Close

New User

Default 2006 Mobil 1 World Ford Challenge May 18-21 St. Louis, MO

Anyone planning on attending the 2006 Mobil 1 World Ford Challenge at the Gateway International Raceway in St. Louis, MO? Some friends of mine are planning on caravanning up there and asked me if I wanted to take my Capri and join in on the fun. I haven't got all the plans from them and haven't decide if I'm going yet, but it sounds like a good time.

Here's some links to the event.

http://www.gatewayraceway.com/calend...=411&archive=0

http://www.worldfordchallenge.com/

From what I've heard so far, the food and drink is pricey so tailgate if you can. Sounds like coolers are welcome inside if you want to drag one around all day. There's a swap-meet with lots of vendors. There'll be lots of show quality rides to check out ranging from personal rides to race cars. I believe some top rank drag racing will be taking place all day long.

If I go, see you there.

I'll be there. Where are you from Gene? I see your in So. ILL.

Tim
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD

New User

Hey Tim, I live in a small town called Eldorado. It'll be roughly a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive to the car show. My friends that have gone in the past live 7 miles away in Harrisburg. There might be a couple of newer mustangs in the grouip going. One guy has a wicked stang but it's not ready for the trip so he's going to take a cargo van with some equipment for cooking out and extra space for anyone that brings parts back from the swapmeet. If I go, the only thing I'm not looking forward to is the long drive in the humid heat we usually get. My Capri hasn't been retrofitted with the R134 AC fluid so I'd be driving with the windows down. Will you be driving the white stang I see in your avatar? That's a pretty sweet looking ride.

FEP Power Member

I'm planning on attending but still need to reserve a hotel room for the weekend. Anyone have suggestions on where to stay? The host hotel or something close to the track?

thanks,
    Zen
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

New User

I was told finding a hotel to stay at could be difficult. It sounds like this thing is pretty big. All I can say is look on a map and start calling hotels in the surrounding towns.

Gene, thanks for the compliment on my car. I plan to drive it there if I can get it back together. I know right where Eldorado is, been there a few times.

Zen, I'd suggest looking in Fairview Heights, O'Fallon, Collinsville or Centreville for hotels, all these are in IL. If you can't find a hotel at those places, try Okawville and Nashville. These are smaller towns east, probably a 45 min drive to track or so. Hope this helps.

Tim
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD

FEP Super Member

I wont be going this year. to many things to get done and I used my vacation on familly stuff.

The last two years we stayed in Caseyville. It's like 10 mins to the track.

Expect to see some fast street/race car's. Also bo on the look out for a bunhc of 10 and 11 sec 2.3t powered vehicles SVO/Mustang/Pinto etc.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    I was told finding a hotel to stay at could be difficult. It sounds like this thing is pretty big. All I can say is look on a map and start calling hotels in the surrounding towns.
    we always stayed in Collinsville, I believe its spelled

good luck

I wish I coudl go, but finances are saying no
    83 ttop original paint capri rs
    2001 Explorer motor.. stock! hoping to break in to the 14s

Not sure in what yet but I will be there.
    We are staying in Maryville.
    And WFC is huge!
    Been there almost every year, tons of fun!
    1985 SVO-all Stock again
    1980 Cobra- efi 302, single T66, built aod, 8.8 etc
    1987 LX- 2.3T 8.8,4 whl disc
    1965 Coupe,89 Bronco
    Proud Father of a beautiful Little Girl with Down Syndrome
    Please Help Ban the R word! http://therword.org/

I will be there. Hopefully with my mustang, trying to get it finished right now. I live about 45 mins away so I just go home and sleep in my own bed.

Like I said hopefully I will have the mustang done so if you see a (get ready for the big fancy paint name) metallic blue 1983 Saleen style mustang GT with T-tops stop by and say hi.

Also I have lived in the general area for a long time so if you need a guide just let me know.

Ron