Close

FEP Member

Default The Long Awaited Pics!!!

As most of you know I picked up an 85 McLaren vert for a steal ($2200 ) a few weeks ago. This thing is pretty much mint with only 55,000 miles. Few small things need to be fixed here and there. I promised some pics and I finally have them. Sorry for the crappy scenery but its not registered yet so the driveway will have to do.

(I know these are pics so if a mod wants to move them to the Car Show section, no hard feelings )

Tom
    1986 LX - Sold
    1990 LX - 2.3 Turbo (FOR SALE)
    1985 ASC McLaren vert #116 - Sold to Red390GT
    2006 Mazda 3 5-door (Daily Driver)

FEP Member

A few more . . .

I have the origianl air cleaner which is off to be restored. And those yellow wires will be gone ASAP.
    Tom
    1986 LX - Sold

FEP Member

One more of the newest toy to be added to the bunch

Tom
    1986 LX - Sold

Hooptie

Ninja twofiddy?

Supposed to be absolute hoots to ride.

FEP Member

Haha, yep its only a twofiddy. Its my first bike of my own and I wanted to start small to gain confidence and skill. I figure I'll rack up the miles going back and forth to school, and take my MSF riding course. And then when I'm more confident in my abilities move up to a 600cc or bigger. Its a great little commuter bike and really forgiving.
    Tom
    1986 LX - Sold

Nice ride!!! Are those speakers in the headrests??

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Is that rust on the quarter panel near the truck edge?
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins89notch5.0
    Yea, just surface rust. He backed into his fence and dented it which rubbed off some paint and formed surface rust. I am getting it fixed at Manny Bugina's Modern Auto Body shop next week. Thats the only rust on the whole car including the undercarriage.
    The other problems are the top needs replacing, need a new Drivers side window, and I need the woodgrain dash overlays. And having the bumper cover color matched and resprayed.
    Tom
    1986 LX - Sold

FEP Member

$2200?? your a thief, lol good luck... oh and forget the bike, these days on these roads, your only asking for trouble... spent 6 months in a chair learning to walk straight again and the last four years healing. I don't think i will ever be the same... all because the dude driving in front of me paid me no mind... nobody cares about the guy on the bike
    ~Killr
    1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L-Gray (under resto)
    1986 Mercury Capri 5.0L

Quote Originally Posted by sk83r005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevins89notch5.0
    Yea, just surface rust. He backed into his fence and dented it which rubbed off some paint and formed surface rust. I am getting it fixed at Manny Bugina's Modern Auto Body shop next week. Thats the only rust on the whole car including the undercarriage.
    The other problems are the top needs replacing, need a new Drivers side window, and I need the woodgrain dash overlays. And having the bumper cover color matched and resprayed.
    REMEMBER THE PAINT IS SIKKENS! NOT PPG!

PLEASE! ask BEFORE you do ANY WORK on the car! You will be surprised at the subtleties you have to be aware of!

The repro woodgrain overlays I don't think are correct. If you can salvage the originals, their grain and material are noticeably different.

-Mike

The top I think can be purchased by Hank in FL. You NEED to make sure you get the correct style top! There are several styles and the earliest style is what you need I think. It is worth the effort as the differences are very noticeable.

-Mike

holy crap, there were vert capris? i imagine that only mclarens had the vert option. are those speakers in the recaros?

very nice, btw
    '85 Capri RS - sold
    '08 Colorado - thank Christ its gone.
    '98 Cherokee - Current broken DD
    '00 Mustang GT Vert - sold.

"The most compelling reason for you to own a
    Capri is no reason that can be put into words.
    Call it a touch of sexiness. Or a touch of mystery.
    Or perhaps a touch of magic."

Quote Originally Posted by 85 Capri RS
    holy crap, there were vert capris? i imagine that only mclarens had the vert option. are those speakers in the ricaros?

very nice, btw
    Yes, the only vert Capris are the ascMcLaren 84-86 verts.

There were a FEW EARLY vert Capris made by AHA and such.

FORD/MERCURY made NO vert Capris that I know of.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    The top I think can be purchased by Hank in FL. You NEED to make sure you get the correct style top! There are several styles and the earliest style is what you need I think. It is worth the effort as the differences are very noticeable.

-Mike

I saw them advertised on 5.0resto today, might be wortha a look see.
    1985 Capri RS

get the top from hank, he has them, and knows what you need, he is the only guy in the world that reproduces asc parts

ascmclaren.com
    Having no ASCII art is NOT cool

FEP Member

I'm getting the top, dash panels, and driver's window from Hank ASAP.

I also will be around during the whole paint repair process. Manny's a good guy and all of you should know him from being on the cover of Muscle Mustangs a few months ago with his NHRA car. His shop does the best work in Massachusetts and he knows his fox-bodies.
    Tom
    1986 LX - Sold

I'm getting the top, dash panels, and driver's window from Hank ASAP.

I also will be around during the whole paint repair process. Manny's a good guy and all of you should know him from being on the cover of Muscle Mustangs a few months ago with his NHRA car. His shop does the best work in Massachusetts and he knows his fox-bodies.
    PLEASE understand that not everything Hank has is the same as original. He has run out of many things and has done is best at obtaining or reproducing replacements.

The window and tops I think are OEM parts and should fit correctly. Make sure he knows you NEED the correct style top. Do *YOU* know the correct top style? It pays to understand what you want to get from Hank.

However, ask about the woodgrain dash panels. I think he has had to reproduce them and I don't think those are the same as what you would have originally on your car. He *may* have some original ones squirreled away and they won't be cheap if he does. That is your judgement call. If you do have the original pieces and they just fell off, they CAN be repaired and restored. The originals are TRUE WOOD. They can be glued/sanded and refinished/flattened, etc just as any good wood restorer should be able to accomplish.

-Mike

FEP Member

As far as the top goes, I will be sending pictures of the existing top, which is original although it has rips, etc. That way I can assure that I'm getting what I need. I need the earlier style top as my car was an early 85 car. The windows are OEM but the fit should be perfect.

Regarding the dash panels, I do not have the originals. The plastic panels are there but the wood has been seperated from them. The adhesive remained on the plastic panels. I will most likely have to go with these:

http://ascmclaren.com/PARTS/New%20Fo.../woodgrain.jpg

I know they are not original, but I'm pretty sure thats my only option as of rite now. From what I understand these are not real wood. If he does have some real wood stashed away, I will definately be interested in them. I haven't talked to him as of yet though.
    Tom
    1986 LX - Sold

There are places that make true wood overlays for these cars. If you want to go that route you could do that too....but the grain won't match either. The 1985/84 cars had them screwed into place I believe and not glued.

If you don't have the originals then I would probably just go with the repros that Hank has, they will look fine.

-Mike

Manny's a good guy and all of you should know him from being on the cover of Muscle Mustangs a few months ago with his NHRA car. His shop does the best work in Massachusetts and he knows his fox-bodies.
    manny buginga is the man. Easily one of the baddest racers coast to coast (on 10.5's no less). Sticks with the foxes, and doesn't bail like the rest of the pro racers.

nice deal on the car.
    1984 Capri RS - 503rwhp/558 Ft/tq on pump gas
    1986 Mustang GT Convertible - 40k, all original

Heh heh... those built-in-headphone Recaros are da bomb!
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by f4fntm
    Heh heh... those built-in-headphone Recaros are da bomb!

that whole car is da bomb diggity

He is a lucky bastid