Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

No flippin' idea where the heck this one came from. It's all sorts of odd. No NLR.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Senior Member 85 Speedfreak's Avatar

Seems like we will have to get about 1000 tags and cars in a parking lot and compare notes!
    Automatics are for girls

Neither here nor there

I still have the BuckTag from my GT350, I will scan it later, it has NLR

Blog Entries

I have yet another mystery tag with no NLR sitting here. Cleaning off my desk. Gonna make sure I have a marker with me when I go to the junkyards forever more.

My 85 Mustang GT has 4NLR on the buck tag.
    Is 2A canyon red?
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

2A = Medium Canyon Red Metallic

Thanks Foxchassis!
    Stan
    1986 Ford Mustang Saleen #80 Gray/gray
    1986 Mercury Capri ASC McLaren Coupe#20 Black/silver, gone.
    1985 GT Silver/gray T-top car, gone
    1985 Canyon Red Turbo coupe, gone

Had a thought,

Maybe: New (Next) line run???

I'm wondering if it had something to do with the assembly line, a revision of some sort, maybe tooling, a new option or change in something else.

That would let Ford easily ID what cars got the running changes & perhaps help explain the numbered NLR tags. 2NLR = second new line run and so on???

Just thinking out loud.

FEP Power Member

It seems that someone in one of the hundreds of mustang message boards could find one the employees that worked on the line in the 80's to bring some light on the subject.... Maybe we all need to start posting a buck tag question on some of the other boards and ask if someone there knows someone who worked on the line at the time....

Jason

Okay... after many hours of research.. I believe I've found the answer!!

.... ...

SI
    Smile, it's an easy thing you have complete control over that takes less work than the alternative.

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

Ok..

Had to get the joking out of the way...

Now, seriously.. consider this..

Maybe, just maybe, this is Ford's way of paying homage to our ancestors in GB!!

I found this interesting tidbit.. there was a station called "OLD FORD" along the North London Railway!! (N-L-R)...

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...rd/index.shtml

** you know that sucka was open for just over 100 years?!?!**

SI
    Smile, it's an easy thing you have complete control over that takes less work than the alternative.

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

Foxchassis, have you been keeping track how many NLRs come with numbers in front of them?

I'm thinking "not too many".

MOST cars have NLR. A few have NO NLR. It seems if it was a line change or something, they wouldn't be so lop sided. But who knows. Someday we'll get it.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 85mcLaren
    It seems that someone in one of the hundreds of mustang message boards could find one the employees that worked on the line in the 80's to bring some light on the subject.... Maybe we all need to start posting a buck tag question on some of the other boards and ask if someone there knows someone who worked on the line at the time....

Jason
    I've suggested that once or twice. Not just for Buck Tags but for Build Sheets as well.

As best as I can tell, the NLR code was used from '82 through '86. Haven't found it on tags before '82 or after '86.

Hrmm..

Ok, one more guess for tonight, I promise.

N-oise L-evel R-eduction (the sound dampening crap all over the inside of the body)

SI

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

Quote Originally Posted by negusm
    Foxchassis, have you been keeping track how many NLRs come with numbers in front of them?

I'm thinking "not too many".

MOST cars have NLR. A few have NO NLR. It seems if it was a line change or something, they wouldn't be so lop sided. But who knows. Someday we'll get it.

-Mike
    I am still organizing Buck Tags that I have collected and am in the process of getting more. A quick count and stats of what I have...

