1/4 mile strips here if you stay in the middle.

I haven't ever been to a dragstrip, but I know I'll be instantly addicted as soon as I try it. Hopefully the '89 and I will make it this summer...
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch