Close

Thread: Auto Shifter

Default Auto Shifter

Alright so here is my problem, and i feel really stupid asking this, but how do you get the top of the shifter off ! Does it screw off or what ? I just can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. It's a 1985 hatchback.

Dave

reportedly....Push button all the way in and pull stright up...

Never done it myself.
    1986 GT Vert 5.0 EFI ,AOD,3.27's,K&N CAI Kit,2 1/2 H-pipe,No Cats,Flowmaster 40 series.

Quote Originally Posted by wfriedman
    reportedly....Push button all the way in and pull stright up...

Never done it myself.
    takes some "playing" in my experience, but this is the ticket.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

FEP User

That's how you do it. Just have to work it a little
    86 LX Convertable
    88 GT Convertable
    91 GT
    93 Coupe
    04 GT

I've had mine off. I had the same question too. I ran through my Ford Shop Manuals and that is exactly how they say to take it off. Push your button in and yank. If it hasn't been off in a long time, it may not want to come off right away. Be careful if you're pulling hard and it lets loose. I ended up straddling the console pulling up on mine and when it let loose I ended up on the back seats.
    86 Mercury Capri GS 2.3L
    11 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L
    10 Ford Focus SE 2.0L

19 Years of Foureyedpride.com

wish mine woulda stayed on. i just loves to come off whenever i pull back on the shifter. Guess it doesnt matter as much anymore seeing as the piece that the button pushes and pulls the cable that pulls up the "thingy" on the shift gate broke. But yeah it just pulls off when u push the button in.
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.