34 from '82-'86 Capris
    111 from '82-'86 Mustangs

'82 Capri - 4 w/ NLR, 1 w/o
    '83 Capri - 9 w/ NLR, 0 w/o
    '84 Capri - 10 w/ NLR, 0 w/o
    '85 Capri - 1 w/ NLR, 4 w/o
    '86 Capri - 3 w/ NLR, 2 w/o

'82 Mustang - 9 w/ NLR, 9 w/o
    '83 Mustang - 9 w/ NLR, 7 w/o
    '84 Mustang - 27 w/ NLR, 7 w/o
    '85 Mustang - 15 w/ NLR, 7 w/o
    '86 Mustang - 6 w/ NLR, 15 w/o

Here is what I know about the codes on the last line on all of the tags I have, starting in mid '84 and continuing through the end of '86:

• ELECTRIC was shortened to EL.
    • After the interior trim color code (A, or B, or D, etc.) and CI/EI (if applicable) there was always a two-digit number.
    • After the two-digit number there was always three separate characters, either three numbers or one number, an X, and another number -- all SSPs, all Capris, and all Mustangs after '85, except Comp Prep SVOs, got the three-character arrangement with the X in the middle.
    • Sometimes there is a space between the last character of the three-character arrangement and NLR, if NLR was even on the tag at all, sometimes there was no space.
    • SSPs and Comp Prep SVOs did not have NLR.

I took a stab in the dark a few minutes ago and sent a request for help to the Ford Retired Engineering Executives group (http://www.fordretireeclub.org/)

We'll see if it gets any response.

Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    I took a stab in the dark a few minutes ago and sent a request for help to the Ford Retired Engineering Executives group (http://www.fordretireeclub.org/)

We'll see if it gets any response.

Chris
    I got a reply this morning!

One of the administrators is going to ask their membership. I'm guessing they have a message board.

Chris

I got a reply this morning!

One of the administrators is going to ask their membership. I'm guessing they have a message board.

Chris

Sweet

Thank you

needs lots of repair : thats what it means in my case

how about radiator related?

FEP Senior Member

How about "N..... Liftgate Release". No sure what the "N" would mean though, but my car has the NLR on the buck tag AND has the button in the glove compartment that releases the trunk.
    Rob

1984 GT Convertible: Born November 1983 so it has slapper bars and no fog lights. Has DSO 89 (Transportation Services) and later sold to a Ford VP of Finance in Palo Alto, CA. Medium Canyon Red Exterior, Charcoal Interior, 5.0, 5-speed, power windows and doors, and 85k miles.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ics/?start=all

Ok, I have a good feeling about the ford execs forum maybe getting us something...

but, for giggles..

NLR?

85Speedfreak, can you verify? Do you have this crap on the rear floorboard under your back seat, with paint lines clearly showing it was added before paint.

I'm just sayin..

SI

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

I got a reply from one of the former engineers. Not a definitive answer, but sounds like even the Ford guys aren't sure ;-)

Fox Chassis, can you confirm the SVO comments?

Gentlemen,

My thought about the buck tags with NLR on them meant there were no line changes. SSPs and comparable SVOs did not have NLR on the buck tags. These and others that have changes (either deletions or additions) would need the build sheet for comments. That would require having a decoder sheet..

Some SSPs had add-on braces to help stiffen flexible floor pans. SVOs had aadditional reinforcement to their chassis. There are also references to special models, like the 20th Anniversary Pace Car and Cobra Mustang GTs that were sold in Canada. The Canadian cars required special speedometers and headlight wire harnesses.

The available information on Fox Body cars is, unfortunately, very limited and may never be completely defined - "the lost generation." I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Phil Smith

Exclamation

I got a reply from one of the former engineers. Not a definitive answer, but sounds like even the Ford guys aren't sure ;-)

Fox Chassis, can you confirm the SVO comments?
    Dear Phil...

Thank you, and it's not Fox Body.. It's Fox Chassis....lol.

SI

Have:

'82 GT T-top #24 Red x 2

FEP Power Member

Mike (negsum) - Since our cars are VERY close, it would be intersting to see what the differences are to prove or disprove this new thought.

What would my car have (in a line change that yours did not have).

My car has a sun-roof, but does didn't someone already have Buck tags with No NLR on sunroof and t-top cars ?

I will have to check to see if my car has electric door locks and/or a power hatch release.... If I remember (you can correct me - 85 mclarens were ordered standard with no electric locks and possible no electric hatch release ). If my car has these options, could this be a running line change from a standard order ?

Jason

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast