Close

Default Did 84 GT convertible have rear speakers?

Does anyone know where the "rear" speakers should be located on an 84 convertible (if there were rear speakers)?

If no factory rear speakers, what have you seen that works nice for rear speakers?

Thanks
    5.0, T5, Edelbrock heads and intake, mild cam, convertable, Holley 650, Roller rockers, Flowmasters, street radials, reliving my youth, fun!!!

Travis T

The rear speakers are completely behind the rear quarter trim panels beside the back seat.

New User
    Bladensburg, 50 miles NE of Columbus, OH 43005

My 83 has them in the doors, in the lower rear corners.
    New to 4 eyes, Long Time Fan. 1983 Mustang GLX Convertible, 66k original, 3.8 auto

travis is right. my 86 has them in the rear 1/4 panels next to the seat. you can't even tell they should be in there, there isn't a grille.

New User
    Bladensburg, 50 miles NE of Columbus, OH 43005

Right or wrong, my rear speakers are factory installed in the rearmost bottom corner of the doors, and there are no other speakers in the rear, unless they do not work at all. The fronts are in the dash. My car has premium sound with a selectable amp. I'm sure there are differences between years, maybe even models and trim levels.
    For what it's worth, I think the location of mine is a crumby place for speakers, and I may put a set of surface mount ones in the trunk area.

Good luck on yours!
    New to 4 eyes, Long Time Fan. 1983 Mustang GLX Convertible, 66k original, 3.8 auto

FEP Senior Member

Default Re: Did 84 GT convertible have rear speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by 84stang
    Does anyone know where the "rear" speakers should be located on an 84 convertible (if there were rear speakers)?

If no factory rear speakers, what have you seen that works nice for rear speakers?

Thanks
    I have the top of the line (for the time ) AM/FM Cassette w/Amp in my 84 'vert and I have one speaker at the rear of each door, covered with an oddly shaped speaker grill. This is absolutely factory correct for my 'vert and some others I've seen -- speakers might differ depending on the type of stereo option (but I have no idea really), and 79-86 'verts did not have speakers in the quarter trim from what I've read.

rob
    Rob

1984 GT Convertible: Born November 1983 so it has slapper bars and no fog lights. Has DSO 89 (Transportation Services) and later sold to a Ford VP of Finance in Palo Alto, CA. Medium Canyon Red Exterior, Charcoal Interior, 5.0, 5-speed, power windows and doors, and 85k miles.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...ics/?start=all

83 and early 84 verts had the speakers in the back of the door athe the rearmost corner. 84.5 to 90 ( I think) had them in the lower rear quarter trim panel pointed at your feet. 91 to 93 had them in the upper quarter panel trim and there was no side armrests. Some of those also had the window switches located in the middle of the speaker cover but i do not know how that option was delivered. Also there are at least 3 different top boots for those cars. This coincides with the differences in the quarter trim.
    841/2 GT-350 vert
    88 GT vert (wifes)
    96 Mystic Cobra
    66 Gt-350 clone
    76 Bronco
    77 Bronco
    03 Harley-Davidson Softail
    01 Lightning
    08 King Ranch F-150

Well, I can vouch that an '86 vert's rear speakers are mounted in the quarter trim, behind carpet, facing forward, between what I would call the 'front' of the rear seat cushion and the door jam. I know for fact because I replaced the Ford factory speakers just a couple years ago. Had to pull out the bottom rear seat cushion and unfastened the quarter trim enough to pull the bottom of the panel toward the center of the car to access the speakers.

FEP User

My 84' has em behind the rear 1/4s. an i also have the am/fm cassette with factory amp and it all still works !
    1984 Mustang LX coupe,3.3 Straight six.
    1984 Mustang Convertable LX, 5.0 w/AOD.