Close

Default How to remove the pin from the door hinge?

How do you remove the pin from a door hinge? I was looking at the old ones and they have lip on the top and bottom.

Thanks
    2001 Mustang GT - Mineral Grey
    1984 Mustang L - Black
    http://www.GreyGT.com

The easiest and best way is with a Dremel that has a flex shaft and use a fiberglass reinforced cutting disc. Takes less than 5 minutes to go through both of them. I have removed plenty of them and tried other ways.

The bottom one must be cut as low as possible. This is because of the curvature of the door.
    Once your pins are cut through, I use a combination of channel locks to push them out and a hammer/punch to drive them out. I have also used a screwdriver and pushed them out.

Do have a helper. Use a hydraulic jack and a soft piece of wood to support the door. Just bring the arm of the jack up enough to support the weight without pushing up on the door. Attach automotove masking tape to the fender and the door edge. They will meet and it can chip paint.

Pull the door slowly away and you now have access to the bushings. I get these out however I can without messing up the holes in the hinges. The new ones I press in softly with channel locks, making sure that I do not gall the edges. With your helper, slide the door back on and insert the new pins.

Voila!

I'm still accepting Paypal donations.
    85 GT convertible

Thanks for the reply Puter, It really helps out!!!
    2001 Mustang GT - Mineral Grey
    1984 Mustang L - Black
    http://www.GreyGT.com

Travis T

Unfortunately, it seems only the 79-80 cars got the pins with the clips on them.

That's some great advice. Most of it I learned the hard way, (20/20 hindsight). Seriously, great advice.

Body work, (even if you've done a little before), I think patience is the number one requirement. (and I have little or none).
    You can sleep in your race car, but you can't race your house!

Quote Originally Posted by drag79stang
    That's some great advice. Most of it I learned the hard way, (20/20 hindsight). Seriously, great advice.

Body work, (even if you've done a little before), I think patience is the number one requirement. (and I have little or none).
    same here, looked at the pins i bought from the parts store and thought it wouldn't be too bad.... wish i had asked prior to taking on the project. i wish i would have thought of the dremel method. i just unbolted the hinges, then drilled out the flat parts of the pins with a large bit. by the second door i had a little system going with the drill and a couple different lengths of 1/4" extensions to tap them out. doors open beautifully, with no sag whatsoever now. they even stay open now even if i'm parked on an uphill incline. no more busted shins
    79 302 cobra project

Travis T

Mike82, are you talking about doing hinges on the 80 in your signature? If you are, I guess only 79s got the clipped pins. They are just like the ones that are sold in the repair kits, only 79s left the factory that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T
    Mike82, are you talking about doing hinges on the 80 in your signature? If you are, I guess only 79s got the clipped pins. They are just like the ones that are sold in the repair kits, only 79s left the factory that way.
    yuppers. no clips. i wish there were
    79 302 cobra project

I used a cold chisel and a BFH with my bench grinder beside me for sharpening
    Calon

1985 LX Notchback (Project)
    1995 Mustang GT (In For Color Change)

I hate those door pins.. I wish i saw this article when I did the ones in my 87.. would have taken me about ten year less..

Three problems with the way MM did it.

1) No need to grind off the head.
    2) They used the wrong cutting discs.
    3) They took the cut pins out wrong.
    85 GT convertible