Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wish me luck

I missed this one also....
    Good luck Bro..remember your not alone,Hell I know a guy
    who thought he bought a lemon .....
    Man I am in deep ...burnin the candle at both ends non stop for
    what seems like months.Long story short.I am into this 85notch
    for well over 6 grand and thats not including gas for my parts chaser,
    cell phone bills,cases of red bull,first aid supplies and winstons.
    (thankfully my boss is wicked cool about letting me do my thing
    and for the most part I can do a little here and there on his time,and he never asks for me a dime for anything(he's thankfull I work for him and not the competiton) roughly 2500 to-3 grand in p/s when she's done.

from the 85 and 2 donor cars...still had to get a decent set of doors,fenders,fuel tank deck lid,front glass....I am thrashing it hard...I'm talking bride of frunkenshteen.Everything steel(with exception of the firewall,roof and some inner rear structure has been grafted,fabricated,blasted,etched,primed,
    seam sealed,sealed and painted
    the dash,wiring harnesses and glass are going back in saturday
    so she'll be water tight by sunday.(I promised my 2 sons I would take Easter off so we could eat hard boiled eggs, sit around and lay farts all day)

hey on a good note "the front fascia aint rotted" DOH
    WHY ???????WHY?????????????
    F.E.P. baby thats why
    see ya soon! D>S>P

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Thanks Skye and dime_store_pony. Since this thread has been revived, I'll post an update. Two days after taking CapriGT (Ken) on that ride, I decided to take the car to work. On the way to work, it began misfiring at high rpms (5,800 or so) while shifting. I could hear and feel a "popping" sound through the intake/carb area. On the way home, it began to do it at all rpms above idle (I'm so glad that I only work 6 miles from home.) As a result, I babied it like crazy on the way home and it has now sat for a week as my brother was about to go on a cruise vacation.

At first, I thought it may have been due to the original spark plugs (of which one was tainted by anti-freeze) which we had cleaned by glass beading. So, I bought new ones and installed them. It still backfired through the intake/carb area. I then bought a new distributor cap and that didn't cure it either. I've now given up.

The good news is that my brother will be back this weekend and hopefully he will be over to look at it. He doesn't think that it's anything serious as we had 200 lbs. of compression in each cylinder. He's of the thinking that if there was something wrong with the valves/cam/lifters/pistons, it would have shown up during that test. I hope he's right!

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Pete sadly I think your only option is a stroker. :P

I wish! I'll just have to take my brother's new 336! He did tell me that if we can't get mine right (I have faith that we will), I could take his 306 and put it into mine for the summer. That'll give us time to figure out what's wrong with it. For some reason, I don't think it's serious so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Could the MSD box be going bad?
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Popping through all rpm's is usually ignition related.

I hope I dont have any issues with my cam's break-in. I have some EDM lifters which was reccomended to me by Ed Curtis for street use. Its still over two-three months away for me though.

Good luck though.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Thanks. I was thinking of the same thing. When the plugs and cap didn't cure it, I was thinking of the MSD6AL box. My brother thinks it may be the coil. I'm sure we'll find it, it's just a question of when. I want to be able to drive it to Connecticut on the 30th, but I also want to drive it daily for a week or two to determine my trust for the 2+ hour ride there. I don't want it to break down on me halfway there or something.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Pete,
    Pull out your rpm pill on the 6al and try it. The rev limiter won't come on and you can rule that out as being bad. Call me if you need a hand on anything.......

A timing light is your friend. Hook one up and make sure things look normal. It should help you narrow down the search anyways..
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Thanks guys. I never thought to try the pill. I'll give that a whirl. As for the timing, I've got it set at 14 degrees and it idles very nicely but when you rev it up, that's when the popping starts. It sounds like I've got a bag of popcorn in it!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    11.49 @ 121.86

307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12