Close

Default SCM's take on Fox Mustangs

Don't know if this has been posted before, but here's what the custom-fit-leather-luggage-and-string-back-driving-gloves set thinks of our cars:

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/affor...stang-5.0.html

Interesting read. IMHO, investment "grade" and remarks on collectibility are a bit short-sighted, high production numbers or no.
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch

Instead of "custom-fit-leather-luggage-and-string-back-driving-gloves set", you could have just said bourgeoise.

Interesting read.
    1990 Mustang LX 5.0 - Ran into a tree (fixed!)
    2005 Ranger XLT 4x4 - Daily Driver/Tow vehicle
    1992 Mustang LX 2.3 - MPG baby yeah!
    1994 Explorer - Fix 'n Flipper

Mike Croke

They are incorrect on several points of information but correcting them will not alter the conclusion of that article. Fox cars are not going to be highly prized from an investment standpoint.

Blog Entries

SCM is my favorite magazine right now.

I'm not exactly whatever that whole hypenated long thing was, though.

Also, they're speaking in general on the investment angle. Overall, I agree with them, though.

Funny how they mention SVT but not a word about SVOs or Saleens... not surprised though.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

they did kind of mention Saleens, but nope, i didnt not mention the unloved SVO.

i am in fact writing a small report about the SVO and as soon as i have it finished, i'll post it
    1985 Ford LTD LX. 4 eyes, 4 doors-cobra powered
    2006 Ford F-150 Ashley/Smith special edition--the "daily driver"
    1986 ford mustang SVO--a man can always dream right?

Default Re: SCM's take on Fox Mustangs

Quote Originally Posted by idiot magazine writer
    As a future collectible, 5.0 Mustangs have little potential.
    What a gaytard. He couldn't be more wrong. Yeah a lot were made, but that is because they were INCREDIBLY POPULAR. No, a classic 1980s icon will make a poor collectible. Yeah ok moron.
    2R '85 GT 'vert - VIN code M fuel injected 5.0 HO

The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
    - William James

They will be collectible. I have already seen some T-top '82 GTs sell for some insane money on ebay. The SVO's already seem to have a strong following. As the people that grew up around these cars start getting older I'm sure you will see examples of people wanting to re-live their youth and be willing to shell out some money for them.

I think the 60's mustangs were cool but I didnt grow up around them so I dont have much interest in them.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I think he needs to come back to reality. I feel that he's comparing them to high dollar cars such as Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Porche's, etc...etc...etc... They're not in the same league.

Now, onto my next rant. They ARE becoming collectible. Yes, you can buy them both cheap or expensive. It all depends on the quality of the car that you want to buy. Stating that they'll never be collectible is like saying the original '64-'70 models aren't collectible. They made hudreds of thousands of those models too yet today, they're highly sought after. Even the early model Volkswagon beetles are highly sought after these days and they made MILLIONS of 'em. This guy definitely has to come back to earth.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Get back 25 years ago, when 1st gen where as old as Fox now ... they were not as valuable as they are today as collectibles ... same thing happens to Fox ...
    Fox might never be as collected or as valuable as 1st gen, but who can say where we'll be in 20 years ...
    '79 Pace Car 5.0 (well 4.2 until better days)
    '80 Capri 2.3 (sold ) - '79 Hatchback 2.3 (sold ) - '80 Notchback 3.3 (junk yard )

Blog Entries

Guys, I think most of y'all are missing the point of the article.

1. It was a general overview of the 82-93 5.0 Mustang.
    2. It was not discussing any non-5.0 cars, nor was it going to get into depth about any low-production specials.
    3. They are NOT, in general going to be future Barrett-Jackson stars. There were simply too many made, especially given the sameness of the 87-93 cars.
    4. If you think that all 5.0 Mustangs in general are investment grade material, by all means, sock some of them away, but you're not going to see a significant ROI unless you find something virgin pure for cheap and maintain it's non-existant mileage status and bone-stock-edness.
    5. That article didn't say much of anything WE OURSELVES say when we try to make someone understand that they're not going to get rich at this hobby.

Y'all might want to put the article in it's proper perspective.

Note all the things of this nature that are said:

A 5.0 Mustang is among the best bang for the buck in performance available.
    As with any inexpensive car, your best and only bet is to look for a low-mileage, clean, adult-driven car. Even if you pay $1,000 over a price guide listing, you'll get it back immediately in driving pleasure.
    They won't cost anything to own, will smoke tires with the best of them, and will be easy to sell when you're done.
    Those aren't exactly insults. They're laying it out, realistically, for someone looking for a cheap, fun car who is not familiar with the breed, and they're encouraging people to try it.

As for the 'negative' points...it's not like stuff like this is untrue:

The downside of this performance potential is that 5.0 Mustangs are generally used and abused until thoroughly dead, and left to melt into piles of iron oxide in the driveways of would-be boy racers' parents.
    How many times have ALL of us seen things that live up to this statement? I know I've seen it more times than I care to remember.

Though 5.0 Mustangs are generally reliable, in that they run forever and are cheaper than dirt to fix when they break, Ford's attention to detail in fit and finish was marginal at best.
    Think no one on this board, or others, hasn't said this very same thing? C'mon.

As a future collectible, 5.0 Mustangs have little potential. Over a half-million were made, and even the special editions weren't really very special.
    Think about this...what really sets most of the 'special' 5.0L cars apart? Color options? The 25th anniversary cars got a notation on a dash ornament. The 'Spring Edition' or whatever they were, those white wheeled LX 'verts, again, no big hop-up parts, they weren't faster, they just looked a little different. A little. Other than the Saleens, what 5.0L powered special cars were there 87-93? Um....The Cobras. And, yes, those are at the forefront of most Fox enthusiast's minds. Especially given the article's scope of being 5.0 cars only.

They didn't say the cars weren't fun. They didn't say the cars weren't fast. They didn't say the cars weren't cool. They merely said to not expect to get rich off of them. They aren't even comparing them to the high-dollar cars that frequently grace their pages (although they FREQUENTLY have such exotics as VW buses and the like).

Again, if you think there's going to be quarter-million run-of-the-mill 5.0L-powered Foxes, that article brings you back to reality, it doesn't insult the cars. The article didn't say a single thing you can't find dyed-in-the-wool enthusiasts explaining to folks new to the hobby.

FEP Super Member

Steeda made aero fox stangs.

kyle
    Also, do not be so quick to judge someone's comments as being derogatory. It is often difficult to interpret someone's intentions having only text and no body language or tone of voice to guide you.
    "If road racing where easy it would be called drag racing"
    1986 Thunderbird 5.0/AOD