Close

Thread: Paint Job info

Default Paint Job info

The only major fix on the 86 GT I just bought is the paint, its faded and cracked and there are about 4 rust spots one on the top of the front left fender 2 on the roof and one on the front of the rear right 1/4 panel. I just wanted to get some opinions on how much I am looking at spending to get the car painted stock color and those rust spots fixed?
    2004 Sonic Blue Mustang GT (mild mods)

1986 Bright Red GT (project)

Somewhere around the $2000 range.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Travis T

That's about right. Check with a local community college that teaches auto body, I know someone who gets all of his show trucks painted at one of these places, and usually it costs little more than materials, and he's never had a problem with the quality.

You do not get a whole lot for $2000.00 in paint and bodywork around here. Keep a close eye on the roof repair. There is usually more rust than you can see from the outside.
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    1986 GT 306 S-trim, M2300k, Bullits 450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Purebreed1
    You do not get a whole lot for $2000.00 in paint and bodywork around here. Keep a close eye on the roof repair. There is usually more rust than you can see from the outside.
    It already looks like it was sanded down to the metal but not sealed so the rust came back a little.

sounds like you are in the same situation as I am a the moment. You defenitely get what you pay for in a paint job, and a good one will not be cheap, a cheap one will not be a good one. the idea to use a community college is a good one, you also might try some the smaller independent shops in your area, make friends with them, and when work is slow for them, see if you can get a cheper deal so they can pay the bills.

Also you said your paint is cracking, that will mean it all needs to come off, and the prep really is the most expensive part of the paint job.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

well I guess I better start saving

I second the "get what you pay for" comment. There is a reason the Autorama cars look so good-- five figure paint jobs. Or the local shop can do it cheap with little prep work, but you won't be happy unless you are merely freshening a daily driver. Most of us are somewhere in between.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

well my 86 is a long term project so I want it to look the best it can, if that means forking over more money then so be it.

I've had my 84 just shy of 17 years now and it is still a project.
    I *almost* did both of my Mustangs that I have now.

On my 84, I also had surface rust and cracking of paint. I put in 110 hours of prep. I learned how to do it by buying a book titled "How To Paint Your Car" available everywhere. A friend that owns a body shop shot the sealer/base/clear because I was too scared to after all the work I put in the prep. That 4-year-old paint job pulled a First in its class at a national show last May as well as other awards.

The vert I did all. There are booth pics in my sig. It came out darn nice If I may say so myself.

The 84 I have about $800 in the job. That includes the labor I paid my friend. The vert I have less and you can see how it turned out.

If it is a project, how about learning to do it yourself? Or, you do some prep work for the body shop (take off parts, perhaps sand and scuff) and save money there.

P.S. This friend gets $1500 for a scuff, seal, and paint (2 stage). All bodywork extra.
    85 GT convertible

I will look into getting that book, I have no prob doing the prep work, its the actual painting that I want to leave to the experts.